PDA

View Full Version : printing problem: shadow at edge of projected image

tom raff
30-Dec-2000, 07:30
Hi All, and apologies if I'm repeating some often-answered query... just don't e ven know what to call the problem. Anyway, I recently got a beseler 4x5 dichroic color head for b/w printing. A band of light occurs along the edge of the image projected on the paper. It casts a shadow on the projected image and an adjacen t band of light outside the projected image. To my very amateur eyes it seems li ke a reflection from the vertical edge of the negative carrier (at the edge of t he negative). What is it, and what can I do?

If it seems like I'm a guy with a bunch of equipment who has no idea what he's d oing... you're right. I live in a small town in the Middle East. It's just me, a n inherited Crown Graphic, a Beseler enlarger and three Ansel Adams books. You a re my only help!

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Tom

Doremus Scudder
30-Dec-2000, 07:47
Tom, You've correctly identified the problem (who says you don't know what you are doing!). There are several solutions: 1. Try applying some flat black paint to the edges of the negative carrier. A lot of times the black paint is rather shiny and reflects a lot of light. 2. File the edges of the negative carrier so that they are at approximately a 45-degree angle instead of vertical. 3. Leave a little "breathing room" at the edge of your negative when you compose and then crop in a bit when printing (I'm sure the full-frame purists are shuddering at the suggestion). Hope this helps, ;^D)