PDA

View Full Version : going to downtown Philly. ideas?

eddie
5-Mar-2008, 07:35
hi all,

i am making a trip to philly from NY this afternoon. my wife is going to the flower show. i may sneak out to do some shooting. any quick ideas for downtown philly? the convention center is on 1101 arch st. so i will be going from there.

i have been a bit lazy/busy top really search up some stuff. any tips would be great. i will be shooting my chamonix 4x5 (90mm and a 150 triple convertible) and a 35mm.

thanks for the last minute ideas.

eddie

Scott Davis
5-Mar-2008, 07:59
The Museum of Art is great, and you'll have time/proximity to slip over to Eastern State Penitentiary, which is an absolute treasure trove of opportunities (you could spend WEEKS in there as a large format photographer). Eastern State is located on Fairmount Avenue, a bit east of the art museum. Easy enough to get to via taxi or driving.

eddie
5-Mar-2008, 08:04
ESP thaty sounds great! do i need to commit a felony to get inside? is there a feee to get in? LF with a tripod okay? this is perfect. exactly what i needed.

thanks scott

eddie

just called. till march they are only open for a1 hour tour. no tripods! moving fast. still may be good for my 35mm! after april it is open all day. tripod fee of $10. entance fee 9$. 1 year membership $30=no tripod fee.

eddie

Scott Davis
5-Mar-2008, 08:09
There is an admission fee, and they ask you for a one-time tripod use fee (they may waive it since you're in the "off-season" and it won't be busy on a weekday). I forget what the admission fee is but it is reasonable. ESP is a privately run museum, and the maintenance costs are substantial.

http://www.easternstate.org/

for more details. If you do need to buy the tripod pass, it is good for an entire year. Trust me, it will be worth it, because you'll want to come back. Again and again.

Richard M. Coda
5-Mar-2008, 08:09
A bodyguard might be in order ;^)

Skorzen
5-Mar-2008, 08:15
Well when I am iat school I am about 40 min from Philly, but or course I am home for spring break. I have never shot in Philly, but on top of what others have said here Love park might be interesting along with the bridges into Jersey.

Pete Roody
5-Mar-2008, 09:57
eddie,

make sure you ask for the short stay rate at the penetentiary. long stays are not recommended. :)

i would love to shoot this place one weekend. let's put it on the schedule.

pete

Pete Roody
5-Mar-2008, 11:25
There is an admission fee, and they ask you for a one-time tripod use fee (they may waive it since you're in the "off-season" and it won't be busy on a weekday). I forget what the admission fee is but it is reasonable. ESP is a privately run museum, and the maintenance costs are substantial.

http://www.easternstate.org/

for more details. If you do need to buy the tripod pass, it is good for an entire year. Trust me, it will be worth it, because you'll want to come back. Again and again.

I am the first to complain about regulations against tripod use at venues such as this. The fee for tripods is very reasonable and it is great to see a sensible approach is taken towards their use by the museum. Tripods are not evil!

John O'Connell
5-Mar-2008, 13:54
Waterworks/art museum are a cab ride away: you want the back side and along the river unless you want to relive Rocky.

You can get into the Navy Yard (end of Broad Street) with any photo ID; lots of wild stuff there. Great front-on view of the CV-67, lots of ships.

mrladewig
5-Mar-2008, 13:56
If you want gritty, drive down south of the airport into chester a ways. Can't remember the highway's name, but I thought I'd been driven through a bombing range. There were just shells of row houses down there. On on the other side of the road were oil refineries.

I used to work in Wilmington, DE and sometimes would route this way to the airport if the interstate backed up and my driver was in a hurry.

Toyon
5-Mar-2008, 16:17
Try Reading Terminal. The upstairs is a train shed where Reading Railroad (SEPTA) trains depart for suburban stations and Atlantic City. Downstairs is the Reading Terminal farmers market. Any building by architect Frank Furness is worth shooting. This includes the University of Penn. library.

thetooth
5-Mar-2008, 17:10
If you want gritty, drive down south of the airport into chester a ways. Can't remember the highway's name, but I thought I'd been driven through a bombing range. There were just shells of row houses down there. On on the other side of the road were oil refineries.

