PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley's W2D2 developer

Arthur Nichols
28-Dec-2000, 09:48
Hi, I have been using PMK with FP4+ and have been getting good results, but some times I find the highlights a little to soft. Can anyone give me some feedback on Wimberley's formula ? I am looking for a pyr o formula that does not stain with such a yellow green color, and that I can do minus and plus development.Any help is appreciated. Thank You

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2000, 11:46
You might check with Photographers' Formulary. I think it's in San Diago. (Do they have a website?) I was recently at a presentation of John's, and it's my recollection he mentioned that his pyro formula is available at that location.

pat krentz
28-Dec-2000, 12:43
The Formulary is in Montana, I can tell that you have not done a personal exposure index test, because you would not have the problem you speak of with softness in the whites, if you calibrate your film and paper to your equipment you will elimeninate these type of problems, I have used pyro developers for years and have never had a problem with them when a I did the PEI tests which give you a basis to start from and then you can go back through and find out of it is exposure or development that is causing your problem, jumping to another developer is not going to help you in the long run. Pat

pat krentz
28-Dec-2000, 12:51
Other pyro developers which do not have the yellow-green stain are: Kodak D-7, Kodak SD-1 and Kodak A-B-C, of which IMO SD-1 gives the heavest stain (brownish), but I have used this developer with all film formats and including 35mm techpan (iso 100) had excellent results. Pat

Don Feinberg
28-Dec-2000, 18:14
Give a try to DiXactol, available from the Formulary.

I've been using it for about 18 months, as an alternative to PMK. It's catachol based, so brown stain -- exactly what's needed for (a) VC paper, and (b) not hav ing to compensate highlights. It produces negs of amazing sharpness.