PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Polaroid film backs

scott jones
1-Mar-2001, 23:09
I use a Toyo VX125 4x5 camera and am considering getting a 4x5 Polaroid film bac k for it to check composition, exposure etc. before exposing my regular film. Th ere seem to be several backs available including the Polaroid 545 pro with fancy timer(approx. $189.95) and the 545i which is the less featured holder (approx. $149.95). There are also some other models which don't seem to have the same ful l size of 4x5 image area (or perhaps I don't understand them).

Would anyone give me some advice on what back to use for this novice in the use of 4x5 Polaroid?

Nathaniel Paust
2-Mar-2001, 01:20
I moved up to LF in December and got the 545i holder. Every time I think of it, I kick myself for not buyting the pro back. The timer with its linked thermometer would be a very nice thing to have.

Jason_1622
2-Mar-2001, 03:17
Any Polaroid back will give you what you want. I bought a used polaroid back for $25 that isn't as nice as the 545's that the photogs I assist have and use, but it still makes polaroids. Get the 545i, A lot of photogs have it and it works fine. These people have several thousands of $$$ riding on a days worth of shooting and they all of the 545's(timer or basic) and they get the job done. If you don't get the timer, wear a watch.

Trevor Crone
2-Mar-2001, 07:13
Scott, the 545i is reliable holder at a resonable cost. You can always use the sweep hand on your wrist watch or purchase a cheap countdown timer rather then go to the added expense of the pro holder. Providing you keep the holder clean it should give years of consistent results. Regards,

Scott Walton
2-Mar-2001, 11:04
IMHO, the older 545 backs are better made and will last a lifetime... very cheap . Timers are nice but you can spend the money on extra film!... Just my thoughts. Cheers

Charlie Stracl
2-Mar-2001, 13:17
Check the price of film. The individual packets cost the most per exposure, the packs, the least.

A few boxes of film can make up the difference in cost of the back.

kthompson
2-Mar-2001, 19:42
Scott, we have a 545i holder here at work, and I have an older 545 at home. The older 545 does have a more rugged construction, but it's not as easy to service as the newer 545i holder. By this I mean, if you have to take the holder apart if it gets jammed (which sometimes happens) The lack of a timer doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Alot of times I just count out the time. The pack film holders come in 2 sizes. There's a larger 550 size (I've never used this) and the smaller 405 pack. I've also got one of these, they're pretty economical, but can be a pain to fit into some older cameras. You also can't check focus on Type 665 film without clearing the film, unlike Type 55, so if you're using this stuff to check focus on a shoot, you might want to consider this. The 405 image area is also smaller, so it won't accurately reflect what your entire frame (maybe not a big deal though), but neither does the 545 back either. You have to be careful to check the groundglass, and not trust the polaroid blindly...(I have learned this the hard way...)One last plus for the 545 holders is that they have the biggest selection of film available to them. Hope this helps.

David Gonzalez
3-Mar-2001, 14:28
This is more of an additional question than any kind of answer.

I am also looking to get into medium format, particularly at the Toyo 45CX or C. The Toyo website states the 45C will take the 550 pack film back but doesn't mention the 405. I e-mailed Toya to ask and an e-mail reply from Toyo told me the 45C can't take the 550(?).

Per the 45CX, it has a Graflok type back.

So, please, if anybody could, tell me whether or not the 405 pack film holder can be used in the 45C, 45CX, or any Graflok back camera.

Thank you

David Gonzalez
3-Mar-2001, 14:30
Sorry, meant to say getting into LARGE format. Guess I stayed out too late last night :)

DAG

kthompson
3-Mar-2001, 19:26
David, I don't have a definititive answer for this, but my gut feeling is that if the 45C will take the 550, then it will take the smaller 405 back. These pack film backs are sorta thick, like an inch and a half or so. So, the back has to be able to open far enough to accomadate them. They don't work too well with some cameras. The 45C looks very similar to the Omega 45D we have where I work, and we used to use the 405 back with that, so...but, you really can't use the 405 back on some older cameras, like Speed Graphics with spring backs, and even later ones with Graflok backs. They just won't open far enough. My advice might be to just go for a 545i back, even if you're trying to save money, because the 405 only has like 3x4 (about) image size, and you'll have to use a mask on your ground glass for critical composition (if you're picky) or just live with cropping out the edges of your shot for proofing. Like I said, not a definitve answer, you might want to check with Toyo again. Hope this helps.

kthompson
9-Mar-2001, 14:43
I'd just like to make a correction to part of what I said above, the 405 back will fit into a Speed Graphic with a Graflok back. At least my late 50's era Pacemaker...it's a tight fit though. It will not fit into a spring back though (Anniverasry Speed Graphic). The 405 is an inch thick.

Navy Moose
18-Feb-2008, 13:15
When I bought my Toyo 45C it came with a 405 holder. I've tried figuring a way to get the holder in this camera and the opening does not seem wide enough. I saw something on YouTube with a photographer with this model camera who put longer screws into the camera to make the opening wider. I'm hesitant to do this without better information. The holder is in good shape and made by Polaroid.

Dave Parker
18-Feb-2008, 13:27
Boy, this thread is from the past, heck the statute of limitations is almost up on this one, March of 01.

As far as a 405 on your toyo, you may have an international back on that camera, that allows you to remove the focus panel and secure the 405 via the sliders. So I would double check this before putting in longer screws, if you don't you can still pick one up via Toyo.

They still list a lot of options and accessories on their website.

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Accessories/45C&Gac.html

Dave

Navy Moose
18-Feb-2008, 14:05
Yes it is :) I found the thread with a google search. I was under the impression the 45C used a similar system the old Graflock's used.

It looks like I'll have to bring it to my local pro shop to have them determine if the back is the version you mention.