I used to work in Wilmington, DE and sometimes would route this way to the airport if the interstate backed up and my driver was in a hurry.

i would be careful in that area . not the nicest part of town . i think you are talking about the Chester , Marcus Hook area . right ?

thetooth
5-Mar-2008, 17:12
also don't forget the Mutter museum and 30 th street station . you'll have to call ahead for the Mutter though if you want to use your camera .

Bill_1856
5-Mar-2008, 18:45
I went to Philadelphia one, in 1976, but it was closed.

Matt Blaze
5-Mar-2008, 20:31
You don't say what kind of shooting you like to do. For general street photography, the Italian Market area (9th street north of Washington) is a rich time warp of food stalls and stands (and less touristy than the Reading terminal market, which will be overrun during the flower show).

Let me second the recommendations for Eastern State Penn and for the Navy Yard.

In general, Philly is a treasure trove of postindustrial ruins (which, fortunately for me, is a significant interest of mine), but you'll need to get (not terribly far) away from Center City (in almost any direction) to find that sort of subject.

There's a Calumet here if you need supplies.

John Bowen
5-Mar-2008, 21:01

They were all probably celebrating the Bicentennial......;)

Blueberrydesk
5-Mar-2008, 21:05

Bill, I grew up in Philly in the 70's...are you sure you rung the bell? :cool:

I realize I'm pretty late at answering, and I hope that the trip went well; I'll throw my vote in for the Rodin Museum (sort of). It's on the Ben Franklin Parkway, between the Art Museum and the Franklin Institute, on the north side of the road. A 'Thinker' is there, along with several other works in an outdoor environment. Great place to stop and rest.

Paul

Flexnib
5-Mar-2008, 21:10
Eddie, I am heading to Philly on friday. Will you be there?
Arthur

eddie
6-Mar-2008, 05:26
hi all thanks! i am here now.

i will be out shooting today. i will hit the navy yards in the AM and the ESP about 1 for the tour

i am going to buy the family pass. i can get 4 people in and it includes a tripod permit. i have not been there yet but i am sure it is going to be awesome.

i am staying at the sheridon society on dock st. got a $60 room though price line!

pete, they said the shortest stay they have this time of year is 1-7 years!

off to burn some film.

eddie

eddie
6-Mar-2008, 20:21
hi all,

thanks for the info. i loved the naval base. the prison was awesome too.

my LF stuff is still drying but i scanned this one for fun! plenty of air traffic. i missed the bigger, lower flying jet and settled for this one! i have other better shots but this is the most fun. more when they dry.

i only have 35mm of the prison because they said no tripods before april. i will soup the 35mm negs tomorrow.

thanks again.

eddie

eddie
7-Mar-2008, 06:30
i just got my 35mm stuff processed from the prison. AWESOME! thanks again. i will post some pics and put a link here to them. i will have to say i am going to suggest an LF shoot out there some time after the "open" in april.

cheers

eddie

Scott Davis
7-Mar-2008, 06:42
Eddie-

if you want to organize a spring outing to Eastern State, let me know and I'll round up the guys from down here in DC and we can come meet y'all. I know some good restaurants up there as well, so we can make a whole day of it. Best if you can arrange it for a weekday, as there will be far fewer visitors at that time, and we'll have the place essentially to ourselves.

BarryS
7-Mar-2008, 07:37
If you guys get something together, I'd love to come up from DC.

eddie
7-Mar-2008, 08:09
Eddie-

if you want to organize a spring outing to Eastern State, let me know and I'll round up the guys from down here in DC and we can come meet y'all. I know some good restaurants up there as well, so we can make a whole day of it. Best if you can arrange it for a weekday, as there will be far fewer visitors at that time, and we'll have the place essentially to ourselves.

will do! the guy at ESP said the week days are way less crowded. i can do a weekday but i am not sure about others. maybe we could do a fri-sat or a sun-mon. we stayed downtown at the sheridan for like $60. parking was an issue. if i could find someplace "cheap" with parking it would be perfect. i would like to get back out sometime in april, as may is already full of fun photo outings for me.

tell me what days would work for you?

eddie

BarryS
7-Mar-2008, 08:16
I think I could probably swing a Monday or a Friday--maybe coming up the night before if I could find an inexpensive room.

eddie
7-Mar-2008, 09:53
here is a new thread i started. i am thinking april 5th weekend would be great!

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?p=327094#post327094