PDA

View Full Version : Arca B1 Monoball or Level Head AND Tripod For A Lightweight 8X10 Setup???

audioexcels
19-Mar-2008, 13:50
How is the Arca B1 Monoball head, latest version, as a head for a very lightweight 8X10 camera system? I am wanting to put together the pieces I will need for this setup.

Camera will be about 6lbs. Lenses used will be light also.

What is the best route to go either on the cheap or with some expense to save weight and have a precision based tripod setup?

Just to let everyone know, if a tripod weighs 1lb less or something and costs 2X more for 1lb, that's not what I am after. I can sacrifice a little weight especially with relation to price.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations of a nice compact and precise setup!

Pete Roody
19-Mar-2008, 13:57
How is the Arca B1, latest version, as a head for a very lightweight 8X10 camera system? I am wanting to put together the pieces I will need for this setup. Camera will be about 6lbs. Lenses used will be light also. What is the best route to go either on the cheap or with some expense to save weight and have a precision based tripod setup?

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

It (B1) will support it with no problem. However, I strongly suggest you avoid a ball head with an LF camera. Pan/Tilt is the way to go. Get a used B2, or if you can wait, Arca is introducing the Z2 head. It is a pan/tilt head similar to the B2, but smaller/lighter. How long you will have to wait I can't answer. Some people have been waiting years for certain Arca products. I put my order in during the Photo Expo show in October.

Pete Roody
19-Mar-2008, 13:59
An Arca B2 head is overkill for a 6# camera. Better get a 12+ pounder and start shooting.

audioexcels
19-Mar-2008, 14:16
An Arca B2 head is overkill for a 6# camera. Better get a 12+ pounder and start shooting.

Yeah,

I have as sophisticated a levelhead as I could ever wish for, but it turns my 6lb camera into a 12lb one! I'm looking for something that was made for a 6lb camera and not a 20lb camera;):):). Wish I could use the levelhead I have, but the block is so MASSIVE. It must weigh close to 5-6lbs. It would be ideal if I didn't plan to carry holders with me:D

Realistically speaking, I would have to weigh it, but I think it is more like 4lbs. Website says it is 28 ounces=close to two pounds. Add in the Foba and you start getting close to 4lb mark.

See photo...it's an absolutely delicious head, but making a 6lb camera a 10lb camera isn't what I had in mind unless the tripod was 1lb (LOL!).

Daniel_Buck
19-Mar-2008, 14:53
I have the Kirk BH-1 that I use for my slr cameras. Out of curiosity I tried it with my 4x5 (which is about 6lbs or there abouts) it holds just fine. It also holds my 11+lbs 8x10 as well. I find the ball head very awkward to use with the large format cameras, even though it holds when its locked down

Richard Wall
19-Mar-2008, 16:58
I have used the Arca Swiss Z1 ball head to support an old Burks and James 8x10 that weighs about 20 pounds, so the B1 would not have a problem. In my experience the ball heads can be more of a problem on larger cameras than the pan/tilt heads. Although, the Arca Swiss ball heads release tension on the ball slowly, so they are easier to control than something like the Foba Superball (Which I also own). The Foba head releases tension on the ball quickly allowing the camera to flop around if you don't have a good grasp on it.

Richard

How is the Arca B1 Monoball head, latest version, as a head for a very lightweight 8X10 camera system? I am wanting to put together the pieces I will need for this setup.

Camera will be about 6lbs. Lenses used will be light also.

What is the best route to go either on the cheap or with some expense to save weight and have a precision based tripod setup?

Just to let everyone know, if a tripod weighs 1lb less or something and costs 2X more for 1lb, that's not what I am after. I can sacrifice a little weight especially with relation to price.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations of a nice compact and precise setup!

BarryS
19-Mar-2008, 17:12
I've been using a B1 with my tiny Chamonix 45N-1 and have been playing around with my 10 pound plus 2D as well and I think the B1 is perfectly useable. If I could find a 3-axis gear head under 2 pounds, that would be great, but until it's invented, the B1 is stable and compact. Leveling is a little trickier with the B1, but with some practice it's fine. It helps that I have the sliding tripod mount with my 2D so I can adjust the center of gravity, but with a 6 pound camera, the B1 should work fine and not load you down.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Mar-2008, 17:27
While I prefer a pan-tilt head, and really like the B2, I've been experimenting with an Acratech ballhead lately for situations where weight is more of an issue, and it's manageable with some practice.

One thing that's handy if you want to use a single ball head is to use a camera with a circular bullet level like on the Technika instead of cylindrical levels, or use a separate bullet level. Acratech makes one on an Arca-Swiss style plate, if you want to level the head before mounting the camera.

audioexcels
20-Mar-2008, 15:32
What is an average weight considered for a head and an 8X10 field type camera-6/8lbs max? I know the tripod must be sturdy/rigid, but I question if weight can be reduced by using a more solid head on a lighter weight tripod or if the more sturdy head would crunch the tripod (hehehe):)

Any thoughts and also average weight to be expected for a tripod head on "any" camera that is 6-8lbs or so.

David A. Goldfarb
20-Mar-2008, 16:30
Well, the Acratech is 1 lb. and designed to be ultralight for its strength. Other ballheads of similar strength are around 1.5-2.5 lbs, and three-way pan-tilt heads suitable for a camera of that size are generally around 2-3 lbs. Gearheads are a little heavier.

If you want to use long lenses, then get a head rated for 20 lbs. or more. If you plan to use only wide to normal lenses and not do too much macro work requiring long bellows extensions, you can get a smaller head.

Frank Petronio
20-Mar-2008, 16:45
You're probably fine with a 3-series Carbon Gitzo and the B1 (or the larger RRS, Kirk< Markins, etc.) unless you go to extremes > 300mm lenses, etc, a 6 lb 8x10 is pretty light for the size, but you want a little extra umph to your set up especially if the spring back is tight. Loading holders tends to stress the set-up.

scott_6029
20-Mar-2008, 20:34
I prefer pan tilt for 8x10 on up. For 4 x 5 I can get away with the arca ball head.