PDA

View Full Version : Second Chamonix Shootout

Hugo Zhang
1-Mar-2008, 13:42
Ladies and gentlemen,

We are planning for the second Chamonix shootout this spring. The theme of this shootout is figure/nude studies.

Here are some ideas:

1. A studio with beautiful natural light and artificial light will be rented for 1/2 day, mostly likely a Sunday morning or afternoon.

2. One or two models will be hired for the shooting.

3. Location will be somewhere in Los Angeles or Orange county.

4. LF cameras ONLY, non Chamonix users are welcome.

5. Depending on the number of interested photographers, some money may be required to cover the costs of models and studio if we can't find them free.

6. Domenico's birthday is in May and Hugo's birthday is late March, so we will have a birthday party for them. I am pretty sure some other photographers' birthday will also be in spring and we will toast to their long life too.

7. Chamonix will take care of bar tabs.

Tri, thank you for your input.

More ideas are welcome!!!

Louie Powell
1-Mar-2008, 14:24

Now that sounds like my kind of shoot!

davidb
1-Mar-2008, 14:25
nude models and free liquor?

Hell Yeah !!!!

oh crap...i live 900 miles away.

oh well.

audioexcels
1-Mar-2008, 14:58
Ladies and gentlemen,

We are planning for the second Chamonix shootout this spring. The theme of this shootout is figure/nude studies.

Here are some ideas:

1. A studio with beautiful natural light and artificial light will be rented for 1/2 day, mostly likely a Sunday morning or afternoon.

2. One or two models will be hired for the shooting.

3. Location will be somewhere in Los Angeles or Orange county.

4. LF cameras ONLY, non Chamonix users are welcome.

5. Depending on the number of interested photographers, some money may be required to cover the costs of models and studio if we can't find them free.

6. Domenico's birthday is in May and Hugo's birthday is late March, so we will have a birthday party for them. I am pretty sure some other photographers' birthday will also be in spring and we will toast to their long life too.

Tri, thank you for your input.

More ideas are welcome!!!

I would love to be a part of this. Looking forward to hearing from you as I eagerly await joining the Chamonix beauty. Hats off to Hugo the great and Chamonix the peace!

audioexcels
1-Mar-2008, 15:00

Hell Yeah !!!!

oh well.

We share the distance my friend...OR here;)

eddie
1-Mar-2008, 15:17

Hell Yeah !!!!

oh well.

damn! i am 3000 miles away!

have fun!

Mike Boden
1-Mar-2008, 15:28
I'd like to be a part of this. So count me in.

audioexcels
1-Mar-2008, 16:11
damn! i am 3000 miles away!

have fun!

It's only a cheap plane ticket over;)

davidb
1-Mar-2008, 16:44
cheap plane ticket?

isn't that an oxymoron ?

matthew blais
1-Mar-2008, 17:12
I know some models who may work for food and drink...

Mark Woods
1-Mar-2008, 17:23
Depending upon the day, count me and my Sinar in.

eddie
1-Mar-2008, 18:48
It's only a cheap plane ticket over;)

great! i will send you my address...please send me a cheap ticket and i will be there!

please do not wait.....it si cheap now so lets not miss our chance!

eddie

Rick Olson
1-Mar-2008, 20:39
Hugo ....

Getting the 8 x 20 warmed up. A good way to perfect the verticals I am working on. Keep me posted. It will be nice to see the gang again!

Rick

Hugo Zhang
23-Apr-2008, 20:46
Guys,

Here are some update:

Date: May 11th (1/2 day or whole day to be decided, depending how much fun we have:))

Place: Tri Tran's uncle's house in Orange county. We have chosen this because of its large secluded backyard. Tri will give the address later.

Food: Pizza and beer. Any other ideas?

Matt is looking for models and model(s) need to know: what and how are we doing and how long it lasts... So I need ideas. Domenico will also try to find a model. Depending how long the model(s) stay, we might have to chip in $30 each for her time. So bring your wallet.:)

I also need a final head count. We have Mike, Matt, Mark, Rick, Jim, domenico, Tri and Hugo. I would like everybody confirm here asap so we will decide if we need two/three models.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

thanks.
Hugo

PS. This shootout will also be Domenico's birthday party. Let's give him a good time!

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Apr-2008, 20:54
Hugo, put me down as a maybe on this one. My son is graduating from USC around then and I may have some family commitments. Could bring the 11x14 and the Voigtlander Hybrid lens.

