PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on refurbishing a Deardorff 5x7 back??

Mark Minard
27-Feb-2001, 21:45
Hello all,

I have just purchased an 8x10 to 5x7 Deardorff back and, although the wood is in nice shape, a few of the screw holes are stripped, and a few screws are missing . Is there any particular wood filler that will work best? Also, it looks as if the wood was coated with some kind of clear sealer at one time which is starting to peel off in a few spots... Would 4 ought steel wool be okay to use for this? (I'm a bit of a "tyro" when it comes to woodworking, as you can all tell.)

Last but not least, has anyone here ever heard of George Miller,INC?? This name was stamped into the wood on one side of this back, then it looks like it was partially sanded off and refinished.

Anyway, and tips and advice will be most appreciated!

Mark

Kevin M Bourque
28-Feb-2001, 00:11
Hi Mark -

Instead of wood filler, try gluing small slivers of wood into the stripped holes. That works better, in my experience.

Good luck - Kevin

Mark Minard
28-Feb-2001, 11:51
Thanks Kevin - that article you wrote on your experience refinishing the B&J is a classic!!

I'm not really interested in restoration, I just want to get the back in good working order... I'll try the Quik Wood - thanks Dan.

Now for the ground glass... I'll probably go with the Boss.

Mark