PDA

View Full Version : How many holders do the 5X7 and up crew carry with them for a shoot?

audioexcels
6-Mar-2008, 00:43
I haven't seen this one posted and thought it would be an interesting one.

Sorry to leave out 45, but why not let 45 be part of the thread as well;)!

One thing that I start to think about is the larger format sizes and how holders become heavier and heavier with the next step up in format size. There's always this mentioning about say, light field 8X10 cameras from Toho/Phillips/Ritter/etc. So you have a 6-7lbs 8X10 camera, but when you factor in the weight of holders, larger lenses, etc. etc. is there much of a point in having that lightweight field cam anymore?

Not to get off-topic, but I'm curious about how many holders everyone around here takes with them in these situations:

1) Travel by car, get out and walk say, a mile max, but more like the usual scenario of seeing a nice view during your travels and taking a digital, I mean, LF snap;).

2) Hiking for say, a 5-20 mile hike.

3) Travelling via airlines around your country (be it a trip from NY to CA and then using the cam for some hikes with friends from CA or simply out of car, or a variation...or be it a trip from Sweden to Italy, etc. etc.). Whatever it is where it involves travelling by plane from within your own country.

4) Travelling Worldwide, be it one continent to another or multiple continents.

I think I have them mostly covered, but if you can think of other situations, that would be great.

So the question is for the 5X7 and up crew, though I leave this available for the 45 only shooters to jump in with their own setups during the above 4 situations.

soeren
6-Mar-2008, 02:45
Hi
I Carry a Sinar Norma 5X7
a 150 Apo and a 240 S symmar.
6 holders (12shots)
2 meters

I have only used the camera for one day outings on foot.
I carry it in a Lowe Pro Rover AW. Its a very tight fit and the backpack will be replaced.
Kind regards
Søren

Enrico Faini
6-Mar-2008, 02:58
I carry a 5x7 nagaoka along with a 180 and 240 fujinon A in kelty backpack
to keep the weight down usually I don't take with me more than three or four holders

Ole Tjugen
6-Mar-2008, 03:10
Gandolfi 7x5" Traditional, 90, 120, 165, 210 and 355mm lenses, light meter, tripod, five 5x7" and two 13x18cm holders. I carry two kinds of holders so that I can have B&W in the 5x7" and colour slides in the 13x18cm ones.

I usually also bring extra film and a changing bag. If I'm travelling by plane I'll bring more holders too - and probably more lenses (you never know what you're going to need).

Clay Turtle
6-Mar-2008, 04:23
If I am going out in the field (woods) for a day, I generally carry more holders as I like an assortment, b&w, color neg. & slide. You never know what you will find around the bend till you get there. Just started shooting 5x7 so that will add a couple of holders.
PS I carry the film holder is a soft-side thermal (beer) cooler

eddie
6-Mar-2008, 05:33
in my car. all the holders. 10-12 8x10 and up to 20-25 4x5 (2 graphmatics as well.)

hiking: graphmatic, 4 holders, changing bag and more film.

flying: 6-10 in 8x10 and 12 4x5 an the two graophmatics.

outside USA 4x5. 10 holders (did not own the graphmatics then)

climbabout
6-Mar-2008, 06:31
My full setup weighs in around 55 lbs - includes pack, gitzo tripod, 8x10 deardorff, meter, 3 filters, 4 lenses - 6/10/14/18", darkcloth, loupe, and 12 holders. That is what I would travel with for any trip of 2 days or more. For short trips or hiking, I can get it down to just under 50lbs with all of the above, except only 4-6 holders.
Tim

Michael Graves
6-Mar-2008, 06:42
I have a mid-sized sports bag I bought at Target that holds 12 film holders and a light meter in the main compartment, two lenses in the two end compartments and filters in the front pouch. I can sling it over my shoulder and go. Usually only carry 8 thought because then I can fit the compendium in with the rails going over the top.

Gene McCluney
6-Mar-2008, 08:57
I shoot 5x7 location. I carry about 65-100 loaded holders in my vehicle, and take 2 to 4 holders with me if I walk some distance from the vehicle.