Jim

Don Hutton
23-Apr-2008, 21:01
I won't be there, but if Tri's hosting, you should demand gelato...

Mike Boden
23-Apr-2008, 21:14
Count me in as a maybe. I'll confirm within the next day or so. Looking forward to it and to meeting everyone.

Also...as promised...I'll bring a bunch of tangelos from my tree. Mmmmmmm.....

Terence Patrick
24-Apr-2008, 00:59
I would be interested, but my Chamonix doesn't arrive until July! :( Unless there could be some sort of magic that can happen Hugo?

Hugo Zhang
24-Apr-2008, 06:38
Terence,

Just bring any view camera you have. It doesn't have to be a Chamonix at all. Bring a model if you can.:)

Everybody,

Tri has just reminded me that 11th is Mother's day weekend. So we may have to change the date to May 4th.

We will start at 8:30am and finish around 1:00pm. You need to bring your personal background and lighting if you need to use it. Bring your personal model too, if you have one.:)

Hugo

Mark Woods
24-Apr-2008, 09:02
Guys, I'm leaving for Seattle on May 9th for about a week. I could make it on the 4th. Keep me posted.

Hugo Zhang
24-Apr-2008, 09:31
Here's the adddress.

14111 Nancy Lee Dr
Westminster, Ca 92683

Tri's Cell Phone: 949-433-5323
Hugo's Cell Phone: 909-576-1199

Tri Tran
24-Apr-2008, 11:28
Hi All,
Looks like is a go for chamonix shootout on the May, 4th. Please mark your calendar.I'm looking forward to see the gang again next week. Any questions please feel free to ask and will keep you updated.

Don,
As for Gelato! Any suggestions for flavor of the day? :)

Have a great day,

Hugo Zhang
24-Apr-2008, 12:32
Guys,

Please confirm as soon as you can so we will know how many models we are looking. The cost for model is $125-150 each plus food and gas.

Thanks.
Hugo

Gustavo
24-Apr-2008, 12:32
I am Interested Hugo !

Hugo Zhang
24-Apr-2008, 12:35
Gustavo,

You are welcome and you are in!

Thanks.
Hugo

Gustavo
24-Apr-2008, 12:41
Count me inn guys

Rick Olson
24-Apr-2008, 15:50
Hello Hugo,

I will be moving, then up in the bay area for a 70th birthday party for my dad. If something changes, I'll let you know ASAP.

Thanks,
Rick

Jim Fitzgerald
24-Apr-2008, 20:42
Can't make it guys, but believe it or not I have a seminar that I'm conducting at one of my accounts that weekend.

JIm

Mark Woods
24-Apr-2008, 23:27
I will be there. I looked through the postings, but didn't see a definitive start time. I think the approximate end time was 1 p.m. That should be posted when determined. I'm not clear. Are we shooting in a studio or in Tran's Uncle's back yard? Makes a difference about what I bring.

Thanks Hugo & Tran

Hugo Zhang
25-Apr-2008, 05:59
Mark,

It starts at 8:30AM and ends around 1:00PM. We tried to find a studio and I am reluctant to pay $500 for the rental fee, so we setttled with Tri's uncle's house.

See you next Sunday!
Hugo

Tri Tran
25-Apr-2008, 08:03
Mark,

It starts at 8:30AM and ends around 1:00PM. We tried to find a studio and I am reluctant to pay $500 for the rental fee, so we setttled with Tri's uncle's house.

See you next Sunday!
Hugo

Hi all,
I just talked to a friend of mine who own a studio here in Irvine ( Errol Higgins Photography). It's about 1400 sqft. I can get it for a $350 for Sunday morning from 8:30 to 1 Pm . Lightings and background are also included. First available is the May 18th. Let me know if you guys want to do this. Thanks. TT

matthew blais
25-Apr-2008, 08:08
I'm trying to get models for this and am using the 4th...so should I wait? It's only a week away for the 4th...

I'm not interested in paying for a studio.

Hugo Zhang
25-Apr-2008, 08:33
Tri,

Nobody is complaining your uncle's backyard and let's stick to it. We save the $$$ for the model.:)

Matt,

Don't change the date.:)

Gustavo
25-Apr-2008, 17:33
Hugo the day Is missing here

Hugo Zhang
25-Apr-2008, 17:38
Gustav,

May 4th, next Sunday!!!

domenico Foschi
25-Apr-2008, 17:42
It was nice talking to you MR. Zhang!

Mark Woods
25-Apr-2008, 19:25
That's okay. I'll be there.

