PDA

View Full Version : 12x20 Arca Swiss ULF conversion

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 12:26
I have been thinking about building a ULF camera for sometime, but my 12 hour days as a basic cancer researcher kept me from investing much time into this. However, I took a vacation recently and here it is. A 12x20 camera converted from Arca Swiss parts. Basically, it uses the front and the rails of an Arca Swiss F basic connected to two parallel Arca rails by a 3/8x3x12 inch aluminum plate. The 12x20 camera back sits on the two rails via two Arca function carriers. To give enough front raise, I raised the front part of the camera by a 1.5 inch oak block and a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. In the final configuration, the lens will be centered relative to the 12x20 back. This camera weighs only 21 lbs and is as rigid as a Arca Swiss 4x5.I have no doubt hat this set up will support 20x24 if I want to go that size. It goes horizontal and vertical. The best thing is I can virtually use any format I want. All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back. This is a great feeling! Why? I can still use my Arca Swiss 4x5, Arca 8x10. The only other system that is so convertible is the Keith Canham cameras. But the Arca conversion has rear shift, tilt and swing, which few ULF has.

http://www.pbase.com/aria1117/ultra_large_format_project

james

Richard M. Coda
5-Mar-2008, 12:40
I'm drooling... waiting for Keith to complete my 11x14 back for my Arca 8x10!

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 12:51
I think an Arca Swiss conversion make the most sense. I have checked many cameras, non are as good as Arca. One of the advantage is its 171mm frame, one of the largest. This would allow me to attach a 900mm f9 Zeiss lens to the front standard.

sanking
5-Mar-2008, 13:21
I have been thinking about building a ULF camera for sometime, but my 12 hour days as a basic cancer researcher kept me from investing much time into this. However, I took a vacation recently and here it is. A 12x20 camera converted from Arca Swiss parts. Basically, it uses the front and the rails of an Arca Swiss F basic connected to two parallel Arca rails by a 3/8x3x12 inch aluminum plate. The 12x20 camera back sits on the two rails via two Arca function carriers. To give enough front raise, I raised the front part of the camera by a 1.5 inch oak block and a 1/4 inch aluminum plate. In the final configuration, the lens will be centered relative to the 12x20 back. This camera weighs only 21 lbs and is as rigid as a Arca Swiss 4x5.I have no doubt hat this set up will support 20x24 if I want to go that size. It goes horizontal and vertical. The best thing is I can virtually use any format I want. All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back. This is a great feeling! Why? I can still use my Arca Swiss 4x5, Arca 8x10. The only other system that is so convertible is the Keith Canham cameras. But the Arca conversion has rear shift, tilt and swing, which few ULF has.

http://www.pbase.com/aria1117/ultra_large_format_project

james

James,

Great concept, and so much flexibility in terms of back size. Look forward to seeing your work with this camera.

Weather there, on the other hand, would really turn me off. We are basking in 80+ F weather, and sunny, today here in South Carolina.

Sandy King

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 14:03
James,

Great concept, and so much flexibility in terms of back size. Look forward to seeing your work with this camera.

Weather there, on the other hand, would really turn me off. We are basking in 80+ F weather, and sunny, today here in South Carolina.

Sandy King

Sandy,

I felt like a freshman in a college with a new BMW: no excuses for not taking good pictures. I have got all the gears now for sure! On the other hand, I have no complains about Philly weather. I actually enjoy the snow once in a while:) .

James

Tracy Storer
5-Mar-2008, 14:11
All I needed is attach a dovetail under the camera back.

Hey James, nice work! Is the Arca dovetail 45 deg. or 60 deg.?

Really Big Cameras
5-Mar-2008, 14:12
James,

Awesome! Nice to see another ULF ARCA-Swiss modder out there. You've probably seen photos of my 7x17 Franken-ARCA. I'm now working on a super-sized 14x17 version. The modular nature, great precision and over-engineering of the ARCA-SWISS cameras makes them the perfect platform for these types of DIY format conversion projects.

Kerry

Pete Roody
5-Mar-2008, 14:28
James,

Awesome concept. SK Grimes is currently machining an aluminum format frame for my 14x20 Deardorff back. I plan on using a pre Monolith M-Line standard for supporting the frame. I wish I had thought of your concept. Spreading the support points for the back should add rigidity. How rigid is the camera?

Pete

Colin Graham
5-Mar-2008, 14:54
Very cool indeed. That mounting block is brilliant. So you have a similar dovetail block on the short side of the back for switching to vertical orientation? What a great idea.

Jorge Gasteazoro
5-Mar-2008, 14:55
Very clever James! Show us more pics, I see you have two rails on the back, is this correct? I guess you are using a removable GG as well.... Looks like fun....start brushing up on your contact printing, you will love the big neg...

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 15:00
James,

Awesome! Nice to see another ULF ARCA-Swiss modder out there. You've probably seen photos of my 7x17 Franken-ARCA. I'm now working on a super-sized 14x17 version. The modular nature, great precision and over-engineering of the ARCA-SWISS cameras makes them the perfect platform for these types of DIY format conversion projects.

Kerry

Kerry,

Where are the pictures of your Arca conversion posted? I would love to see it to get ideas to improve mine, make it easier to pack etc.

James

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 15:01
Hey James, nice work! Is the Arca dovetail 45 deg. or 60 deg.?

Trace,

It's 45 degrees.

james

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 15:11
James,

Awesome concept. SK Grimes is currently machining an aluminum format frame for my 14x20 Deardorff back. I plan on using a pre Monolith M-Line standard for supporting the frame. I wish I had thought of your concept. Spreading the support points for the back should add rigidity. How rigid is the camera?

Pete

Originally I thought of using three rails, one to focus, and the two side rails to stabilize. It tried two and found it to be rock solid! Using this camera gives me the feel of using an 8x10! You can poke the camera from side to side, and all you notice is the whole camera moves. The weakest link (tripod included) would be the tripod plate that's holding the Arca Swiss Ball head.

James

Really Big Cameras
5-Mar-2008, 15:12
Kerry,

Where are the pictures of your Arca conversion posted? I would love to see it to get ideas to improve mine, make it easier to pack etc.

James

James,

Check out this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17878) for photos of my 7x17 Franken-ARCA. The photos are in post #37 on the 4th page.

Kerry

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 15:19
Very cool indeed. That mounting block is brilliant. So you have a similar dovetail block on the short side of the back for switching to vertical orientation? What a great idea.

yes

james zhou
5-Mar-2008, 15:28
James,

Check out this thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17878) for photos of my 7x17 Franken-ARCA. The photos are in post #37 on the 4th page.

Kerry

Kerry,

your camera is simply beautiful!!! It's so compact that you can travel by air with it!

James