PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 20x24 convertible is here.

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 18:00
Dear Friends
Finally the wait is over. The 20x24 Chamonix landed here last week safe and sound. I took a few snap shots for your viewing. The camera measured 27 inches all around ( 4 inches compared with the non convertible one). Here‘s my configuration
20x24 Dark Walnut wood convertible with single bellow length at 45 inches weight 35 lbs
Bellow extension can go up to 65 inches with carbon fiber extension.
Standard Toyo lens board Carbon Fiber.
All 3/8 tripod holes.
Again,thanks to Hugo and Hass ( the Chamonix owner) for their time to coordinate all this and make it happen, great packaging, S& H and the opportunity to own this beauty . If you wish to see more detail pictures please let me know and I will try to post some more. Time to test it out. Cheers.

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 18:13
Pictures here.

Rick Olson
17-Mar-2008, 18:16
Tri ...

Nice. What a treat. My 8 x 20 is starting to feel small. Maybe time for a 12 x 20!

Enjoy it.

Rick

Ken Lee
17-Mar-2008, 18:16
The photos that you have attached, are rather small. It would be great to see the details.

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 18:25
The photos that you have attached, are rather small. It would be great to see the details.

Ken, I don't know why I couldn't post it bigger. I will try again later.

ericantonio
17-Mar-2008, 18:28
Pictures here.

This thing is HUGE!!!
Orange County? We are neighbors! I live in Woodbridge....
That thing is going to make my 4x5 (coming in July) look like a pimple.

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 18:36
hope this helps.

Mike Castles
17-Mar-2008, 18:37
Congratulations Tri, you must be very proud and excited. I for one can not wait to see what beautifull work you will make with it.

Asher Kelman
17-Mar-2008, 18:47
Congratulations Tri, you must be very proud and excited. I for one can not wait to see what beautifull work you will make with it.I second these good wishes! I hope to see this in person soon. If we do nudes with this, she could almost walk out of the picture! So what lenses do you have for this and how much extension will you need for indoor figure studies and headshots?

Asher

Don Hutton
17-Mar-2008, 18:48
I remember telling you ULF was a disease....!!!

Looks awesome Tri - I am certain that you will do some fabulous work with it.

eddie
17-Mar-2008, 19:05
great camera! i can not wait till my 8x10 arrives!

eddie

Hugo Zhang
17-Mar-2008, 19:08
Tri,

Beautiful!!! Your guys really should see Tri's platinum prints.

Maybe you should mention that it has a twin blonde sister looking for a nice man?:)

Asher Kelman
17-Mar-2008, 19:20
Tri,

Beautiful!!! Your guys really should see Tri's platinum prints.

Maybe you should mention that it has a twin blonde sister looking for a nice man?:)
Yes but the truth is she's straight!

Asher

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Mar-2008, 19:33
Tri, you had to go and post a WALNUT 20x24!!! My favorite wood. It looks awesome, congratulations! I must resist... I promised myself no more cameras after the Walnut 11x14. Almost twice as big...Hum....

Jim

matthew blais
17-Mar-2008, 19:49
Damn...nice rig. Hope to meet up sometime and check this bad boy out..

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 19:51
I second these good wishes! I hope to see this in person soon. If we do nudes with this, she could almost walk out of the picture! So what lenses do you have for this and how much extension will you need for indoor figure studies and headshots?

Asher

Hi Asher,
Did you see that lens? It's the Enryscope No 6. That's the lens for next Chamonix shoot out. Head and shoulder shot with that lens the bellow drag out about 50 inches with the monopod supported. I will post that picture soon.

Hi Mike,
Taking picture is one thing. To deal with this size is another issue, I hope I can handle it.Thanks.

Don,
Remeber that head and tripod? Can't leave home without it. Thanks again.