Mark Woods
25-Apr-2008, 19:30
Yikes! My wife just pointed out that I have to be in San Pedro at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday. I think that my race was just scratched. Sorry guys..... The higher authority.

Hugo Zhang
25-Apr-2008, 20:36
What race, Mark?

Hugo Zhang
25-Apr-2008, 21:50
In order to nail down the models, we need a firm head count by Monday evening. If we have 7-8 people, we will try to have two models. Each of us will have 30-40 minutes with each model. That should be sufficient for a morning's work.:)

The backyard is said to be very private with no peeping eyes.

Hugo

Tri Tran
26-Apr-2008, 09:27
In order to nail down the models, we need a firm head count by Monday evening. If we have 7-8 people, we will try to have two models. Each of us will have 30-40 minutes with each model. That should be sufficient for a morning's work.:)

The backyard is said to be very private with no peeping eyes.

Hugo

The backyard is enclosed , walls are 7ft height and with a big 10x20 ft canopy covered.

matthew blais
26-Apr-2008, 10:01
I've booked one model as of today..
Just an FYI - Models from Model Mayhem (my source) have a rather high "flake" ratio...
All I can do is get them to agree to show up-whether they do is another story..

Note to self: Bring still life subject matter in case :)

If anyone is interested, I can bring lights (strobes/hotlights) and background stand and some cloth material, reflectors, etc. I suggest others bring props, material, whatever's.

If anyone is shooting color, I have two large rolls of background paper, red and a warm grey. If interested, let me know as otherwise I won't bring.

I'll keep hoping for another model until we get a definite head count.

Asher Kelman
26-Apr-2008, 14:30
Thanks Hugo for pointing me to this! This shootout is unique and I wouldn't want to miss out! I have known models to arrive 2 hours late! So hopefully they will show!

I have to reschedule an 11-4 pm presence at the L.A. modernism show, but I want to be included. So count me in.

I'll bring my 8x10 Chamonix and am looking forward to meeting everyone again and making new friends.

So how many do you have so far? Also how many more can the space take?

I appreciate your effort to do this. Qudos everyone for making things happen!

Asher

Mike Boden
26-Apr-2008, 14:42
Count me in!

Although I may feel like a fish out of water when it comes to photographing models, I'm still looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully learning a thing or two.

Hugo Zhang
26-Apr-2008, 15:06
Matt,

Now we have 7 confirmed.

Domenico, Gustavo, Asher, Mike, Tri, you and me.

Hugo

Songyun
26-Apr-2008, 15:09
Are you guys going to shoot nude with Tri's Majiang Table? :)

domenico Foschi
26-Apr-2008, 15:15
It's called Strip Majiang

Asher Kelman
26-Apr-2008, 15:24
Matt,

Now we have 7 confirmed.

Hugo
I seem to remember there was one guy who's Chamonix is not arriving till July.

So I called Will Thompson and he will be there too! He has a bunch of 8x10 cameras. I've asked him to bring an extra 8x10 camera. So if you do not yet have a camera, you just need film! I only have 5 new 8x10 film holders and 1 antique wooden one, LOL!

I wonder if there is a darkroom there or someone has a nice changing bag? Also if there is anyone from the Los Angeles/West Side, S.F. valley who wants a driving companion, let me know.

Asher

Mark Woods
26-Apr-2008, 15:28
My race to the Second Chamonix Shootout. :-(

Mark Woods
26-Apr-2008, 15:31
Hey Asher, too bad I won't there to say hello. I really enjoyed our conversation at the Disney.

matthew blais
26-Apr-2008, 16:16
Matt,

Now we have 7 confirmed.

Hugo

OK, with 7 that's about 35 minutes each with the model, and $18 each..If we get another model, that's an hour plus each for $36..

Ain't I good with math..

Should we book a second model and double our fun?

Hugo Zhang
26-Apr-2008, 16:32
Matt,

Asher posted that he is bringing Will who uses 8x10. So now we have 8. I will say go ahead and book another one as gorgeous as the first one.:)

matthew blais
26-Apr-2008, 17:09
Matt,

Asher posted that he is bringing Will who uses 8x10. So now we have 8. I will say go ahead and book another one as gorgeous as the first one.:)

OK...got one lined up

Asher Kelman
26-Apr-2008, 18:10
OK...got one lined up
I'll also bring an 8x10 Polaroid Processor! Anyone have spare film?

