PDA

View Full Version : springtime S.W. weather conditions

Seymour
11-Mar-2008, 05:28
I am thinking about going to Monument Valley and area this spring with my 8x10, but understand that wind and sand at this time of the year can cause problems... does anyone have knowledge about this potential problem. I understand that weather conditions can always be changeable but want to avoid a blowout as I have limited time to spend on this trip

Darren H
11-Mar-2008, 09:35
Seymour-

Generally speaking, it is very windy throughout the southwest in the spring. Now while the wind can blow all day, it does not mean it blows all day every day.

In particular, mornings tend to have a better chance to be still.

Maybe a local can chime in about Monument Valley in particular, but I would be tempted to go for it. Never let a little wind discourage you from trying.

Good luck and have fun!

mrladewig
11-Mar-2008, 13:31
I would agree with Darren. I used to go to Moab in March every year and never thought it was particularly windy. I've gone in May a few times and didn't think the wind was a factor. But I've heard that it can be somewhat windy in April. Still, I'd take a chance and try to do it.

Donald Miller
11-Mar-2008, 13:55
I have been there in April and it was somewhat windy then. Also September and again last week...both of the latter two were not windy.