John O'Connell
6-Mar-2008, 09:04
Hiking: 4-6 8x10 holders (no more than 6), Gowland View 8x10, 3.5 lenses on Sinar Boards (159mm, 355mm, 600/800mm tele), all in a Gregory int'l frame pack. For long hikes (3 miles+ to destination) I keep the camera unassembled in the pack.

Driving: 8 8x10 holders, rest is the same, but the camera remains assembled in the trunk.

Flying: never with LF.

Vaughn
6-Mar-2008, 10:53
I use a not-so-lightweight Zone VI 8x10. I don't think I would mind having a same-or-better quality 8x10 that weighed 4 to 6 pounds lighter. My set-up is about 60 pounds, but that includes a full size Ries pod and double tilt head. So losing 6 pounds brings my total weight down 10% (and makes the number of pounds equal to my age, as if that is significant or something...:p ).

But in reality, I would just find something else to toss in the pack.

I usually have 6 to 8 8x10 holders in my pack for both long and short hikes (one never knows when a short hike will turn into a long hike). I do try to pick my holders that do not have the metal darkslides, but usually ends up just grabbing what I have. In fact, lately I have holders with one metal and one non-metal slide. I was grabbing all my holders with non-metal slides for the first day of photographing, and then having all metal ones the next day! -- might as well spread out the weight!

On vehicle trips, I tend to load up every 8x10 holder I have...18 or so...and keep them in an ice chest (w/o ice!). I am usually away from the car all day as I can't seem to be able to see well (photographically) from a moving vehicle.

I have only flown once with the 8x10. My 8x10 pack is actually a travel pack I have adapted. One nice feature is the flap that zips and hides away the shoulder straps and hip belt. I had a bag for the tripod, and all my clothes went into there (the head went into my 8x10 pack). I took along 6 holders and a changing tent. I have traveled internationally a few times with a 4x5...usually with 6 holders. Bicycled for a little over 5 months in New Zealand with the 4x5 and 6 holders.

When I was using a 5x7, I think I carried 5 to 6 holders. It seems like 6 holders is about the most I expect to use in a day. I often come home with a holder unexposed. And if I run out of film hopefully it is about when the light dims for the evening...and if I run out sooner, then I get to just sit there and appreciate the end of the day.

Vaughn

Ron Marshall
6-Mar-2008, 11:17
150, 210, 300, 450 lenses, Sinar 5x7 and five film-holders. This is only for very short hikes. My back has, in no uncertain terms, informed me that for longer hikes the Toho is mandatory.

Daniel_Buck
6-Mar-2008, 11:42
I usually have 8 4x5 holders with me, I'm just starting 8x10 and I have two holders so far. I'm curious how folks carry their 8x10 holders, they take up alot of space!

Drew Bedo
6-Mar-2008, 12:54
I carry an early Zone VI (4x5) with 10-12 holders. When I shoot with my 8x10, I load up the 6 holders that I have.

Scott Davis
6-Mar-2008, 13:06
Canham 5x7 woodfield, anywhere from 2-6 lenses (90 f6.8 Rodenstock, 110 f8 Dagor, 120 f5.6 Nikkor Macro, 150 f5.6 Rodenstock, 210 f5.6 Rodenstock, 250 f6.7 Fujinon, 300 f6.3 Commercial Ektar) and a dozen 5x7 holders. I've also got the 5x12 conversion kit for the 5x7, and when I shoot with it, I have 3 or 4 lenses (159 f12.5 Wollensak, 210 f6.3 Wollensak, 240 f9 Docter Optics, 300 f6.3 Commercial Ektar), and three film holders ( only have three film holders for the 5x12).

That's the on-the-road kit. I take the 5x7 outfit with me in a Pelican backpack that has expandable side pockets that fit a half-dozen 5x7 film holders each, so I can get the camera, meter, five or six lenses, and darkcloth all in the main compartment. I carry the tripod in my hands, or strap it to the bottom of the bag. That lets me get pretty far from my mode of transportation whatever it might be. The 5x12 fits the camera, three holders and three lenses in a Zone VI "cooler" style camera bag.

Chris Strobel
6-Mar-2008, 13:08
I carry six 8x10 holders myself in two gnass pouches

Drew Bedo
6-Mar-2008, 13:08
Ok, Sorry I didn't read the whole thing at first.

