PDA

View Full Version : Attitude

Bill_1856
18-Mar-2008, 12:54
I don't know why, but printing in a good darkroom is a real joy, so long is there's no big limitation on time.
Cleaning up afterwards is really the only downside.
An then the next morning when the "perfect prints" from last night have darkened just enough that they've got to be thrown away and redone. Well, THAT part always sucks.

Sanjay Sen
18-Mar-2008, 17:09
That, I believe, is called dry-down! :D

Bill_1856
18-Mar-2008, 19:38
That, I believe, is called dry-down! :D

Actually, at my house it's called G.D.M.F.S.O.B. Dry-Down!

Diane Maher
19-Mar-2008, 05:14
Actually, at my house it's called G.D.M.F.S.O.B. Dry-Down!

:D LOL! I know that feeling too! I've had it happen with my pt/pd prints. :mad: Oh well, it hasn't happened in a while, but I haven't printed in a while. :)

jetcode
19-Mar-2008, 06:33
I used a Zone VI timer that had dry down compensation built in. Basically if you use a hair dryer carefully you can inspect a dry print in 15-20 minutes. I liked RC paper because it was faster to work with. Once an image is dialed in then switch to fiber and fine tune.

Ron McElroy
19-Mar-2008, 06:49
Even though I use a timer with drydown, I've found in my darkroom that viewing the wet print on a vertical surface in low light approximates the drydown of the print. In my case its a 15watt white blub and the print is place on a 20x24 sheet of grey PVC.

Deane Johnson
19-Mar-2008, 07:02
Believe it or not, you can use a microwave to check dry down in about 30 seconds.

Bryan Lemasters
19-Mar-2008, 09:24
AA used the microwave method.

Bryan Lemasters
19-Mar-2008, 09:28
................in his later years.

Mark Sampson
19-Mar-2008, 09:57
In my microwave it takes 2 min. for DW paper. I miss Kodak's Polymax Fine-Art F, which didn't dry-down appreciably. The Ilford and Oriental papers that (sort of) replaced it do dry down, but I've got that figured out now. It's not surprising that Adams nuked his test prints- the movie going around shows him using an Amana RadarRange- I believe the 1st microwave on the market.

Sanjay Sen
19-Mar-2008, 17:35
I've found that Slavich Bromportrait has very little dry-down. Anyone else tried this paper and noticed the same thing?

Bill_1856
20-Mar-2008, 09:23
That brings up another question: is it better to have a paper which has a lot of dry down (which you know is going to happen and compensate), or just a teeny tiny amount which leaves you with a print too good to throw way, but not perfect enough either?

John Z.
25-Mar-2008, 09:33
Does microwaving the print truly duplicate the drydown effect the same way? I have always thought that air drying led to more drydown than microwaving.

Rob_5419
25-Mar-2008, 09:46
I don't know - after I exploded an egg in our first microwave, I never heard the end of it.

We sold the microwave shortly after, deciding that it was too high teck for me to master.