Hugo Zhang
17-Mar-2008, 19:59
Matt,

Tri is waiting for you for bring down your beautiful models for our figure/nude shoot. He can't wait to try the virgin shot of his 20x24" on a live beauty.:)

Hugo

Asher Kelman
17-Mar-2008, 20:12
Matt,

Tri is waiting for you for bring down your beautiful models for our figure/nude shoot. He can't wait to try the virgin shot of his 20x24" on a live beauty.:)

We'll send you pictures! We promise!

Asher

domenico Foschi
17-Mar-2008, 20:17
intimidating...
Congrats, Tri, it's a beauty.

Asher Kelman
17-Mar-2008, 20:25
Hi Asher,
Did you see that lens? It's the Enryscope No 6. That's the lens for next Chamonix shoot out. Head and shoulder shot with that lens the bellow drag out about 50 inches with the monopod supported. I will post that picture soon.

Interesting Tri that the only reference on the web I've found to that lens is to one other here by you! Most others, no doubt know the lens. What's the story about it. I looked at the mount and it's beautiful! Maybe it's known also under another name.

It seems that Chamonix might have made the mount customized for this unique lens. I'm puzzled why the Toyo lensboard and not the Sinar? It's counterintuitive not to have one standard!

I'm so impressed by the beauty of Chamonix! This is one of the greatest lead free imports from China!

Asher

One thing I wish Chamonix had dome was to take a lesson from the antique cameras and allow the lens to remain in place when the camera is folded by having a large open circular base for the tripod mount. The lens is then accomodated in this large space.

Tri Tran
17-Mar-2008, 20:31
It seems that Chamonix might have made the mount customized for this unique lens. I'm puzzled why the Toyo lensboard and not the Sinar? It's counterintuitive not to have one standard!

Must be thanks to Sandy for his suggestion with Toyo board and I ordered accodingly for this lens flange.

Geert
18-Mar-2008, 02:15
Great camera!
May I ask what kind of ground glass is attached? Acrylic?

Kind regards,
Geert

walter23
18-Mar-2008, 02:35
That's not a camera, that's a kitchen table!

Yeesh. Amazing.

Don Hutton
18-Mar-2008, 03:54
It seems that Chamonix might have made the mount customized for this unique lens. I'm puzzled why the Toyo lensboard and not the Sinar? It's counterintuitive not to have one standard! Asher

The Toyo boards are larger than Sinar boards which is an advantage with cameras for huge formats - many of the barrel lenses which cover are simply too large to fit onto a Sinar board.

snuck
18-Mar-2008, 04:12

Yeesh. Amazing.

yeah I was about to say that... nice folding table!

Mike Castles
18-Mar-2008, 05:12
Hi Mike,
Taking picture is one thing. To deal with this size is another issue, I hope I can handle it.Thanks.

Good point Tri, would be most interested in hearing about not only setting up for a photograph, but also how the change in format changes your processing - film developement, printing (now these big boys are going to take some serious metal salts for a plt/pld print). These are the discussions we do not hear about as often...but are of interest (at least to me). Thanks

David A. Goldfarb
18-Mar-2008, 05:40

Yeesh. Amazing.

I've been wondering about how to deal with one of these in our small Manhattan apartment. Just throw a tablecloth over it, yeah, that's the ticket...

Daniel_Buck
18-Mar-2008, 08:45
I guess back-packing is out of the question with this guy!

How do you use this camera, is it mostly a studio camera? or do you manage to bring it out to the wilderness somehow? I bet it's fun to use once you get it setup! :-D

Songyun
18-Mar-2008, 10:08

Yeesh. Amazing.

No, No, No,
We call it Majiang table.:D :D

Nick_3536
18-Mar-2008, 10:23
I've been wondering about how to deal with one of these in our small Manhattan apartment. Just throw a tablecloth over it, yeah, that's the ticket...

You know those things for wall mounting TVs? That's the ticket -) Take the ground glass off and I bet you could even leave the TV in place :D

matthew blais
18-Mar-2008, 12:01
Matt,

Hugo

heehee..ya'll got to set a date and get me details..
I only pimp out the live ones anyway

Asher Kelman
18-Mar-2008, 12:13
Asher

The Toyo boards are larger than Sinar boards which is an advantage with cameras for huge formats - many of the barrel lenses which cover are simply too large to fit onto a Sinar board.