When traveling, walking, I carry my 4x5 with 6-10 loaded holders, a 90mm f/8 Nikor and a 150mm f/5.6 Fujinon.and an off-brand carbon tripod. All but the tripod fits snugly into an old 35mm camera bag with no deviders. I'll walk a mile with it but no more.

My 8x10 outfit is much the same, but I have two old "catalog cases" and airline folding wheels to for them. I do not travel much with the 8x10 except a little by car. So far the 6 8x10 holders are enough, I bring a changing bag and reload if necessary.

John Kasaian
6-Mar-2008, 17:09
It all depends on what I'm after. Working out of a car, 12-18 holders. Short hikes, 3-6 holders. Long trips really depend on my objective and mode of travel (airplane, pack mule, etc...) and I'll take along a changing bag and maybe even the unicolor if a motel is in the plans. This is for 8x10. For 5x7 handheld stuff I'll put the Speed Graphic and 4 or 6 holders in a Jansport Equinox day pack(this may change since I got my nifty swiss army rucksack!)

John Bowen
6-Mar-2008, 17:21
I try not to get too far from the vehicle. My 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 7x17 holders are packed in bags that hold 6 holders. I can carry multiple 4x5 bags on my belt. I have the ability to carry 2-3 8x10 holders in my f64 backpack.

If I have any real hiking to do I take the 4x5.

The car has 24-30 4x5 holders, 12 5x7 holders, 30 8x10 holders and 9 7x17 holders.

MIke Sherck
6-Mar-2008, 17:42
My 8x10 kit consists of a Wehman 8x10 camera, Fuji 210mm and 420mm lenses, four film holders, tripod, and etc. The camera, lenses and misc. bits fit into an ordinary Spaulding backpack, the tripod has its own carry strap, and the film holders fit into one of a cheap laptop computer bag, an oddly flat shaped cooler bag I found at Menard's, or a different cooler bag I bought at a garage sale. My favorite is the computer bag, for which I paid $16 on clearance at Target and is well padded and top-opening. Not as waterproof as I'd like but you can't have everything.

Mike

Clyde Rogers
6-Mar-2008, 18:01
I've generally carried four to six holders (and three lenses---110,180,300) when shooting 5x7, depending on the situation. If I bring more holders, they stay in reserve in the car.

When I shoot 4x5, I generally stop at six (but occasionally do eight). If I feel the need to bring more, I switch to readyloads.

--clyde

QT Luong
6-Mar-2008, 18:05
I carry in general 5 holders. Enough for a sunrise or sunset session, or a short hike from the car. If I feel I may need more, I carry a changing bag and a box of film.

erie patsellis
6-Mar-2008, 19:37
Man,
I must be a glutton for punishment:

On a drive, I typically take 20-24 loaded 8x10 holders, with a variety of films (about 1/2 Ultrafine Dupe film) All in an old vulcanite padded case.

Hiking, I use a rolling/convertible backpack with a camera, 5-6 holders and a fanny pack for all the odds and ends, tripod over the shoulder.

erie

cotdt
6-Mar-2008, 19:40
that's why 4x5 is better. i can fit the camera and a dozen holders in my backpack.

erie patsellis
6-Mar-2008, 19:53
Yeah, but contact prints from 4x5's look tiny....

erie

cotdt
6-Mar-2008, 20:26
Yeah, but contact prints from 4x5's look tiny....

contact prints from 5x7 also tiny... 8x10 is a must for contact prints anyway!

erie patsellis
6-Mar-2008, 20:49
The more I dry shoot my 16x20 back on the 20x24, the more 8x10 is starting to look small (though portable and light..)

erie

Nick_3536
6-Mar-2008, 23:06
that's why 4x5 is better. i can fit the camera and a dozen holders in my backpack.