Thank you for the information :-)

Boy, this thread is from the past, heck the statute of limitations is almost up on this one, March of 01.

As far as a 405 on your toyo, you may have an international back on that camera, that allows you to remove the focus panel and secure the 405 via the sliders. So I would double check this before putting in longer screws, if you don't you can still pick one up via Toyo.

They still list a lot of options and accessories on their website.

http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Accessories/45C&Gac.html

Dave

jnantz
19-Feb-2008, 09:37
#500 backs are cheep and work better than
the 545i backs ( i have both )
there is very little to go wrong while using it
( unlike the clip to hold the film in the 545i ).
it is thin, and metal and built like a tank
and the rollers spread the pod better ...
the main "issue" is you have to be aware
of how far you pull the paper off the film,
there is no "stop" so you can pull the paper off
if you pull too far.

i got 2 #500 backs, one for parts that i never needed ...
for 20$ shipped i think ... (maybe a few dollars more) ...
it was purchased when i was in a bind, and
the clippy thing in the 545 was being fixed.
i pretty much only use the 500 now ...
unless i am shooting with a sears delmar (box) or a graflex slr,
the 545 slides in the delmar perfectly, and it
tapes well on the back of the slr and works like a charm.

blevblev
19-Feb-2008, 18:21
Hasn't the problem become...what are you going to put in your Polaroid back?

Ralph Barker
20-Feb-2008, 08:47
Moose - the Toyo cameras do, indeed, use a Graflok back (a trademarked term). Toyo uses the term presumably because they also continued the manufacture of the Graphic press cameras for a while, and probably obtained a license as part of that deal.

The term "International" back is used by manufacturers who use the same basic design, but apparently didn't license the use of "Graflok". Some folks however, use "international" to refer to the conventional spring back, so some caution is required.

Navy Moose
20-Feb-2008, 15:45
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your information. I just talked to B&H and they said the holder is not designed for 4X5 view cameras and I need to use Polaroid 545i holders. Given the price of this film per sheet, it isn't cost effective for me to shoot Polaroid test shots.

Navy Moose

Dave Parker
20-Feb-2008, 15:49
B&H said that the 405 was not designed for 4x5? I beg to differ as I have used a 405 back on all of my 4x5 view cameras for over 10 years now and have had great success, I use Fuji FP100 film for proofing and never had a problem at all, so again, I would say B&H is wrong in their assessment...

Navy Moose
20-Feb-2008, 18:13
I was a bit surprised as well. I'm going to keep asking around on the best way to use this back on my Toyo.

B&H said that the 405 was not designed for 4x5? I beg to differ as I have used a 405 back on all of my 4x5 view cameras for over 10 years now and have had great success, I use Fuji FP100 film for proofing and never had a problem at all, so again, I would say B&H is wrong in their assessment...

Navy Moose
26-Feb-2008, 14:38
Last night I attended a large format camera workshop through my local photography meetup group. I was shown how to put the 405 holder into the camera. It fit just fine.

B&H was incorrect when they told me the holder was unusable with the Toyo 45C

Filo
28-Feb-2008, 14:36
Now that Polaroid isn't going to supply instant film, does anyone know if the Fujifilm options will fit the Polaroid backs?

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductsInstantDataSpec.jsp (http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/proPhotoProductsInstantDataSpec.jsp)

Dave Parker
28-Feb-2008, 15:05
Last night I attended a large format camera workshop through my local photography meetup group. I was shown how to put the 405 holder into the camera. It fit just fine.

B&H was incorrect when they told me the holder was unusable with the Toyo 45C

Surprise, surprise, surprise! :)

I have been using the 405 for years with the Toyo's with no problem at all..

Dave

Navy Moose
28-Feb-2008, 18:34
I'm looking forward to Spring, so I can bring my baby outside and play :-)

Gordon Moat
28-Feb-2008, 19:05
In North America, FP100C is also sold as FP100C45. The version with the 45 in the name will fit in the Polaroid 550 pack film holder. The regular FP100C is the smaller pack film, and will work in the Polaroid 405 holder. FP100B works in the Polaroid 405 holder. FP3000B works in the Polaroid 405 holder.

No Fuji Instant films work in the Polaroid 545 holder. It is unlikely that Fuji will make individual sheet instant films. If you want colour proofing closer to 4x5 film sizes, then use FP100C45 in the Polaroid 550 holder.

Films that work in the Polaroid 405 holder will not work in the Polaroid 550 holder, because the physical pack sizes are different. Fuji still make brand new holders: their PA-145 is similar to a Polaroid 405 holder, and their PA-45 is similar to a Polaroid 550 holder.

Your old Polaroid 545 holder could still be used with Kodak Readyload or Fuji Quickload films. So even when supply of Polaroid instant sheet films is exhausted, these holders are still useful.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Filo
29-Feb-2008, 15:37
In North America, FP100C is also sold as FP100C45. The version with the 45 in the name will fit in the Polaroid 550 pack film holder. The regular FP100C is the smaller pack film, and will work in the Polaroid 405 holder. FP100B works in the Polaroid 405 holder. FP3000B works in the Polaroid 405 holder.

No Fuji Instant films work in the Polaroid 545 holder. It is unlikely that Fuji will make individual sheet instant films. If you want colour proofing closer to 4x5 film sizes, then use FP100C45 in the Polaroid 550 holder.

Films that work in the Polaroid 405 holder will not work in the Polaroid 550 holder, because the physical pack sizes are different. Fuji still make brand new holders: their PA-145 is similar to a Polaroid 405 holder, and their PA-45 is similar to a Polaroid 550 holder.

Your old Polaroid 545 holder could still be used with Kodak Readyload or Fuji Quickload films. So even when supply of Polaroid instant sheet films is exhausted, these holders are still useful.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Thanks!