PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mtn National Park...

trink408
11-Mar-2008, 07:32
I'm looking into taking a trip out west to visit the park sometime this spring, and I'm wondering if there are any locals on this board that might be able to advise on the weather, park conditions, and when would be a good time to head out.

I plan to sleep in the bed of my truck, and I would like to hike the glacier trail, and some of the lower elevations. I realize the upper road across the park will still be closed.

Really looking for any suggestions on making this a good trip.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Ted Harris
11-Mar-2008, 07:38
Kevin,

Why not come to foto3 www.foto3-2008.info. Some of the pre conference workshops will do some shooting in Rocky.

Weather can be unpredictable ... not much else to say. Make sure you book a space for your truck well in advance or you may find yourself parked far from facilities.

trink408
11-Mar-2008, 08:02
Thanks for the tip, I didn't really think about not being able to find a place to park my truck... I don't need much else.

That linky no worky for me...

mrladewig
11-Mar-2008, 13:20
Kevin,

There are several of us who live in the general area. I live in Colorado Springs, about 3 hours south.

As far as weather goes, anything goes. You could see 2 feet of snow, or warm and sunny. Hard to say without more specifics as to when in the spring. One of our largest snowstorms ever came in late March, 2003 and brought up to 80 inches of snow to some areas. Last year we had a good snow (8-12 inches) in the mountains above Colorado Springs on May 24 last year. Here is a shot from that storm. http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/766-1/GOG_20070524_01.jpg The shot was taken from around 6500 feet. It looks like snow was at 9000 feet.

As far as the trails go, I hiked to dream lake in June last year and was hiking in the snow in many places. You might need snowshoes through May and even June depending on how much travel the route you're planning to hike has seen in the winter and spring. You should get a set of light gators to keep snow out of your boots.

Trail Ridge Road is typically open by memorial day, literally.

Camping in your truck is generally frowned upon in the National Parks, especially if you don't have a camping permit.

Ted Harris
11-Mar-2008, 15:40
link fixed

Michael T. Murphy
11-Mar-2008, 15:47
Here is the correct link for Foto3:

http://www.foto3-2008.info/

I used to live in Monument, just north of Colorado Springs. We had 3.5 acres and were only 6 miles from the National Forest. I miss it desperately!

It is so grey here in Michigan from November to April. We get 169 days of sun here, none in winter, compared to 300+ days in Colorado.

For the first 2-3 years that we were here I would dream about Colorado every few nights. Then I would wake up slowly in the morning, and as I was coming out of my fog I would realize ... his isn't Colorado ... and the depression would set in. :D

My favorite times to visit Rocky Mountain National Park are just before Memorial Day, and just after Labor Day. You might get snowed on a bit at either time, but not many people in the park at those times of year. You are actually OK in June until the 13th or so, when most schools let out.

Reserve a camping spot in one of the campgrounds in the park, then you can park your truck at the camp site and sleep in it if you want. :D You can make reservations online.

My favorite camp site is above (east of) the horse stables on the west side of one of the RMNP campgrounds. I forget the name of the campground, but should be able to identify it by the horse stables.

There are 4 or 5 walk in sites in a little loop that are about 200+ feet from the road. They are seperated from the road by a small ridge. They are on top of a small hill that falls away to the west and south, leaving only a view of the peaks and valley with nothing between you and the mountains (the horse stables are hidden by the hill, and you can't see the road from the sites.)

Have fun!

trink408
12-Mar-2008, 05:48
Thanks for the tips guys.

Why is it they frown on sleeping in the bed of your truck? Makes for a perfect portable tent with not set up or take down...

I was hoping to go in April, but it sounds like the weather might be too questionable at that time. Maybe I will wait until mid may, I just want to beat the crowds of summer.
I have snowshoes and plan to bring them either way.

I'm super excited to get back out to the Rockies, I used to visist Colorado several times a year, but then I bought a house and things sure changed... Good friend of mine lived in Canon city, spent lots of time roaming the surrounding area, simply beautiful country out there... :)

mrladewig
12-Mar-2008, 18:52
Thanks for the tips guys.

Why is it they frown on sleeping in the bed of your truck? Makes for a perfect portable tent with not set up or take down...

Well really they don't want you to camp in a parking space instead of a campsite. I suppose it is OK if you have a camping reservation and park your truck in that spot, but it isn't well regarded to sleep in your vehicle at the trailhead. Expect to be woken up by the ranger and asked to move. Several of my friends have had this happen to them in various parks.

I don't see why April would be a problem other than potential weather issues with road travel. There will definitely be more snow on the ground, but its pretty stable by April, so not much avalanche risk.

Erik Larsen
12-Mar-2008, 20:44
If it were me, I would wait till trail ridge road opens. The light up there at sunrise is just unbelievable. You can only camp in the designated campgrounds which means no parking in any of the pullouts (been there, done that and was told to find a campground). The east side campgrounds tend to fill to capacity. The campground near Grand lake rarely fills up. It is a beautiful park, you'll enjoy it any time of the year I would think!
regards
Erik

trink408
13-Mar-2008, 05:28
thank guys, I will have to look into some of the local campgrounds, looks like a few are first come first serve and open all year round!!

