PDA

View Full Version : Umax Mirage IIse questions

Murray
5-Mar-2008, 03:40
Hi:

I was given a retired UMAX Mirage IIse scanner with the transparency adapter. (11.3x17" I think).

My probable use will just be to be able to share ULF negs with people on the web.

However, I would like to know a couple things in case I do want a lazy quick print from the local lab, what it's limitations are.

0) I have the MagicScan software. I did ask SilverPrint about whether their product supports more than one model, and incidentally they said they don't recommend chaining two SCSI scanners together (my smaller one is SCSI also). Any idea what kind of problem there might be? Should I just get a second SCSI card, or just do it eventually for better performance.

1) The scanner's optical resolution is 'only' 700x1400. I have never understood whether higher software resolution actually accomplishes anything. Can anyone take a guess at maximum 'scanner magnification' (by overscanning at higher resolution) I could trust for giclee printing? If they print at 400 dpi, I would assume 2x magnification is it...at least by my crude ignorant rule of thumb to scan at print resolution, minimum.

2) UMAX made negative/transparency holders up to 4x5. I don't have any, but will use the UMAX for larger than 8x10 anyway.

Will they scan OK on the glass or need some kind of spacer/holder (how thick?).

Thank you

Murray Leshner
Holland MI