PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lense Selection.

CTSELLAS
5-Mar-2008, 23:15
Hey Everyone!

So I need some help. I am new to the Large Format world and right now am shooting with a TOYO 45ax with a 135mm Nikkor Lense. I shoot a lot indoors and am really interested in purchasing another lense but am kind of lost on which to get. I want to be able to get more information on the sides so I am thinking of a 90mm or a 105. My questions to all of you are:

1) Is there much difference in the two sizes.

2) Does anyone have any examples or know links where I can see images shot with these size lenses? (THAT BE AWESOME)

Now I really would like a lense within a reasonable price. 2 grand is not something I am looking to spend. I am nervous with the 90 that my edges will get distorted which I DO NOT want.

Any advice be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
CHRIS

Dave Moeller
6-Mar-2008, 01:26
Chris-

If you have experience in 35mm photography, you can use it to help you with lens selection in 4x5. The two formats have different aspect ratios (35mm is longer/narrower than 4x5) so conversion between the two formats isn't an exact science. Many people use a converstion factor of three. That is, a 35mm lens is equivalent to a 4x5 lens that's 3x the focal length. (A 50mm lens on 35mm is equivalent to a 150mm lens on 4x5.) If you know the focal length you'd use in 35mm, multiply by 3 to find the equivalent 4x5 lens.

Canon has a page that shows the effect of differing focal length in 35mm photography: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

You asked about the difference between your 135mm lens and either a 90mm or 105mm lens. If you think about equivalent lenses on 35mm, you're comparing a 45mm lens to lenses of 30mm and 35mm. Is that significant? It is to me, but only you know if it is to you.

In my experience, distortion just isn't much of a problem with large format lenses. 35mm wide angle lenses tend to be retrofocus designs, and as such suffer from much greater distortion than 4x5 lenses.

If you want a reasonably priced 90mm lens, check out any of common 90mm f/8 lenses. For example, 90mm f/8 Schneider Super Angulon lenses can be purchased for less than $500.

There are plenty of threads on the forum about the performance of specific lenses. You can use the Search function to find them.

Best of luck.

Dan Fromm
6-Mar-2008, 04:09
Um, Chris, there are a moderate number of 90 mm lenses ("models" and quantities) that will cover 4x5 floating around but but very few 105s. Most of the 100 - 105 mm lenses in shutter that you'll find cover nominal 6x9. Just get a nice 90 -- not a plain ordinary Angulon or Raptar if you want to use movements -- and be done with it.

Ron Marshall
6-Mar-2008, 11:22
As Dan has said, the 105 is a 6x9 lens. Go for the 90; it is equivalent to a 27mm on 35mm. You can still buy Nikkor 90mm f4.5 new at B+H Photo Video, or look for a Super Angulon or Nikkor at KEH Camera Brokers or Midwest Photo Exchange.

CTSELLAS
6-Mar-2008, 19:44
BH doesnt sell the 90mm nikkor anymore. It has been discontinued. When I called B&H they suggested I use the 105. I am guessing they are idiots. HAHA.

Thanks!

Dan Fromm
7-Mar-2008, 04:06
BH doesnt sell the 90mm nikkor anymore. It has been discontinued. When I called B&H they suggested I use the 105. I am guessing they are idiots. HAHA.

Thanks!B&H are not idiots. You, though, are much too lazy and not as, um, quick as you need to be. If you go to B&H's site, you'll see that they offer a 105/5.6 Nikkor-W and that Nikon claims the circle covered at f/22 is 153 mm.

You don't read very well either. I wrote "Most of the 100 - 105 mm lenses in shutter that you'll find cover nominal 6x9." Most does not mean all.

Ron Marshall
7-Mar-2008, 10:00
Have a look at KEH, their used prices are more reasonable than B&H:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

CTSELLAS
7-Mar-2008, 11:05
Dan no reason to be nasty. If you read what I said I was complimenting all of you. Nice to see how friendly people on here are. Also if you read my original post you would of seen that I am new to this entire 4x5 format. I just don't understand the nastiness. If this is how this site is forget it.

Justin Black
7-Mar-2008, 11:15
Since you already have a slightly wide lens in the 135mm, I would strongly recommend a 90mm. I like the Rodenstock Grandagon-N f/6.8 model (the Caltar II-N is the same lens), though the Schneider Super-Angulon f/8, Nikkor f/8, and Fujinon f/8 models are all excellent. The Nikkor is preferred by many because it offers the greatest coverage and the lightest weight, though all the others are close enough in performance to be virtually indistinguishable for general use. Just make sure you get a multicoated one.

JPlomley
7-Mar-2008, 11:33
If you are shooting indoors, I would recommend the Rodenstock 90mm/4.5 Grandagon-N. The extra viewfinder brightness will be a real bonus and facilitate precise focussing. I would also recommend a Silvestri 6x tilting loupe to get into the corners of the groundglass and also help offest the light falloff which can otherwise hinder your assessment of focus. The downside to the f/4.5 version of the Grandagon is that it is heavier than the f/6.8 version that Justin refers to and does take an 82mm filter, but in my experience the superb performance of this lens makes the weight and extra bulk of the Copal 1 shutter more than tolerable.

JPlomley
7-Mar-2008, 11:34
Forgot to add that the IC is 236mm for the 90/4.5 Grandagon.

Nick_3536
7-Mar-2008, 11:47
Used the Fuji 105mm SW is often fairly reasonable. It's a F/8 lens so you might find it too dark for indoor work. It's got plenty of coverage for 5x7.

New it's more money then the SW 90mm.

Dan Fromm
7-Mar-2008, 15:49
Dan no reason to be nasty. If you read what I said I was complimenting all of you. Nice to see how friendly people on here are. Also if you read my original post you would of seen that I am new to this entire 4x5 format. I just don't understand the nastiness. If this is how this site is forget it.Um, Chris, instead of trying to understand what the person at B&H told you, you made an unjustified and nasty comment about the firm. I respect B&H highly, have always found their staff to be very helpful. The firm is more-or-less the best in the business.

All strangers are entitled to respect until they show they aren't. That was you; HAHA did it for you, but good.

You've said that you don't know much about 4x5. That's been true of all of us. Go read the FAQs on www.largeformatphotography.info . You might also buy a book on large format photography. I've never read it, but Steve Simmons' book is often recommended for beginners. I make the suggestions because asking questions as they come to you and sorting through the short, sometimes contradictory, responses they elicit is not the best way to learn what you want to know.

Good luck, have fun, be more thoughtful,