So at what point does the park start to get really busy? I could wait until May, but I don't want to wait until schools close for summer because all the parks get too crazy after that. I'm thinking the Trail Ridge Road wouldn't open until June?

mrladewig
13-Mar-2008, 06:11
thank guys, I will have to look into some of the local campgrounds, looks like a few are first come first serve and open all year round!!

So at what point does the park start to get really busy? I could wait until May, but I don't want to wait until schools close for summer because all the parks get too crazy after that. I'm thinking the Trail Ridge Road wouldn't open until June?

Schools around here close around late May to early June. But I've been to the park at sunrise on a weekday in June and had the place totally to myself.

As I said, the Park Service really does try to open Trail Ridge on Memorial Day Weekend. You can still access the west side of the Park in winter by driving I-70 to US-40 over Berthoud Pass and then going north at Grand Lake.

Michael T. Murphy
13-Mar-2008, 12:17

There used to be some free National Forest campgrounds on the road to Longs Peak south of the park (outside of the national partk itself, but in the national forest.)

During the week in May you should be able to find one without too much trouble. On the weekends by May they might be full, all the locals will be up in the mountains. Best to reserve one in the national park for weekends, unless you are there by Thursday and stay put. :)

If you need a break from the truck/camping, drive down to Boulder or Denver and check into a hotel for a night or two. I always needed taht after a week of sleeping on the ground. In May you can also find a cheapish room in Estes Park.

Best to look and book the hotels online if you can, much better than walk-up prices. You might hit peak periods here and there, like graduation in Boulder.

Wish I still lived there. We moved here - Michigan - in 2000. I really have not been happy since leaving Colorado.

I never felt that way about the other places I have lived in the past - Wisconsin, Austin, New Mexico, Northern Michigan, etc. But my wife likes her job here and wants to get retirement. Plus I have a 9 year old - 10 more years. :cool: :D

Darren H
13-Mar-2008, 13:00
There are also some areas outside the park that are also very scenic without the crowd of RMNP. Cameron Pass and the Poudre River Canyon are very nice. They are north of the park but closer Fort Collins than RMNP and would be a great day trip if you are at Foto3.

Another nice trip would be up US 287 from Fort Collins into Wyoming.

If you do get upto the Estes Park area, check out the Images of RMNP Gallery. The photographer uses 4x5, has a good eye, and some nice larger prints.

Have fun!

trink408
13-Mar-2008, 14:27
You guys bring up a good point, I was so focused on visiting the park, I kind of forgot there are tons of beautiful places outside the park boundaries as well. I have been to Rocky Mountain park twice in the past, but only on my way through to other places. I do remember lots of amazing country surrounding the whole area.

I think I'm going to aim for end of April/early May for my trip, and set up camp anywhere I can in or around the park. It's not like I can't drive into the park to make some day hikes if I choose to.

The reality is I just need to see some mountains and breathe some fresh air. I've been away from the west for too long, 2 years, longest I've gone since I turned 19 and took my first trip out that way...

dagabel
13-Mar-2008, 14:35
For outside the Park - you might also consider the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area to the south. The Brainard Lake area is beautiful and easily accessible.

Duane

Stephen Willard
14-Mar-2008, 22:05
A good rule of thumb is the end of June when the snow clears to access the alpine on foot. In early June in the alpine it most likely will be full winter. In the lower parts of the park spring comes in May.

If you go in April it will be mostly winter in the park, but like everyone says the weather can vary greatly. The best thing you can do is keep an open schedule and call the park intermittently to get the latest information. When things appear to be right for you then come on out. We love to have you in Colorado.

Here are some phone number for the park:

Park Information (970) 586-1206
Bear Lake Road Information (970) 586-1206
After Hours Information (970) 586-1333
Back Country Camping Permits (970) 586-1242

trink408
15-Mar-2008, 08:45
A good rule of thumb is the end of June when the snow clears to access the alpine on foot. In early June in the alpine it most likely will be full winter. In the lower parts of the park spring comes in May.

If you go in April it will be mostly winter in the park, but like everyone says the weather can vary greatly. The best thing you can do is keep an open schedule and call the park intermittently to get the latest information. When things appear to be right for you then come on out. We love to have you in Colorado.

Here are some phone number for the park:

Park Information (970) 586-1206
Bear Lake Road Information (970) 586-1206
After Hours Information (970) 586-1333
Back Country Camping Permits (970) 586-1242

Thanks for the phone #'s, I plan take your advice and wait for the weather to be right. I want to get out there so bad that I'm getting a bit impatient, but I know that I don't want to be there in full winter. I'm pushing back my dates to late May time frame, I will keep up to date with the weather conditions via the park information.

Gracias