PDA

View Full Version : Studio camera, Anybody recognize?

venchka
5-Mar-2008, 11:49
Please take a look at this thread I posted in For Sae/Wanted.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33899

Can anyone shed any light on the camera? Any idea what size film/plates this beast uses? More importantly, does the lens look familiar? Jim? Ole? Aynone?

Scott Davis
5-Mar-2008, 12:46
Knowing the stand, I'll guess from the size of the camera, it takes up to 8x10, smaller sizes with reducing backs. Most likely it had a sliding back that allowed multiples on 8x10/5x7 sheets. I'll leave the lens commentary to other more expert individuals. The camera appears to be a Century Master Studio or other related model. The stand is a Century studio stand, and that strange structure on top of the camera platform that the camera is sitting on MAY be the missing film holder bins that commonly reside below the camera platform. The stand overall appears quite complete, with the noted exception. It even has the parking brake.

Jim Galli
5-Mar-2008, 13:00
Not enough here for a positive id. I'll guess it's a cosmetically restored Century 7a or 9a. The thing it's sitting on is a cradle affair that allows the camera to tilt a few degrees side to side. The thing in the front is a vignetter. There are cards that slide in and vignette the front of the lens. It swings out of the way when not wanted. The lens in intrigueing and could triple the value depending on what it is. I can't tell from the photo. You could call the folks and ask for more info about the lens.

venchka
5-Mar-2008, 13:02
Thanks Jim. I'm resisting calling. I'm trying to resist calling. I really am.

I couldn't get the thing home in my sedan.

Jim Galli
5-Mar-2008, 13:30
Thanks Jim. I'm resisting calling. I'm trying to resist calling. I really am.

I couldn't get the thing home in my sedan.

Sure you could! It breaks down into bite size chunks, although the stand can be a challenge. Even it can get quite a bit smaller by seperating the cast iron pieces at the base from the upright section. Better leave your girlfriend at home though ;)

If it's a Cooke 380mm f4.5 or something...........well, they really are a lot of fun to use.

venchka
5-Mar-2008, 13:47
You are a lot of help. My "girlfriend" told me to go over there and look at it.

Jim Galli
5-Mar-2008, 22:14
You are a lot of help. My "girlfriend" told me to go over there and look at it.

Wow! She sounds like a keeper. :cool: She definitly has great taste in cameras.

panchro-press
6-Mar-2008, 03:02
Has anyone mentioned the camera is on the stand backward? That crank should be behind the camera at the ground glass side...or am I just pointing out the obvious?

venchka
6-Mar-2008, 06:29
I didn't know any better. The C-clamp had me more concerned.

venchka
6-Mar-2008, 06:32
Am I correct in assuming that the camera has no movements on the front standard? It looks rather fixed. And what is that "stick" running from the cast iron base to the vicinity of the rotating handle under the camera platform?

venchka
6-Mar-2008, 06:35
Wow! She sounds like a keeper. :cool: She definitly has great taste in cameras.

Thanks Jim. She is a keeper. :D Seems like since forever. She likes the piece as room decoration. :rolleyes: I'm not sure we have room.

Scott Davis
6-Mar-2008, 08:23
Am I correct in assuming that the camera has no movements on the front standard? It looks rather fixed. And what is that "stick" running from the cast iron base to the vicinity of the rotating handle under the camera platform?

Yes, the camera has no front movements at all, and very limited rear movements - a little tilt and a little swing, no shift. It was designed as a portrait camera, so movements were really unnecessary. The "stick" was a support strut that also helped restrict the range of vertical tilt applied to the camera platform. There normally was a box below the camera platform that mounted between the two uprights of the stand that that arm attached to. That box has been removed from this camera. The box was used to store film holders.

venchka
6-Mar-2008, 08:33
Thank you Scott.

jnantz
6-Mar-2008, 11:04
hi wayne

this page might give you a little bit of info on
the camera and stand

http://www.photica.net/Photica/studio_cameras.htm

if it is a century camera ...
the rear standard has a little bit of tilts, and swings
( might have gear movements )
and the front standard might have a little bit of rise and fall.
the bed of the century stand might have a crank underneath to tilt it ...
the stand itself is spring loaded /counterbalanced
and will move up and down ( the piers / columns have the ribbon springs )
i can't tell from your image, but the hand crank sticking out the bottom
might lock/unlock the rise and fall of the stand or it might be geared
and not spring loaded ...
from what i understand they had different models of the stands as well.

good luck!
john

venchka
10-Mar-2008, 04:51
The whole kit and kaboodle sold for $500 to a phone bidder. I hope that person isn't too disappointed.

cpa/austin
5-May-2008, 22:26
Did anyone pick up this camera and stand? I might be interested in a trade if you are in Central Texas. I have a good collection and always looking to expand.

I live in Austin and have a Century 8A 8x10 with this same stand. This camera has over 36 inch double bellows, fixed front and rear tilt & swing.

It has a Folmer Graphlex Sliding Carriage 10A back, Folmer Graphlex Reversable half-plate back .

I will send pix to anyone interested.

jack

venchka
6-May-2008, 04:59
You might be able to get the buyer's name from the auction company. Be careful what you trade for. The front standard was far from fixed-meaning it needed surgery to firm it up. The back was missing. The stand had a few cosmetic/structural issues as well.

Good luck!