PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder options (beginner question)

pierods
7-Mar-2008, 10:13
Hi,

I am trying to put together a 4x5 field camera system specifically for portraits (whole body and head shot).

My main concern would be speed. Subjects tend to lose genuineness with long posing times.

So I am thinking of having a rangefinder. That would avoid having to focus and then mess with a film back. Ideally I would be handholding the camera, so if I focused and then inserted a film back, I would lose sharpness at the very least, the composition and so forth.

The only cameras accepting a rangefinder I could find are Linhof Technikas (6 grand!) and Crown Graphics.

I would go with a Crown Graphic, but what if I use another lens than the one that comes with the camera? I would like the flexibility to use different brands and focal lengths.

As I understand, a rangefinder must be somehow coupled (calibrated?) with a lens. Would I be able to couple a Crown Graphic's rangefinder with a, say, Rodenstock lens?

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough and there are more cameras which accept rangefinders, or there is another way of focusing without looking at the fresnel, so that the back is already in place when I shoot right after focusing.

Thanks for any help.

piero

David A. Goldfarb
7-Mar-2008, 10:24
Some Graflex rangefinders use cams (top mounted rangefinders) like a Technika, though they aren't as precise, and some (like the Kalart) can be calibrated to the lens within a certain range, so you could easily recalibrate the rangefinder to your new lens.

Used Technikas aren't so expensive as new ones, and Linhof can cam lenses for you for the Tech IV and later. There are also private shops that will cam lenses for the Tech III.

Emmanuel BIGLER
7-Mar-2008, 10:30
Many view camera lenses can be mounted on an helical where you can read the proper distance setting when the lens as been properly aligned for infinity.
You could use a separate hand-held rangefinder, in the good old days, many manufacturers had separate rangefinders on catalog, I have one from a German manufacturer but I do not know if the procedure based on a separate rangefinder and a lens on an helical would be precise enough for tight portraits.

ic-racer
7-Mar-2008, 11:27
Many view camera lenses can be mounted on an helical where you can read the proper distance setting when the lens as been properly aligned for infinity.
You could use a separate hand-held rangefinder, in the good old days, many manufacturers had separate rangefinders on catalog, I have one from a German manufacturer but I do not know if the procedure based on a separate rangefinder and a lens on an helical would be precise enough for tight portraits.

The 4x5 Horseman FA could also be used like this. It has an adjustable focusing scale on bed, for various focal lengths.

If you drop down to 6x9 then things open up a lot, in terms of different choices of cameras with rangefinders.

John Schneider
7-Mar-2008, 11:30
Why not a Gowlandflex tlr?

Darryl Baird
7-Mar-2008, 12:29
Wista RF is a rangefinder 4x5 camera, albeit more rare than a Technika and not much less cost... w/135, 150, and 180mm lens cams

Toyon
7-Mar-2008, 13:04
Why not an SLR? Various SLR Graflex models were made in 4x5 and 5x7 format. They can handle different lenses and gives you a through-the-lens view. There is a site devoted to Graflexes, both rangefinder and SLR types, at www.graflex.org, though it is not very comprehensive on the latter.

Scott Kathe
7-Mar-2008, 13:23
Crown Graphics can be inexpensive, get one for each focal length you want to shoot and set up the rangefinder on each camera appropriately. There are also Bush Pressman 4x5s that are very similar to the Crown Graphics.

Scott

Aender Brepsom
7-Mar-2008, 13:30
Not a rangefinder, but how about the inexpensive Gaoersi 45 hand held camera?

ic-racer
7-Mar-2008, 13:31
Wista RF is a rangefinder 4x5 camera, albeit more rare than a Technika and not much less cost... w/135, 150, and 180mm lens cams

I forgot about that one. I remember looking into this a while back. I think there are 4 options:

COUPLED RANGEFINDER 4x5:
Speed or Crown Graphic and clones
Linhof, new and old
Wista
Polaroid conversions

Others?

Bob Salomon
7-Mar-2008, 14:18
I forgot about that one. I remember looking into this a while back. I think there are 4 options:

COUPLED RANGEFINDER 4x5:
Speed or Crown Graphic and clones
Linhof, new and old
Wista
Polaroid conversions

Others?

No, the Polaroid option does not fit his requirements.

" I would like the flexibility to use different brands and focal lengths."

Ash
7-Mar-2008, 14:27
Get yourself a Razzle 4x5. Converted Polaroid 110B or 900, 150mm lens of your choice.
Parallax corrected full frame rangefinder. Nice and fast.

Works for me :)

You don't get the various lenses or anything like that, but if you want that much versatility, you'll lose the rangefinder unless you go for a more expensive (technika?) cam-based rangefinder camera.

Neal Shields
7-Mar-2008, 14:46
If you can afford it the best way to take 4x5 portraits is the Graflex Super D.

That is why although they haven't been built for years people are rebuilding them to like new condition and not having a problem selling them.

http://www.lensandrepro.com/USED/graflex.htm

Darryl Baird
7-Mar-2008, 22:08
This is a good lightweight option, but the focal length will be limited to the fixed lens only. This is costlier than a used graphic style, but I like the ability to customize the "ride" and it's ultra-quick to shoot with. Ash had a running blog-style update here when Dean was working on his Razzle-dog Polaroid.

