PDA

View Full Version : Orientatin' Blues cont'd

BigSteveG
19-Mar-2008, 19:33
So here are some pics of my problem ('scuse me for not adjusting the WB).

BigSteveG
19-Mar-2008, 19:38
Here's the last one.
1. Back+GG Frame in Vert orientation
2. Back w/ GG fram removed
3. Back placed in Horiz orientation
4. My hand hold the GG frame against the back
5. Closer view of above. Note the lip on the right side does not allow enough clearance for the spring latches to hook into the catch on the Back.

Any solutions or thoughts?
BTW--I shot some Polaroid today and the front tilt of my camera does AWESOME things!!! I have a box of Tri-X. Just waiting for my holders.

Tracy Storer
19-Mar-2008, 19:41
Disconnect back
disconnect bellows
rotate standard 180 degrees
re-attach back and bellows
Voila!

David Karp
19-Mar-2008, 20:04
You are removing the frame that holds the glass, and not the entire back. The part you are removing is part of the Graflok assembly. It allows you to attach rollfilm backs in place of the GG.

Your SC is one of the older versions, which I think has a slider mechanism that is superior to the modern version. See the two silver pins on either side of the slider mechanism on the top of the back frame? There should be two arrows. One points to the rear, and the other points to the bellows. Depress the pin that allows the slider to move in the direction of the arrow pointing to the back. Make sure you have a hand holding the back so it does not drop. Remove the back, rotate it 90 degrees, and replace the back into the frame. Slide the slider back toward the middle. The reason I think these pins are better than the newer version with the button in the middle is that the pins make it impossible to slide the slider too far and release the bellows, or the back if you are replacing a bellows.

This should help. If not, PM me and I can work on it with you.

David Karp
19-Mar-2008, 20:12
Here is a photo of one of the newer versions of the slider (from a Cambo 45SF, but the mechanism is the same).

To remove the back using this version, you would push down on the center button and push the slider to the right (facing the camera back). On yours, you would push down the pin on the right, and move the slider to the right. Again, make sure that you don't drop the back off the camera. Once you slide the mechanism to the right, the back will no longer be retained.

ericantonio
19-Mar-2008, 21:42
Ahhhhhhhh, I see what you are doing. My first question is...why are taking off the GG? (Besides being curious).
Okay, I'm not bad at tech writing but heres what you do:

1. Remove ENTIRE assembly. Which means, you take out the back by using David's method. You should have, in your hands, the ground glass assembly and the frame that holds it (the piece that the hook thing attaches to.
2. Sit in a nice comfy chair
3. Beer helps
4. Take a deep breath
5. Place back assembly (both parts) on your lap, with the ground glass and the frame together. It should be oriented so that the hook arms (picture #5 is the hook arm you are holding) is on top of your lap (closer to your knees) and the openning part (the part you put the holder in) is towards your...ahem, private area.
6. Look at your 2 thumbs, you have 1 on each hand
7. Place those thumbs on the teeth part of the hooks.
8. At the same time, push both thumbs down to hook in place, and push the GG towards your knees (upwards)
9. Practice removing and attaching a few times.
10. Next time, just remove the entire assembly, not the GG (thumb method)
11. Return to your beer
12. Pat yourself on the back.

Gene McCluney
19-Mar-2008, 23:34
So here are some pics of my problem ('scuse me for not adjusting the WB).

One of 2 basic assembly issues are at fault here. Not sure which issue you have, since I don't have your camera model but it is for sure one of the 2.

It is possible you have the film back on the wrong end of the camera. Some cameras have identical attaching size for film back and lens board. The curved parts of the standard which allow you to "tilt" the standard should not be in the way of the ground glass back. As your camera is assembled, you could not insert a film holder with the GG back in the horizontal position. This is obviously wrong. You solve by interchanging GG back with Lensboard.....or

It is possible that your rear standard has been attached to the monorail 180 degrees in error. The half-round tilt "thingys" in the middle of the standard should be facing front instead of back. You solve by removing GG back, and Bellows and rotating rear standard 180 degrees and reattaching everything, now the tilt "thingys" are facing front, and will not interfere with the assembly of the GG back. You might have to actually remove the rear standard from the monorail and turn it around and put it back on the monorail. The complete GG back (not just the ground glass part) and the Bellows should both unclip from the rear standard, leaving only an empty frame which could be rotated 180 degrees.