With a big enough backpack you could do the same thing with any format . Dozen holders? I bet I could fit that into one of my backpacks with the camera easily.

audioexcels
7-Mar-2008, 00:20
I think having 24 shots on a hike is quite excessive, but nevertheless, this thread is about how many holders each individual generally carries with them. I should think if one is going on a camping type hike where you are going 30 miles one way or so and camping along the hike, one can easily carry a low count of holders and have more film with you, along with a changing tent since you'll have a tent with you anyhow;):).

cotdt
7-Mar-2008, 00:40
I think having 24 shots on a hike is quite excessive, but nevertheless, this thread is about how many holders each individual generally carries with them. I should think if one is going on a camping type hike where you are going 30 miles one way or so and camping along the hike, one can easily carry a low count of holders and have more film with you, along with a changing tent since you'll have a tent with you anyhow;):).

hmm... when i'm not using movements i usually go through 24 shots in a matter of an hour or less. i keep a changing bag and a pack of film in my car. the thing holding me back from shooting my 4x5 more is the cost of color slide film and then scanning them. for B&W my 35mm equipment already does an incredible job. amazing tonal range, beautiful texture, as well as 10x the resolution of my DSLR, what more can I ask for? 4x5 is overkill here.

the main problem i see with 5x7 is the cost of a dozen holders, carrying them, and the high cost of shooting slide film. i already mentioned the my own practical problems of 4x5, so 5x7 is twice as bad as the film is twice as big.

personally, i don't see the fun in hiking 30 miles just to get... 2 shots. whoop-dee-do. i guess you can tag your DSLR along to get the remaining shots, but in practice you'd wish you can take more of the shots with your large format.

John Kasaian
7-Mar-2008, 00:57
I think of it as a logistical challenge really. I've gotten my 8x10 in some pretty bizarre places and I've found it personally rewarding even if I didn't get the shot I was after. Just getting there is fun :) Try taking a lf camera sking or up in a piper cub or in talus. It's a blast!

Vaughn
7-Mar-2008, 10:54
I usually have 8 4x5 holders with me, I'm just starting 8x10 and I have two holders so far. I'm curious how folks carry their 8x10 holders, they take up alot of space!

My converted travel pack has a zipped-on (removable) daypack on the front of it. It holds 5 to 6 holders...though 6 is tight. The main pack is a large well designed panel-loader. The panel unzips within an inch or so from the bottom of the pack.

I can put up to three more holders inside the pack. I put in the camera, GG down, into the pack then put a piece of close cell foam (old backpacking sleeping pad) on top of that, then a bag with up to 3 holders on top of that. BTW, that foam pad is great to have -- for setting equipment on and for sitting on on wet or sharp rocks, and snow.

I do not think I have ever carried more than 8 holders at one time. But I might be able to find a way to cram up to 12 holders, but it would be awkward and heavy.

In theory, I could carry another 6 in a zippered insulated bag...but I'd have to hand carry that, or find a way to strap it to the outside of my pack. Would work for a very short distance.

Vaughn

PS...John, Yep! Being there is half the fun! The other half is getting there and then wondering how in the world one is going to get out of there! Getting an image along the way is the gravy!

audioexcels
7-Mar-2008, 19:56
hmm... when i'm not using movements i usually go through 24 shots in a matter of an hour or less. i keep a changing bag and a pack of film in my car. the thing holding me back from shooting my 4x5 more is the cost of color slide film and then scanning them. for B&W my 35mm equipment already does an incredible job. amazing tonal range, beautiful texture, as well as 10x the resolution of my DSLR, what more can I ask for? 4x5 is overkill here.

the main problem i see with 5x7 is the cost of a dozen holders, carrying them, and the high cost of shooting slide film. i already mentioned the my own practical problems of 4x5, so 5x7 is twice as bad as the film is twice as big.

personally, i don't see the fun in hiking 30 miles just to get... 2 shots. whoop-dee-do. i guess you can tag your DSLR along to get the remaining shots, but in practice you'd wish you can take more of the shots with your large format.

I think a 30 mile hike with 6-8X10 holders would be an interesting one vs. a 4X5 kit with 24 holders;)...8X10 being 4X the area of 45, of course.

You know that the Nagaoka 57 weighs 3ish lbs. It can have a 45 reduction back making the total a huge 4.2ish lbs. Cutting expired 810 film is no more expensive than using 45 film. Can take 6-10 67 holders easily on a 30 mile pack especially if you use the Nagaoka. Even hiking with a 5-6lb field 5X7 wouldn't be difficult.

