PDA

View Full Version : filter for 65mm superangulon lens

marianb
19-Mar-2008, 16:52
What is the filter size for a 65mm f8 schneider superangulon lens? Is it a standard filter that I need. I will be using it in 6 x 9 view camera.
M

Steve Bell
19-Mar-2008, 17:17
I have the same lens, mine uses a 49mm filter.

marianb
19-Mar-2008, 17:38
Front or back?
Thanks

David A. Goldfarb
19-Mar-2008, 17:50
Front.

Schneider also made a center filter for it with 49mm threads on the back of the filter and 58mm on the front of the filter. I have this filter, but it's very difficult to find. I got lucky and came across one after I'd had the lens for a few years.

marianb
19-Mar-2008, 18:52
I don't understand- what is a center filter?
The lens is ona recessed board-it came with my galvin pocket view camera.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Mar-2008, 18:59
A "center filter" or center neutral density filter is used with wide lenses to reduce falloff of illumination in the corners of the frame. It's a ND filter that is darker in the middle than at the edges. On 6x9 you may not need it with this lens unless you are using, say, a lot of rise/fall or shift. It mounts on the front of the lens like other filters. The front threads of the filter are larger than the rear threads so that you can use it with other filters without vignetting.

Brian Ellis
19-Mar-2008, 19:12
I happen to have a set of 52 mm filters (polarizer, red, green, orange, and yellow) with a 49 > 52 step-up ring that I'm getting ready to sell. The polarizer and two of the others are B+W filters, another is a Heliopan, and another is a Hoya. If you're interested send me an email message and we can talk price.

Peter K
20-Mar-2008, 03:43
Front or back?
Thanks
There is no filter thread on the back of the SA 1:8/65mm. But as Brian has suggested, you can use bigger filters with a step-up ring, so the filter itself doesn't cut the angle of view of your SA 65.

mrladewig
20-Mar-2008, 07:30
I'm in the same boat. I have the SA 65/8 in a Compur 00 shutter. The 00 shutter made it difficult to find a lensboard so I made my own. It does not take a rear filter. It has 49mm front threads. I have been able to use it with a Cokin P holder without vignetting if the holder was square with the camera. I do not use a center filter with it on 4X5, but it would be very nice to have one on 4X5.

Mark Sampson
20-Mar-2008, 10:07
A 65/8 SA used on 6x9cm format (per the original post) shouldn't need a center filter... 4x5 would be another story.

Steve Bell
21-Mar-2008, 05:41
My 65mm F8 has the 00 shutter. I had to modify a 25mm deep recessed Toyo Field lens board by fixing an aluminium plate over the existing copal 3 hole and painting it matt black. The next difficulty was finding a flexible extension for the shutter release as the normal right angle ones didn't like the deeper recessed board. I got one from Focus at the NEC a few years back. It's a nice lens, small and light, but the front standard has to be carefully aligned when the bed is dropped on the 45A to avoid vignetting. Mine has no rear filter thread. I gained the lens with a Technika 70 (6x7) I no longer use.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Mar-2008, 06:07
Mine also has the 00 shutter. I use it on a flat Linhof 23 lensboard with the Wideangle Focusing Device on my 4x5" Tech V and directly on my Tech V 23b.