PDA

View Full Version : Praises on new Arca Swiss F-Metric 8X10

Ling Z
17-Mar-2008, 16:42
Now I am a happy owner of an Arca Swiss F-Metric 8x10 camera. I've used Sinar, Linhof and Ebony cameras, frankly speaking, this is the most beautiful camera I've ever seen. It's good to see Arca Swiss continue their efforts improving their large format product line, and I believe Arca Swiss might be only one that still focuses on LF metal camera development.

1. The Arca 810 is very light, about 9lbs. I've used Sinar 8x10, its heavy weight is really a pain;
2. With the help of front frame extender, the camera has plenty of front rise;
3. The new rear frame now has 6cm rise, though it's not geared, it's definately better than none;
4. The ground glass back has a hydraulic bail. It's really a joy to insert or remove film holders. To insert the film holder, you just need to pull the bail arm once and the back will be held open. Then pull the arm again, the back will close gently.
5. The new bellows is very soft and flexible. My 65mm lens can focus at infinity without any problem. Com'on, which 65mm lens can cover 8x10?

Ling

Songyun
17-Mar-2008, 16:54
Com'on, which 65mm lens can cover 8x10?

Ling

Maybe Hypergon 60mm?:D
Is this one new from factory? what is the exact weight of this camera?

john collins
17-Mar-2008, 16:56
Congratulations Ling, It's a beauty.

Walter Calahan
17-Mar-2008, 16:59
Wow, congratulations.

I am humbled. At least I have a 4x5 Arca.

Jorge Gasteazoro
17-Mar-2008, 17:26
Where did you get the extender?

sethf22
17-Mar-2008, 17:48
I would also like to know where you got the extender. I have had one on order for 22 months.

Seth

Ling Z
17-Mar-2008, 18:18
Here are my answers to above questions:

1. The camera (F-Metric front format frame w/ micrometric Orbix, rear format frame, F-Metric front/rear function carriers, extender, bellows, ground glass back) weighs 9lbs. The 50cm optical telescopic bench weighs 2lbs.

2. The front format frame extender is an Arca Swiss accessory (#069000), which can be ordered from badgergraphic, photomark or B&H. It costs about $265 to $280.

Ling

audioexcels
17-Mar-2008, 19:06
Here are my answers to above questions:

1. The camera (F-Metric front format frame w/ micrometric Orbix, rear format frame, F-Metric front/rear function carriers, extender, bellows, ground glass back) weighs 9lbs. The 50cm optical telescopic bench weighs 2lbs.

2. The front format frame extender is an Arca Swiss accessory (#069000), which can be ordered from badgergraphic, photomark or B&H. It costs about $265 to $280.

Ling

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how does that 90XL look on the GG?

Ling Z
17-Mar-2008, 20:01
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how does that 90XL look on the GG?

Mike, you need an image circle of at least 300mm to cover 8x10. 90XL has only 259mm in image circle, but I can try it tomorrow. 110XL is the widest angle lens I used for 8x10.

Rory_5244
17-Mar-2008, 20:26
The bellows looks like an improvement to my older 171 model 8x10 F-metric Arca. That, and the added rise to the rear standard. Congratulations on your new camera! However, I don't consider the Arca beautiful, more like really scary looking.

audioexcels
17-Mar-2008, 20:29
Mike, you need an image circle of at least 300mm to cover 8x10. 90XL has only 259mm in image circle, but I can try it tomorrow. 110XL is the widest angle lens I used for 8x10.

You'll be surprised at what you see. I have heard that the 90XL will light up most of the 8X10 GG. It has an "actual" rated IC at infinity F22 of 287mm's...It supposedly lights everything but the severe ends of the GG. I'd be curious of your findings, though obviously I would never shoot it on an 8X10 at infinity, but I won't be using the full sheet of 8X10 either;)...

Thanks Ling and again, what a beauty that camera is.

