PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 120/8 SW vs.Fujinon 120/8 SW

krk_now
7-Mar-2008, 15:10
Hi,

I just bought a 4x5" camera, and I wanted a slightly wideangle-lens so I need some help to chose wisely.
Which one of these is the best, gives the sharpest image.
The nikkor has a larger image-circle; 312mm vs 280mm @f22.
The nikkor is lighter; 585g vs. 745g.
The nikkor takes smaller filters; 77mm vs. 82mm.
The nikkor is cheaper; 775$ vs. 1225$.

It seams to me as a newbie that the nikkor is to be prefered all the way, if the fujinon isn't distinctly sharper. Is it?

Thanks, and have a happy day.

jetcode
7-Mar-2008, 15:12
sounds like you have it dialed - enjoy your new wide angle

krk_now
7-Mar-2008, 16:55
Hi again,

Anyone know which is sharper or got the most lines/mm?

Thanks for any anwsear from someone who has tested them both.

Justin Black
7-Mar-2008, 17:53
Since you are shooting 4x5, you ought to seriously consider a used 120mm f/5.6 Schneider Super-Symmar HM. It is a stunning performer that is smaller (67mm filters) and lighter than the 120mm f/8 models, which are really overkill for 4x5 unless you need to do really massive moves. The 120mm S-S HM is one of the best large format lenses ever made - no kidding.

John Schneider
7-Mar-2008, 18:34
if you search on old posts re: lens "sharpness" or resolution, you'll find that the consensus is that typically there is a greater variation within samples of a particular model than between representative samples of each of the different manufacturer's models. I.e., if "sharpness" is all you want, then most any modern lens will fit the bill. If you still persist in looking for the sharpest lens, then you'll have to gather a number of lenses to test them all yourself and then cherry-pick the best one to keep.

Kirk Gittings
7-Mar-2008, 20:21
The 120 Nikkor SW is my favorite lens that I have ever owned.

Capocheny
7-Mar-2008, 20:38
Frankly, most modern lenses are pretty decent and you won't go wrong with any of them.

However, IMHO, Nikon has produced some pretty fine glass. It's just too bad they've stopped manufacturing them.

One other 120 lens you might not have considered is a Super Angulon.

Cheers

Brad Rippe
9-Mar-2008, 19:59
I sold my Nikkor 120 two years ago and replaced it with a Schneider Apo Symmar-L which is a small and very sharp lens. I hike a lot with my camera, and the Nikkor 120 was too big, I really liked that lens though. You might decide if lightweight is important to you. For architecture, you can't go wrong with the Nikkor, the Schneider has somewhat limited movements, but it's perfect for what I need.
If money isn't an issue, check out the Schneider 110, lots of people on this forum love this lens.
-Brad

Kirk Gittings
9-Mar-2008, 20:02
I sold my Nikkor 120 two years ago and replaced it with a Schneider Apo Symmar-L which is a small and very sharp lens. I hike a lot with my camera, and the Nikkor 120 was too big, I really liked that lens though. You might decide if lightweight is important to you. For architecture, you can't go wrong with the Nikkor, the Schneider has somewhat limited movements, but it's perfect for what I need.
If money isn't an issue, check out the Schneider 110, lots of people on this forum love this lens.
-Brad

Well put Brad, as an architectural photographer my affection for the Nikkor tells all.

Nick_3536
9-Mar-2008, 22:28
The big advantage of the Nikon is it covers 8x10. The other one is it's common enough you'll find it used.

But it's no longer made and I don't know if anybody has it new any more. So if that matters to you it's something to consider.

I agree for 4x5 it might be a bit much but if you ever move up in format it's nice to have.

mrladewig
10-Mar-2008, 11:16
You don't directly list architecture as a concern and don't suggest that you're planning to move to a larger format, so I have some other recommendations.

Fuji 125 CM-W f5.6 or the older W/NW or Schneider 120 Symmar HM or even the 120mm APO Symmar

These lenses are not going to offer a ton of movements, but they'll cover 4X5 completely. They're much smaller than the SW lenses and as a result, lighter. Used ones of these are also going to be much cheaper. I gave approximately $250 for my Fuji 125 5.6 NW which uses a 46mm filter. The Symmar HM seems to run closer to $600, but its got the largest image circle of this type of lens. You could read a little more about these on Kerry Thalman's site. All of these lenses are much lighter than the big wide angles you're considering.

Future Classics about the 120 HM
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm
Bottom of lieghtweight lenses about the Fuji CM-W
http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/wide.htm

Kirk Gittings
10-Mar-2008, 12:56
The big advantage of the Nikon is it covers 8x10. The other one is it's common enough you'll find it used.

But it's no longer made and I don't know if anybody has it new any more. So if that matters to you it's something to consider.

I agree for 4x5 it might be a bit much but if you ever move up in format it's nice to have.

B&H has a rather large stock of new remaindered Nikkor lenses.

Nick_3536
10-Mar-2008, 22:06
And I've bought a couple but I've no idea how many more they have left. The two I really wanted were sold out long ago [150mm SW and the 450M] Last I'd heard more types were sold out.