Then, I guess, Don, that Chamonix might consider Toyo boards for the 8x10 upwards.

Asher

sanking
18-Mar-2008, 12:19
Hi Tri,

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice looking camera and still very light compared to the Ebony and Canham, and quite a bit more bellows draw than my RR.

How does the camera convert? Is this a standard reversing back?

Sandy

David Luttmann
18-Mar-2008, 12:53
Man....

....makes my 4x5 look like a Minox!!!

Tri Tran
18-Mar-2008, 15:23
Great camera!
May I ask what kind of ground glass is attached? Acrylic?

Kind regards,
Geert

Geert,
It came with the low E tempered glass for safety , you don't want to see that big sheet of glass flying on front of your face right? Just kidding :) . It's flexiglass though.

Sandy,
I received a little package today , thanks again to ship it out promtly.The convertible back is hold by several locking notches along the side of the camera and is pretty easy to unlatch and flip the back if you want vertical or horizontal.I will post some pictures how it designed later on.

Daniel,
The set up that you see is on the carbon fiber tripod is mine field set up and it set on the Samsonite luggage cart with 3 holders and the tripod and I'm set to go. It can go as far as surface wheelchairs accessible. I guess we don't backpack and hike with our furnitures do we?

I will post my other studio configuration set up with the extenson bellow and tripod for your viewing later this week. Happy shooting.

Alex Wei
18-Mar-2008, 18:59
Wow! that's a nice camera! waiting for more pictures.

I guess you can put a model inside of this thing :)

Jan Pedersen
18-Mar-2008, 19:10
Congrats Tri.. That is an awesome good looking monst, sorry camera.

jan

Tri Tran
18-Mar-2008, 22:05
Congrats Tri.. That is an awesome good looking monst, sorry camera.

jan

Thanks Jan. No doubt Chamonix make beautiful furniture that is exactly my wife asked me did you order any furnitures when the camera was delivered.

Again. Here are few more shots for the double bellow and extension as promised.Time to go for a back massage now :)

BarryS
19-Mar-2008, 06:38
That camera is one of the seven wonders of the photographic world. Tri-- you need to attach bigger jpegs so we can enjoy the details. Any time I'm in Southern California, I would gladly act as your Sherpa on a shoot. :)

Monty McCutchen
20-Mar-2008, 14:52
Tri,

Your new camera is beautiful! I look forward to seeing your outstanding work in all its glory. I would love to hear how you end up seeing in this format as well. I am amazed at how many verticals I do with my 20 x 24. Probably 65 to 70 percent are verticals. That has been a revelation to me as I forge through learning how to use these monsters. Keep me posted as to how you find your new vision.

all my best,

Monty

Mike Boden
20-Mar-2008, 15:55
Tri,

That is one beautiful camera. Is there any way you could post bigger JPGs? Something around 600px or bigger?

Thanks,

Mike

Tri Tran
20-Mar-2008, 17:09
Monty,
Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking forward to do some portraits shots as soon as I get to know how to handle the camera better.

Mike,
Hope this will work per your requested.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5599/img8360cq0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1051/img8359tb8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2295/img8369ku
9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4295/img8374sn8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3994/img8348fr3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

buze
21-Mar-2008, 18:06
Oh no ! They mounted the LCD upside down !! typical "made in china" carelessness !

:D

/me with the cute, wonderfully finished, tiny 45N-1 :D

Asher Kelman
21-Mar-2008, 20:18
At least they didn't screw up the "Live View" on the LCD!

Mine has the video hookup missing!

Asher

Jan Pedersen
21-Mar-2008, 20:22
Asher, You got the early version of the 810, i have been told that mine will be perfect!

jan

Gustavo
28-May-2008, 16:25
Tri are these the photos you told me about?