I'm shocked you shoot slide film with 45 but b/w in 35mm. The whole point of using sheet film is to have grainless prints and many argue 57 has far less grain than 45. But you can get TONS of b/w film for 45 and just carry a 50 sheet box with you on the hike;).

cotdt
7-Mar-2008, 20:12
I'm shocked you shoot slide film with 45 but b/w in 35mm. The whole point of using sheet film is to have grainless prints and many argue 57 has far less grain than 45. But you can get TONS of b/w film for 45 and just carry a 50 sheet box with you on the hike;).

Hehehe =)

I started out shooting slides in 35mm and B&W in 4x5... but now it's the other way around. The thing is that I notice a huge difference between the quality of 35mm slides and 4x5 slides, but when it comes to B&W prints up to 11x14, my 35mm is just as grainless and detailed as the 4x5. My 35mm film is like ISO 16, so I still have to use a tripod, but yeah... I'm really impressed by the quality. There's more detail than the naked eye can see.

I guess 5x7 is doable since they are still pretty light. But 8x10... too much! And such large films will have to be scanned or contact printed for sure, because few people have enlargers that big. I once read about this guy who had to punch a hole in his ceiling to fit just a 4x5 enlarger.

audioexcels
8-Mar-2008, 07:13
Hehehe =)

I started out shooting slides in 35mm and B&W in 4x5... but now it's the other way around. The thing is that I notice a huge difference between the quality of 35mm slides and 4x5 slides, but when it comes to B&W prints up to 11x14, my 35mm is just as grainless and detailed as the 4x5. My 35mm film is like ISO 16, so I still have to use a tripod, but yeah... I'm really impressed by the quality. There's more detail than the naked eye can see.

I guess 5x7 is doable since they are still pretty light. But 8x10... too much! And such large films will have to be scanned or contact printed for sure, because few people have enlargers that big. I once read about this guy who had to punch a hole in his ceiling to fit just a 4x5 enlarger.

ISO16???????????????...no wonder...LOL!

What do you shoot with on 35mm btw? Do you even shoot digital? I didn't recall reading if you did, but if you can nail down b/w with 35mm and get color with 45, I don't see a reason to have anything but a decent point and shoot digital for snaps, though 35mm is easy for snaps especially if you use a rangefinder.

That's funny about the guy punching a hole in the ceiling...haahaahahahah...makes for a nice bass trap eh?:):)

Jiri Vasina
9-Mar-2008, 14:14
I'm not shooting 5×7 for long, but for dedicated photography outing I carry all my 8 holders with me. On several occasions I have shot all of them. Twice I even had to resort to 4×5, because I was seeing more shots. (There are also outings all-day with just 1 or 2 shots, and even those are a bit forced).

But anyway 8 5×7 holders, and some (I'd say around 5) 4×5 holders.

If it's not dedicated to photography, I'd either take a 4×5 camera with 5-8 holders, or if even lighter, I'd go with my Fuji 6×9cm rangefinder (and both slow and fast film and no tripod).

Scott Squires
9-Mar-2008, 15:29
I am getting ready to head to Arizona for a couple Spring Training Baseball games (Angels) and also Wild Flowers and Saguaro NP. I am taking my Canham 8x10 with 8x10 and 4x10 backs and 12 - 8x10 and 6 - 4x10 holders. I have an AWB case that holds six 8x10 holders or I can fill it with four 8x10 holders and four 4x10 holders. Works nicely for a days shooting!

Clay Turtle
11-Mar-2008, 11:30
Not to shooting 8x10 yet but I did pick up a holder as a guage for build. Funny thing my niece bought a new lab top & lent me her old one came with a carrying case which incidental would work nicely for 8x10 film holders!
PS My more recent shoots, I have been using a shooting vest (gun hunting camo type).
As I have two such vest during a recent cold snap I decided to wear one & as odd as it may look to others, I like it! The vest has upper zipper pockets large enough for your meter & lower flapped pockets with snaps or velcro for secure storage but large enough to stick the slide in during the shoot . . . makes for a convenient place to put slide. The lower pockets has elastic web for shells which I use to store clips for closing & holding the dark cloth & as they are inside the pocket, I don't have to worry about losing them. The back panel is a zippered game bag which you could velcro your dark bag into for travel. Makes an excellent shooting vest for LF camera as it does for hunting. I used to carry a lot of things in a separate bag which have found a new home in the vest! Delete 1 bag from portage.