Rory_5244
17-Mar-2008, 20:36
Oh, I forget. Be careful with the format frame extender when you compress the camera standards together for transport in your camera bag: the extender can damage your bellows by rubbing against it. I stuff a piece of foam between the bellows and the front standard to prevent that. Well, just my 2 cents.

walter23
17-Mar-2008, 20:47
Com'on, which 65mm lens can cover 8x10?

Ling

You could do some pretty crazy extreme wide pinhole stuff.

Stephen Willard
17-Mar-2008, 20:53
Hi Ling,

I am considering getting an 8x10, but only for shooting 5x7 or 4x10. Surprised? I need a camera body that can support the weight and bellows requirements necessary for the Nikkor T 1200mm lens which is 760mm (30") or more. I plan to purchase two reducing backs for the 5x7 and 4x10 respectively. I may play with 8x10 on occasions, but that is about it.

Currently, I am considering the Ebony 8x10 SV810 mahogany which weighs in around 12 pounds. Can you or any body else comment on your experiences with other cameras, your research into 8x10, and what I intend to do?

Thanks...

Mike Herring
17-Mar-2008, 23:26
Hi Ling,

A very wise decision! I have the Arca-Swiss 4x5 Monolith and I consider it to be the finest camera I have ever used. Congratulations and I wish you many excellent images.
Take care,
Mike

john collins
18-Mar-2008, 04:24
Ling, is that a 141 front standard?

Pete Roody
18-Mar-2008, 04:47
The bellows looks like an improvement to my older 171 model 8x10 F-metric Arca. That, and the added rise to the rear standard. Congratulations on your new camera! However, I don't consider the Arca beautiful, more like really scary looking.

I have the older (171 frame) model and the new bellows for the 141 frame camera is an improvement. I got to play with it at the View Camera conference in Springfield and at Photo Expo in nyc. With a 150 Nikkor SW focused at infinity, you exceed the coverage of the lens with movements. There was no stress on the bellows. When extended to 400-600mm, there is no sag either. The edges are more exposed so you would have to be a little more careful though.

I asked Arca if they planned on making a 171 to 141 lensboard adapter that you could use to convert the older model to the newer bellows. They said no. Oh well. On the bright side, I won't be tempted.

resummerfield
18-Mar-2008, 06:14
Oh, I forget. Be careful with the format frame extender when you compress the camera standards together for transport in your camera bag: the extender can damage your bellows by rubbing against it. I stuff a piece of foam between the bellows and the front standard to prevent that. Well, just my 2 cents.I have the same setup, and I agree with Rory. I reversed one of the dovetails on the extender, so the knob on the extender faces forward.

resummerfield
18-Mar-2008, 06:31
...... The new rear frame now has 6cm rise, though it's not geared, it's definately better than none.......I just noticed that! Very nice!

audioexcels
18-Mar-2008, 11:24
Ling, is that a 141 front standard?

It looks an aweful lot like the 110 standard.

evan clarke
18-Mar-2008, 12:33
I have the older (171 frame) model and the new bellows for the 141 frame camera is an improvement. I got to play with it at the View Camera conference in Springfield and at Photo Expo in nyc. With a 150 Nikkor SW focused at infinity, you exceed the coverage of the lens with movements. There was no stress on the bellows. When extended to 400-600mm, there is no sag either. The edges are more exposed so you would have to be a little more careful though.

I asked Arca if they planned on making a 171 to 141 lensboard adapter that you could use to convert the older model to the newer bellows. They said no. Oh well. On the bright side, I won't be tempted.

The new bellows needs a 141 frame, the bellows does not attach to the lensboard...EC

Pete Roody
18-Mar-2008, 12:57
The new bellows needs a 141 frame, the bellows does not attach to the lensboard...EC

You can put the lensboard adapter on the backside of the front frame and attach the bellows to it. I am assuming that the bellows frame and lensboard fit the same as they do on the other Arca systems. All you would need is a 171 to 141 lensboard adapter.

evan clarke
18-Mar-2008, 16:45
You can put the lensboard adapter on the backside of the front frame and attach the bellows to it. I am assuming that the bellows frame and lensboard fit the same as they do on the other Arca systems. All you would need is a 171 to 141 lensboard adapter.

