PDA

View Full Version : Billing Rates for Architecture Photography

jetcode
7-Mar-2008, 10:55
I am curious what todays billing rates are for commercial and residential architecture work. I am considering targeting contractors, architects, and residential or non-commercial not real estate.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Kirk Gittings
7-Mar-2008, 12:12
There is not like one rate, it depends on your market (large city etc), reputation, experience, usage or rights granted, per image vs. day rate, etc. It varies literally from a couple of hundred a day for rookies with an 8MP DSLR (or a rookie with a 4x5 for that matter) to a few thousand a day for someone experienced.

jetcode
7-Mar-2008, 14:45
Thanks Kirk,

I live in a really rich area and wanted to take advantage of my 4x10 for custom architectural assignments. I have a pair of veterens to back me on my assignments.

Joe

Ted Harris
7-Mar-2008, 15:04
Joe, check with the veterans you have to back you. Note Kirk gave you a range and that is about all I could do too. I would never post my rates in an internet Forum. Too much is subject to negotiation and circumstance.

jetcode
7-Mar-2008, 15:10
Joe, check with the veterans you have to back you. Note Kirk gave you a range and that is about all I could do too. I would never post my rates in an internet Forum. Too much is subject to negotiation and circumstance.

I understand. I think Kirk did well in giving me a ballpark. That's all I was looking for. The folks I've been working with gave me a common dayrate for this area.

SAShruby
7-Mar-2008, 19:47
I charge $15,000 for a day of work. So far, no one has been interested.:D

Greg Lockrey
7-Mar-2008, 21:04
I make about $1,400.00 per day crunching out prints at $.06 sq/in so to get me out of the studio will cost at least that. ;) There are times when that happens. :) :) But then this is Toledo, OH.

Merg Ross
7-Mar-2008, 21:58
Joe, in your neck of the woods in 1975, Morley Baer was charging $600 a day. He was at the top of the heap price wise, and also delivered the best product, in my opinion. So, figure in what that might mean in today's dollars, and you have an answer. The bulk of his work was with an 8x10 camera, so expenses were different from what you might have today.

Kirk and Ted gave you the real answer, mine is not really relevant, just historical. But I wish you the very best in your endeavor. I did architectural work for years and loved being around all of the creative individuals involved.

jetcode
8-Mar-2008, 10:34
$600 a day was big time back in 1975. My parents bought their house in 1974 custome made in a fairly exclusive area for $40k. Hard to believe their house was worth close to $750k at the height of the run up. Meanwhile the day rate doubled to $1500 a day.