The thing about these modular monorail camera systems that allow you to add or subtract parts and pieces as needed, is that there is the danger that the camera was actually assembled wrong the last time it was put together. It appears as if that IS the problem with your camera, based on the photos you posted. It is one of the two issues I outlined above. In all probability you just have the film back on the wrong end of the camera, though. Just interchange with lensboard. Switch 'em out.

ericantonio
20-Mar-2008, 06:19
It is possible you have the film back on the wrong end of the camera.

Good observation!

It looks like the back is oriented the wrong way. BigSteve, the semi-circle piece that tilts the front and rear standard....should be pointing towards the subject.

Ash
20-Mar-2008, 06:39
That should be really easy.

You see the tab along the top? Yours should look similar (but not identical) to DK's photo... push down the top or simply try and slide it along. This should release the whole back piece from the frame. Turn it on it's side and slide the tab along again. That's what you've done right?

The problem is your tilt is in the way.... that's the setup for the minimum bellows draw, but you'd need portrait only shots.

Disconnect the bellows and swap the two frames around, so the D shaped bits are facing inward toward each other, not facing outside.

David Karp
20-Mar-2008, 07:52
Ahh, I see. You are having trouble reinstalling the Graflok back because the standards are in the way. The others are right. Release the bellows from the rear frame and remove the back assembly. rotate the standard 180 degrees. Reinstall everything.

The back should be in this orientation: http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/CC4020K150/

The tilt knob should be facing the front of the camera. That should allow you to depress the silver locks and reinsert the Graflok back.

BigSteveG
20-Mar-2008, 08:30
Ok guys...I will follow you kind instructions tonight and try to get it right. Got in too late last nigt to play w/ the camera. David, you're a fellow Los Angeleno I see. Is there any LF get-togethers in the LA area?

Daniel_Buck
20-Mar-2008, 08:59
Yea, you need to rotate the rear standard by 180 degrees (remove it, flip it, then install it again) It's probably configured for a very wide angle lens right now, and by reversing both standards that puts the lens closer to the film back. But unfortunately when you reverse the rear standard, you can only shoot in portrait orientation. The Cambo cameras seem to be very simple to disassemble, it shouldn't take you but a minute.

aduncanson
20-Mar-2008, 09:22
It is pretty common for eBay sellers of Cambo/Calumet cameras to show the camera with the front standard turned backwards, and last fall even a Calumet print catalog showed a used Calumet camera assembled that way.

ericantonio
20-Mar-2008, 11:31
Ok guys...I will follow you kind instructions tonight and try to get it right. Got in too late last nigt to play w/ the camera. David, you're a fellow Los Angeleno I see. Is there any LF get-togethers in the LA area?

We are all going to Tri Tran in "The OC" to see his 20x24 Chamonix :)
$1.00 a ticket to touch it.

....just kidding Tri....

BigSteveG
20-Mar-2008, 16:28
Problemo solved. All I had to do was unlock and reverse the rear standard (it was set that way when I purchased it) now the back fits in both orientations. You're a swell bunch of fellas!! Now I can go to Joshua Tree this Sat and shoot to my heart's content!!

David Karp
20-Mar-2008, 16:59
Great. Have a wonderful time.

Recently Hugo ringlead a group that met at the Disney Concert Hall, which I missed due to a family commitment. A few of us visited Domenico during his show at LACMA. Unfortunately, we don't have anything formal set up, even though there are a bunch of us here.

ericantonio
20-Mar-2008, 19:09
Great. Have a wonderful time.

Recently Hugo ringlead a group that met at the Disney Concert Hall, which I missed due to a family commitment. A few of us visited Domenico during his show at LACMA. Unfortunately, we don't have anything formal set up, even though there are a bunch of us here.

I have so much kid's sports (and mine too! I cycle). I can barely make it past the 55. Perhaps this summer or maybe someone can organize a Joshua Tree or something....

BigSteveG
20-Mar-2008, 21:42
Disney Hall huh...I live qute close to downtown. Maybe a "photo meet" thread should be started for ideas and communiques on shooting trips.

David Karp
20-Mar-2008, 22:20
It is hard to juggle family, work, and LF photography. Lately I have been taking a lot of photos and putting the undeveloped negs in the fridge. :(