PDA

View Full Version : dump 240/9 for 240/5.6? 8x10

Daniel_Buck
9-Mar-2008, 00:45
I have a 240/9 g-claron that I really enjoy on my 4x5. I've just picked up an 8x10, and on the 8x10 the f9 lens seems quite dim, difficult to focus in dim situations (tonight I was shooting indoors, with indoor night-time office-lounge type lighting). I just guessed at the focus. I roughly could tell when the area of interest went soft focus both ways (front and back) but couldn't really see the 'sharp' area that I usually do when focusing. It's easy to focus when it's bright out.

Would swapping out my f9 lens for an f5.6 lens show much noticeable brightness difference? From a price stand point, it seems that it won't loose much (if any), as I see several used 5.6 240s that are in the same price range that I paid for the g-claron (hardly used). Either selling, or asking for an swap (+ or - cash) with someone looking for a lighter lens. Is this common to find? (someone willing to swap for a different weight lens)

The extra weight, well, I wouldn't mind it on the 8x10, but on the 4x5 I don't know, I don't really have any heavy lenses on the 4x5. Though I've never felt it feel flimsy.

On a side note along with being brighter, for wide open full-length portraits, would the DOF be noticeably more pronounced (softer background) on 5.6 versus 9? or would it not really make much noticeably difference? This isn't a big concern since I don't usually take portraits, but since I'm thinking about swapping, DOF is one other question I'd like to ask.

Thanks for any advice/info :)

IanG
9-Mar-2008, 02:22
A 240mm Symmar or Sironar will be a better all round performer, Schneider don't recommend G-Clarons for normal camera use but they do acknowledge they can be used stopped down.

I never had problems focussing my 240mm Symmar the extra stop will only help slightly, but a better screen could make a far more significant difference, my 10x8 came with a plain screen and a Beattie screen and I swapped them, now I can focus an f16 151mm Ross (Protar) indoors with normal room lighting.

Ian

Chuck Pere
9-Mar-2008, 06:03
Stopped down a 240 G-Claron will have more coverage than a typical 240 f5.6 lens. That's probably the main reason people use them for 8x10. Another nice lens for 8x10 is the Fuji 250 f6.7. A good mix of coverage (listed at 398mm), speed and size (67mm filter).

Robert A. Zeichner
9-Mar-2008, 06:39
.....I just guessed at the focus. I roughly could tell when the area of interest went soft focus both ways (front and back) but couldn't really see the 'sharp' area that I usually do when focusing. It's easy to focus when it's bright out....

Are you not using a loupe to focus? Relying strictly on focus with the naked eye can often lead to focus errors.

Daniel_Buck
9-Mar-2008, 10:03
Thanks for all the replies so far :-)

Yes, I was using a 10x loupe. It was fairly dim inside, like usual 'office lounge' type lighting. My exposure was 1.5 seconds at f9, ISO 320 (to keep only subtle movement from my subject) I just developed the negative, I nailed the focus, but when I was shooting I wasn't 100% sure I had. I may look into a different screen. But I suppose after looking at the negative, If I just go with my best guess, I'll most likely nail it.

I almost wonder, what about carrying a bright flashlight with me, setup the flashlight right next to my main focus point so that I can see it much brighter? I bet that would work in dim situations? Or maybe a laser pointer, I could focus on the laser dot? I'm about to order a green laser for use in screening rooms, I bet it would double as a nice focusing aid!

jetcode
9-Mar-2008, 10:05
I almost wonder, what about carrying a bright flashlight with me, setup the flashlight right next to my main focus point so that I can see it much brighter? I bet that would work in dim situations? Or maybe a laser pointer, I could focus on the laser dot? I'm about to order a green laser for use in screening rooms, I bet it would double as a nice focusing aid!

if you put a white cloth over it you could likewise add light to your composition where ever you want

David Karp
9-Mar-2008, 10:44
I almost wonder, what about carrying a bright flashlight with me, setup the flashlight right next to my main focus point so that I can see it much brighter? I bet that would work in dim situations?

This is an old trick. You can find clip on lights at Office Depot or Staples that you can clamp to something. Works great. Just remember to take the light out of your photo when you are done! :)

neil poulsen
10-Mar-2008, 08:37
You might consider getting the Fuji f6.7 250mm. It allows a little more light, and at 389mm, it has an image circle that's at least as large as that of the G-Claron.