PDA

View Full Version : Other boards for Chamonix 45N-1

Hugo Zhang
23-Mar-2008, 11:29
Shame on me I don't use this wonderful camera and don't know the answer. I need help from other Chamonix users for Tony. Thanks.

I" love my 4x5 and need a few more lens boards. I have only used Shen Hao boards. Do you know if anyone has encountered any compatibility problems with boards from other cameras makers (Linhof, Wista, etc). There are also several places that sell generic Linhof-type boards on ebay, and I wondered whether these would be ok."

Daniel_Buck
23-Mar-2008, 12:04
I've used linhof, wista, nikon, and toyoview boards on mine with no problems. For giggles I tried a large 360mm lens in a copal 3 shutter, the shutter hit the front standard and wouldn't completely lock in. Other than that, everything has fit just fine.

roteague
23-Mar-2008, 13:33
I'm using Bromwell boards from B&H on mine. $33.95 new.

Kirk Gittings
23-Mar-2008, 13:53
I'm using Bromwell boards from B&H on mine. $33.95 new.

I too use the generic Bromwell's, but on my Phillips with no problems. Can't beat the price.

Gene McCluney
23-Mar-2008, 14:03
I've used linhof, wista, nikon, and toyoview boards on mine with no problems. For giggles I tried a large 360mm lens in a copal 3 shutter, the shutter hit the front standard and wouldn't completely lock in. Other than that, everything has fit just fine.

I guess you could construct a "TOP HAT" style lensboard to get that to work.

roteague
23-Mar-2008, 14:20
Shame on me I don't use this wonderful camera

Yeah, shame on me as well, because I don't use mine enough. I just got back from a 4 day trip to the Big Island, where I used it once - I shot 35mm the rest of the time. The volcanic haze was quite heavy, so the conditions were just not there for using it (for my style of photography).

Daniel_Buck
23-Mar-2008, 20:37
I guess you could construct a "TOP HAT" style lensboard to get that to work.
I wasn't intending to use the lens, just wanted to see how the camera would hold a monster lens. That's a good suggestion though, if I want to use it on there that will be the fix! Thanks :)

vinny
23-Mar-2008, 21:39
My homeade composite boards that fit my shenhao,wehman, and any other lihnof sized front standard i've come across didn't fit the Chamonix 45n-1. Too thick for the clips that hold them in.

phillip2446
14-May-2018, 19:36
would that be a linhoff technica 3 or 4 board?

Peter Collins
14-May-2018, 20:18
I use the Badger Graphics' ShenHao boards on my 45N-2. The camera likes them and I like the price.

gimenosaiz
15-May-2018, 04:27
Hi!

I use Chamonix and Toyo boards on my F1.

Cheers

cp_photo
15-May-2018, 11:12
I bought a "Luland" board to use with my Nikkor 210mm in Copal 1 and it works perfectly on my 045-N1.

Michael Graves
17-May-2018, 13:51

I had a similar problem with my 300mm Fujinon. Last year I bought some generic #3 boards from a Chinese manufacturer and the lens worked like a charm. It may have to do with positioning of the hole on the board.

Bob Salomon
17-May-2018, 14:44
I had a similar problem with my 300mm Fujinon. Last year I bought some generic #3 boards from a Chinese manufacturer and the lens worked like a charm. It may have to do with positioning of the hole on the board.

The Technika boards have a hole positioned so the optical center of the lens is centered on the film when all controls are at the 0 position. However this hole position will with some longer, 240 and up - non tele design or process lens design, may not allow the board to latch on a Technika. So for those lenses Linhof supplies special boards with a repositioned hole to allow these lens boards to latch properly. These boards have a z after their catalog number. Z for zentral.

Mark Sampson
17-May-2018, 16:12
@phillip2446, all the lens boards mentioned here are in the current Linhof Technika IV/V/Master style. The only camera I know of that takes the older Technika III lens boards is... the Linhof Technika III.

Greg
17-May-2018, 16:23
Beware of Chinese copies. Back when bought 3 different ones because the prices were just too low to pass over trying... one fit, the other two didn't because the raised ring on the back of the board was too large for the Chamonix. Had to ground down the raised ring on those two boards in order to mount them on my Chamonix. Cost savings weren't worth it in the end.... IMO OEM Chamonix boards are worth using... in the end they represent maybe on a fraction of the price of the lens to be mounted on them.
Greg

Corran
17-May-2018, 17:42
Chinese copy of what though? Chamonix boards are made in China, as are Shen-Hao boards, so essentially they are Chinese "copies" of Linhof-style boards.

I've said it before, but, the one time I ordered a number of boards from a common eBay seller, they all came marked Shen-Hao. They were all made well and fit my Chamonix perfectly. The only board I've ever had a problem with was a Wista board that was a bit too wide. I have other Wista boards that work fine though. I have also successfully used boards by Toyo, Nikon, Gaoersi, and of course Linhof.