I have 5 Arca cameras, tons of accessories and have been using them for years, the only way you could do this is to glue it to the lensboard..EC

Ling Z
18-Mar-2008, 17:08
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, this is a 141 front frame. If you wanna convert the old 171 model to the 141 bellows, I would suggest you talk to S.K. Grimes if they can make a 171/141 adapter for you. Actually I like the 171 front frame better as it has more rise than 141.

Pete Roody
18-Mar-2008, 18:38
I have 5 Arca cameras, tons of accessories and have been using them for years, the only way you could do this is to glue it to the lensboard..EC

If you detach your bellows from the front format frame, turn the frame around, you can reattach the bellows to the other side of the format frame. Both the bellows and lensboard can attach to either side of the format frame with f-line/m-line cameras.

You can use a 171/110 bellows on a camera that has 2 171 format frames. Just attach the 171/110 lensboard adapter to the back side of the front standard and attach the 110 end of the bellows to it. You can also use a Sinar 4x5 bellows on an Arca 171 camera if you have two 171/Sinar lensboard adapters. You can use a Sinar shutter this way. It works. I've done it (with the older shutter type Sinar shutter), but it is difficult to remove the shutter from the lensboard adapter.

I asked Phillipe Voight about availability of an Arca 171 to 141 adapter and he told me they had no plans to introduce one. I told him about using it to attach the bellows this way and he agreed it would work, but he said if I wanted to use the new bellows, I should invest in a 141 front format frame. I declined. I will just switch to my WA bellows when I need movements.

I agree with you that you could also glue the 141 bellows to a 171 lensboard to use the bellows.

Rory_5244
18-Mar-2008, 20:44
Anyone have any complaints about wobble in the rear 8x10 standard when it is locked down with some tilt applied? Do the monolith function carriers have geared tilt, and how much bigger are the monolith carriers compared to the regular carriers? Thanx.

Sheldon N
18-Mar-2008, 21:07
Actually I like the 171 front frame better as it has more rise than 141.

Actually, I believe that both the 141 and 171 frames have the same amount of rise available (100mm).

Ling Z
18-Mar-2008, 21:24
Actually, I believe that both the 141 and 171 frames have the same amount of rise available (100mm).

Sheldon, 141 has 85mm only. Attached please see the comparison.

Ling Z
18-Mar-2008, 21:34
Anyone have any complaints about wobble in the rear 8x10 standard when it is locked down with some tilt applied? Do the monolith function carriers have geared tilt, and how much bigger are the monolith carriers compared to the regular carriers? Thanx.

Rory, I agree there's slight wobble in the rear standard when it's locked down. This is due to the nature how the frame is attached to the F-Metric function carrier. I also noticed the standard was much more steady if the same frame is attached to a Monolith function carrier. The Monolith function carriers do have geared tilt/swing, but they are much bigger and heavier. You can tell the difference from the attached picture.

Sheldon N
18-Mar-2008, 22:10
Sheldon, 141 has 85mm only. Attached please see the comparison.

Yes, you are right. I should have looked at my own 141 instead of trusting the B&H website specifications!

Rory_5244
18-Mar-2008, 22:36
Thank you for that picture comparison, Ling! My thanks.

luis a de santos
19-Apr-2008, 18:36
Hi Ling.
Could you be so kind to explain how the extender works for extra rise?
I have never seen one and I am curious.

Thanks in advance Luis

resummerfield
19-Apr-2008, 19:14
.....Could you be so kind to explain how the extender works for extra rise?......The extender is a small block about 60mm high, that you place between the front function carrier and the format frame. Here is the stock photo from Badger.