PDA

View Full Version : Super Angulon 90XL filter issue

Clement Apffel
11-Mar-2008, 00:49
Hi all,

I am looking for a way to filter my super-angulon 5,6/90XL.

there are a lot of filter based topic in this forum, but i didn't find any about the holders and about the way they might enter the frame while using wide angles on LF with an inappropriate item.

as i know exactly what filters i need for my use, i found appropriate to create a new thread about the holders.

as you all know, the front lens of the 90XL has a 95mm diameter.

I am using a 3 meter high tripod (9'3") for architecture. mainly.
and therefore, (unfortunatly) the cheap solution of holding a sheet filter in front of the lens is not possible.

That is why i'm am looking for a filter holder that fits with this lens.
i spoted the Cokin X-Pro series and Z-Pro series.

i red that the Z-Pro series fits to diameter till 96mm
and X-Pro to 118mm or so.

Will the Z-pro fits to the 90XL ?
I'm afraid it might be too tight for the wide angle and therefore enter the frame.
and i can't find anywhere the allowed focal lenses with those holders, i mean for 4x5".

For some reason (i'd say the quite poor organisation of the lee filter website ; but it could also be my misunderstanding of there website :rolleyes: ) i didn't manage to find the lee filter holder that would match my needs.

but i guess it will be something approaching as it's a plastic accessory afterall.

Any advice ?
Any item / brand recommandation ?

thanks for any answers.
regards,

Steve Barber
11-Mar-2008, 04:21
I use a Lee "push on" filter holder and a "donut spacer" with the Schneider center filter for that lens.

Jon at Robert White is very familiar with the Lee system and probably others as well. You can find more specific information for the Lee system on their web site. The link below is for what they show for the various "push on" and "donut spacers" available.

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1379&PT_ID=501&P=Filter-Holders

Clement Apffel
13-Mar-2008, 04:40
After some private messaging with other members wanting to share their experience about my question, i came to a last choice question.

if anyone has any interrest about why i forgot about cokin holders :
it seems that the Cokin Z-pro vignettes the 90XL anyway, even with thin 4x4" filters.
and another problem about the X-pro and the Z-pro, and i'll quote this :

the 95mm Cokin X-Pro adapter is set at a pitch of 1.00 whereas all other universal European filters are set at a pitch of 0.75. This means, that the Cokin X-Pro adapter can bind or stick to the front thread of your expensive lens.

however, you can protect the front lens while using the Z-pro or X-pro by mounting a first 95mm filter to avoid contacts with the front lens.
wich is quite inappropriate for my personnal use because i never use two filters.

to me, the X-pro won't have any other uses than the 90XL anyway.

So I have to get a special system for my 90XL.

There are two solution remaining :

A single B+W 95mm metal ringed glass filter for what i need.
that filter will probably increase the fall-off of that lens more than a sheet filter.

or

get the lee filter "push on filter holder" (as i already own some of the filters i need in 4x4")

my questions are :

Any problem about using a 95mm ring filter on that lens ?

Will the "lee push on holder" be appropriate to that lens without the donut spacer steve barber mentionned ?
as i don't have the $$$ yet for the schneider center filter.

there you go.
thanks for any answers.
regards,

Renato Tonelli
13-Mar-2008, 05:13
I have the same problem. I tried to use a 95mm UV first and then the Cokin holder but the vignetting is too obvious. The solution seems to be 4x4 filters and for grad filters 4x6(?) which I have for my motion picture work. The problem is the holder. Ideally, the holder should protrude from the front lens barely enough to secure the filter. A custom-made filter holder would be an option, an expensive option. The easy and just as expensive option is to purchase the various "extra wide" B+W filters.

Andrew_4548
13-Mar-2008, 05:21
I have the Lee push-on filter for the lens - no real problems with it if you are careful. You don't need the donut on the 90XL.

It pushes on up to an internal stop and there's also a side locking screw which makes the ring inner go eccentric and tightens it onto the OD of the lens. I use a square polariser filter which means I've to slacken the screw slightly to rotate the full assembly. OK if you remember to keep some slight rearward pressure on it all to stop it falling off forwards accidentally. If you have a circular shaped polariser that rotates in it's own holder then this isn't an issue.

I use Hitech 100mm filters and haven't noticed any vignetting. I tend to put the polariser with its external casing nearest to the lens and then other filters in front. I've got the Pro kit so could use two holders but haven't had much need to yet so I don't know if this is a problem.

Andrew

Joshua Dunn
13-Mar-2008, 23:47
On my 72mm XL I had similar problems. I use a center filter (the 90mm XL and the 72mmXL have different filters but they are the same size) and when I want to add a second filter I use a 4” gel filter in a universal filter holder (attaches with tension from a rubber band) on the rear element. I also do architectural work and with movements this setup can get awkward but it does work. The rear element of the 90mm XL is about half an inch larger than the 72mm XL but it I imagine it would still work.

The filter holder is the Lee Gel Snap Holder. I wish it was a little thinner but it has been a good overall solution for a myriad of shooting situations.

audioexcels
14-Mar-2008, 05:13
On my 72mm XL I had similar problems. I use a center filter (the 90mm XL and the 72mmXL have different filters but they are the same size) and when I want to add a second filter I use a 4” gel filter in a universal filter holder (attaches with tension from a rubber band) on the rear element. I also do architectural work and with movements this setup can get awkward but it does work. The rear element of the 90mm XL is about half an inch larger than the 72mm XL but it I imagine it would still work.

The filter holder is the Lee Gel Snap Holder. I wish it was a little thinner but it has been a good overall solution for a myriad of shooting situations.

What's the largest format size you can shoot with color and movements on the 5X7 format (with the 90XL) w/out using the CF?

Clement Apffel
16-Mar-2008, 05:37

That gel snap holder would have been a good and cheap solution.
unfortunatly, it fits for lenses up to 82mm and the rear size of the 90XL is... 86mm.

what do you think ?
as i don't know this holder, i can't figure if yes or no it would be usable with the 90xl.

but a universal holder fitting on the rear lens won't be a bad option.