Asher

Hugo Zhang
26-Apr-2008, 18:14
Matt,

Dan is going to join us with his convertible 8x20". :)

Hugo

Mike Boden
26-Apr-2008, 18:22
I've got a changing bag that I can bring.

Asher Kelman
26-Apr-2008, 20:09
I've got a changing bag that I can bring.
That's great. What kind is it and what size does it accommodate?

Asher

Mike Boden
27-Apr-2008, 00:06
It's one of the Harrison Tents. I've loaded 8x10 in it with no problem, although it's tight.

matthew blais
27-Apr-2008, 08:56
I got an email from my craigslist ad for a model this morning..looks good for a second model at this point. I had a couple other inquiries from the model website too, and may ask one to be a back-up for later in the week in case one calls off..

So we'll have a dark haired model and a 5'9" blond curvy one...

domenico Foschi
27-Apr-2008, 08:58
Hi Matthew,
do you have any images ?
I am not picky, it helps to brew ....

matthew blais
27-Apr-2008, 09:18
Hi Matthew,
do you have any images ?
I am not picky, it helps to brew ....

Brew...that's a good phrase for it :)

Violet (confirmed) http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/violet/
Heather (unconfirmed, not very good photos)
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/heather/

edit:She did just accept (Heather) but I have my doubts so will try to get someone less diva-like then substitute

domenico Foschi
27-Apr-2008, 13:39
They look great, Matthew, thank you.
I think Heather is presently modeling for a friend of mine who is a painter.

matthew blais
27-Apr-2008, 14:07
They look great, Matthew, thank you.
I think Heather is presently modeling for a friend of mine who is a painter.

She did confirm but first went off with "I usually get $$$... an hour and am coming from San Diego.."

But I sent her links to some of our sites, told her we were struggling artists and hobbyists...she agreed, but I give her a high flake ratio..

I plan on giving them each a print (if successful) and a scan of same.

Hopefully all will at least give them a scan of any image when complete.
Even though we are paying, it is under most models fee requests. Keep them happy and there could be a next time..

Asher Kelman
27-Apr-2008, 15:25
She did confirm but first went off with "I usually get $$$... an hour and am coming from San Diego.."

But I sent her links to some of our sites, told her we were struggling artists and hobbyists...she agreed, but I give her a high flake ratio..

I plan on giving them each a print (if successful) and a scan of same.

Hopefully all will at least give them a scan of any image when complete.
Even though we are paying, it is under most models fee requests. Keep them happy and there could be a next time..
I think a 3:1 ratio of promises to reality will give us a 90% chance of one model unless they are really well paid. It's far better to end up with more than when one considers that there are 8 photographers putting aside ~6 hrs on this!

Either way it will be fun.

Asher

Hugo Zhang
27-Apr-2008, 15:31
If no models show up, we will need to play music chairs and pick two unlucky photographers and strip them and shoot them. They will be paid with prints.:)

Songyun
27-Apr-2008, 16:04
If no models show up, we will need to play music chairs and pick two unlucky photographers and strip them and shoot them. They will be paid with prints.:)

Play strip Majiang first. :D :D :D

matthew blais
27-Apr-2008, 21:36

Pressure pressure pressure...

I have another interested and lined up..gorgeous! She'll be here visiting from Hawaii for that time...

It may be to our benefit to have the other two and this one. If all three show up, then with ten of us it's still only $37.50 each...and more time with model(s)

here she is (from Model Mayhem)
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/Nitch/

Hugo Zhang
28-Apr-2008, 10:41
Matt,

Very nice!!!:)

I have just placed an order to B&H for some Kodak Portra 160NC in 5x7. I hope it can reach my door by this Friday. So can you bring your background for both B&W and color? I want to see how the color played out with my old soft focus lenses.

Thanks.
Hugo

Asher Kelman
28-Apr-2008, 14:33
Matt,

Very nice!!!:)

I have just placed an order to B&H for some Kodak Portra 160NC in 5x7. I hope it can reach my door by this Friday. So can you bring your background for both B&W and color? I want to see how the color played out with my old soft focus lenses.

Thanks.
Hugo
Hugo,

Which camera is the 5x7 film for?

asher

Hugo Zhang
28-Apr-2008, 15:06
Asher,

I have a 5x7 reducing back with my Kodak 8x10 camera.

:D :D :p

Hugo

matthew blais
30-Apr-2008, 09:57
I'll bring the roll of red paper Hugo...

