PDA

View Full Version : Need a lense - where to buy

middlegray
23-Mar-2008, 20:19
Hello all,

I was donated a Calumet Combo SC monorail recently. It came with a large old Kodak Kodak Commercial Ektar (NO 4 Acme Synchro shutter) lens which is not working. Can anyone suggest me a lens that I can replace this with, and where I can buy it from.

I am fairly new to to LF so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
m

Capocheny
23-Mar-2008, 20:37
Hello all,

I was donated a Calumet Combo SC monorail recently. It came with a large old Kodak Kodak Commercial Ektar (NO 4 Acme Synchro shutter) lens which is not working. Can anyone suggest me a lens that I can replace this with, and where I can buy it from.

I am fairly new to to LF so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
m

Hi m,

I'd suggest a 180 or 210 as a good starter lens... lots of choices. Generally ff5.6's.

You have a couple of options for a place to buy from:

1. Ebay

2. Jim at MidWest Photo (www.mpex.com)

3. Jeff at Badger Graphics (www.badgergraphic.com)

Jim and Jeff are both great to deal with!

4. Post a WTB here on the forum... you're sure to find something that will fall into your price range and requirements.

Lastly, do some research on this forum for highly recommended books to read.

Have fun...

Cheers

Capocheny
23-Mar-2008, 21:25
Hi m,

Lo and behold... here's a 210 f5.6 that would work for your new camera.

Contact Gary and work out a fair price and go from there.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34565

Cheers

PS: m, I have no ties to Garry, the owner of the lens I suggested in the note above.

erie patsellis
23-Mar-2008, 22:05
I'd hold onto that commercial ektar, They're every bit as good as any modern lens. When Carol at Flutot's get's caught up, you'd do very well to invest the $50 or so dollars into getting that shutter working well. Another option is to google Paul Ebel, in Menomonee, WI. He's a straight shooter and doesn't charge a milion dollars.

erie

lenser
23-Mar-2008, 22:52
Agreed with Erie regarding letting Carol work on that lens when she is back at work, but in the mean time, look at KEH.com. Open it under the camera store tab and then look for large format and finally lenses.

I've bought from them for years, always the bargain grade, and had wonderful results.

Tim

CG
23-Mar-2008, 22:58
See if your Ektar is repairable. Absent specifics on what ails it, I'm guessing it's a shutter issue, thus probably fixable.

One firm that seems well recommended is S. K. Grimes in RI www.skgrimes.com They do a lot of LF work, LF lenses, and special adaptations.

C

Gene McCluney
23-Mar-2008, 23:02
Those old Acme shutters are easy to fix. Big parts (for shutters). Most any competent camera repair shop can service them. KEH could service it. Probably just dirty.

middlegray
24-Mar-2008, 05:12
Thank you guys for all the suggestions!

I am going to research all the resources provided here

Thanks much

m

Joseph O'Neil
24-Mar-2008, 05:14
Another vote for fixing the old Ektar. You have a good lens there and the cost of shuuter repair will be cheaper than a new lens or a good used one
joe

Garry Madlung
28-Mar-2008, 21:00
I have a Rodenstock Apo- Sironar-N in excellent condition. Please contact me if you're interested.

Garry

Toyon
29-Mar-2008, 09:00
www.equinoxphotographic.com also repairs shutters, as does Richard Ritter.