This is cheaper than either the Linhof or Wista route.

Get yourself a Razzle 4x5. Converted Polaroid 110B or 900, 150mm lens of your choice.
Parallax corrected full frame rangefinder. Nice and fast.

Works for me :)

You don't get the various lenses or anything like that, but if you want that much versatility, you'll lose the rangefinder unless you go for a more expensive (technika?) cam-based rangefinder camera.

Kirk Fry
7-Mar-2008, 22:25
super (speed) graphic and clones. These are not crown/speed clones.

Ash
8-Mar-2008, 01:06
Another option is this guy -

http://photo.net/photos/Camera%20Conjurer

He has a Polaroid converted that can use multiple lenses.

al olson
8-Mar-2008, 07:58
The Super Graphic is a good choice. I have been able to purchase lenses on ebay that had the cams with them for the one I have now. I also had one in the late fifties for doing press work.

For hand-held work, any of the Graphics are easy to use. I recommend finding a Graphic flash battery case that can be attached to the right side and used as a fixed grip.

Using a separate rangefinder will not work unless the camera has a focusing scale calibrated for that lens.

ic-racer
8-Mar-2008, 09:01
super (speed) graphic and clones. These are not crown/speed clones.

Speed/Crown Clones = Bush Pressman etc.

Bill_1856
8-Mar-2008, 09:30
Not a problem! The standard Kalart rangefinder can be easily adjusted for whatever lens you want to put on your camera (Crown or Speed Graphic, or Busch Pressman). But it will only work for that one lens. A good one for your purpose would be a clean used Kodak f:7.7/203mm Ektar.

The "Top Rangefinder" Graphics have interchangable cams for each lens, but they are no longer made, difficult to change, and must be matched for each lens focal length. Same is true for the Super Graphic, except that the cams are easy to change.

The Technika, Super Graphic, and Busch Pressman all have revolving backs, so it's a lot easier to take head shots than with a Speed or Crown Graphic.

pierods
8-Mar-2008, 12:01
Not a problem! The standard Kalart rangefinder can be easily adjusted for whatever lens you want to put on your camera (Crown or Speed Graphic, or Busch Pressman). But it will only work for that one lens. A good one for your purpose would be a clean used Kodak f:7.7/203mm Ektar.

The "Top Rangefinder" Graphics have interchangable cams for each lens, but they are no longer made, difficult to change, and must be matched for each lens focal length. Same is true for the Super Graphic, except that the cams are easy to change.

The Technika, Super Graphic, and Busch Pressman all have revolving backs, so it's a lot easier to take head shots than with a Speed or Crown Graphic.

- What is a revolving back?

Scott Kathe
8-Mar-2008, 12:23
- What is a revolving back?

On the Crown and Super Graphics you are stuck with 'landscape' orientation if the camera is held right side up (not right as in right/left). To get 'portrait' mode you need to turn the camera 90 degrees. Since you are shooting handheld that shouldn't be a big deal. The Crown Graphics have a tripod hole on the bottom and on the side under the camera strap for 'portrait' mode. The Super Speed Graphic and a lot of other 4x5s allow you to mount the camera on the tripod and rotate the back of the camera to switch between portrait and landscape modes.

Scott

David A. Goldfarb
8-Mar-2008, 12:47
A revolving back lets you turn the back from horizontal to vertical, so the camera always stays in the same orientation. (And technically, a "revolving" back can do this without removing it from the camera, while a "reversible" back can be removed and replaced in either orientation. Revolving backs are usually heavier than reversible backs, and neither is particularly better than the other, in my opinion, though a revolving back does have the advantage of being adjustable to intermediate positions between horizontal and vertical).

With a fixed back camera like a Speed or a Crown, you have to turn the camera on its side to shoot vertical.

jimi-the-jive
17-Mar-2008, 12:40
does anyone know a good link for how to calibrate a kalart, the link i found was impossible to read,

David A. Goldfarb
17-Mar-2008, 12:56
I found it when I needed it I think either on graflex.org or the "South Bristol Views" website (Google "South Bristol Views" to turn it up).

Ole Tjugen
17-Mar-2008, 13:24
does anyone know a good link for how to calibrate a kalart, the link i found was impossible to read,

Seth Broder (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kalart/kalart.html) has the answer. It works - I've recalibrated mine repeatedly, it's currently calibrated to a 150mm Zeiss Doppel-Amatar. Before that it was a 135mm Rodenstock Eurynar, a 120mm Heliar, a 210mm G-Claron, and...

Paul H
20-Mar-2008, 22:20
Another option is the British MPP Microtechnica range. These are similar to the Linhofs, except quite a bit cheaper. It has a side mounted, cammed rangefinder and revolving back. Best thing is to look for a MK VII or MKVIII

I've used mine handheld a few times.

Frank Petronio
21-Mar-2008, 04:50
I've never been able to (properly) adjust a Kalhart RF based on those directions either.

Fred Lustig can do it though -- he is the best Graflex repairman.

Gordon Flodders
27-Mar-2008, 15:09
Perhaps you should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI_NCBxZuho