Also, I have a back-up model I can call Saturday if/when one flakes:
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/darlene/ (http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/darlene/)

Hugo Zhang
30-Apr-2008, 18:38
I will ask everyone to bring something to eat or drink, not much. I will order Pizza for lunch, but I was kindly reminded that it is nice to have some snacks around for models. :) Some of them come far away and may have to skip their breakfasts to be on time.

Mike Boden
30-Apr-2008, 18:45
I will be bringing a bag of fresh, sweet tangelos from our tree in the backyard that was nearly hit when an 85 year old woman drove her car through our yard. :eek:

Other than that, I can certainly bring something else if need be. lmk

Tri Tran
30-Apr-2008, 20:08
Hi All,
If you can, I need somebody here around 8AM to help me to move some furnitures and set it up. Here's what I will bring for us to use.

1 Background support for your muslim 10x20. Please bring you background.
2 8x10 canvas background
3 Paperplates & cups & utensils.
And ofcourse a Cake for the birthday boy Domenico. Let me know what you what to put on it ;)

Thanks and keep me posted.

Thanks.

matthew blais
30-Apr-2008, 21:42
I'll bring my background stand as well, a large black drop and another cream/splotch one and my secret props :)

I'll also bring the roll of red paper backdrop and a couple reflectors and two hot lights..in case.

I'll try for 8:00 as well. I'll bring a case of bottled water too.

vinny
30-Apr-2008, 21:47
I will ask everyone to bring something to eat or drink, not much. I will order Pizza for lunch, but I was kindly reminded that it is nice to have some snacks around for models. :) Some of them come far away and may have to skip their breakfasts to be on time.

Since when do models eat?

domenico Foschi
1-May-2008, 12:59
There is no need for cake, really.:)

Mike Boden
1-May-2008, 13:46
There is no need for cake, really.:)

Oh come on...you have to have cake on your birthday. It's just not the same without one.

----

So, has somebody already offered to bring the cake?

Hugo Zhang
1-May-2008, 13:51
Mike,

See #74.:)

Mike Boden
1-May-2008, 14:13
Mike,

See #74.:)

Oh...yeah. I read that last night. DUH! :o

matthew blais
1-May-2008, 19:08
Here's a simple release I put together, with an added area for what the photographer will (or won't) offer model. Use it or your own..
Bring 3-4 copies for each of the models you may use.

Gustavo
2-May-2008, 16:54
I understand that this may not be the best place to list stuff for sale here but my local lab is getting out of the film businesses any how he is looking to sale some chemistry
Tmax RS developer $20.00 /for one litter , hypo clearing $15.00 /5lbs boxes , photo flo $10.00/16oz and there is some C41 chems too

Dan Dozer
2-May-2008, 17:04
Matt - Thanks for posting the model release. It suddenly occurred to me that we will need those. I'll also be throwing in my car my backdrop stands and three backdrops (black, white, and gray). The stands can go pretty tall and the backdrops are pretty large so we might even be able to use them to create some shade if we want it.

Dan

Tri Tran
2-May-2008, 19:21
I understand that this may not be the best place to list stuff for sale here but my local lab is getting out of the film businesses any how he is looking to sale some chemistry
Tmax RS developer $20.00 /for one litter , hypo clearing $15.00 /5lbs boxes , photo flo $10.00/16oz and there is some C41 chems too

Hi Gustavo,
I will take the Hypo clear if it has 10 bags in the box. Please confirm.Thanks.

Gustavo
2-May-2008, 20:25
Hi Tran the hypo comes in 5lbs bricks
this goes a long way one spoon to the gallon
perty much the same as EDTA

Tri Tran
2-May-2008, 20:39
Hi Tran the hypo comes in 5lbs bricks
this goes a long way one spoon to the gallon
perty much the same as EDTA

Thanks Gus, I need 15 lbs can you please get it and I will paid you on Sunday? Thanks.

matthew blais
2-May-2008, 20:52
I'll take a 5# box of hypo clear as well Gus..bring Sunday..

Looks like we'll have three backdrop stands then..plenty

matthew blais
3-May-2008, 19:07
Well, looks like we'll end up with all three models..two called (one today, one Wednesday) and the other emailed yesterday to confirm.

Flake factor only reduced to by 50% though. Tomorrow's another day.

Songyun
4-May-2008, 18:19
How is the strip majiang going?

matthew blais
4-May-2008, 18:25
Hugo lost..it wasn't pretty..

Gustavo
4-May-2008, 18:25
it was great you mist out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Songyun
4-May-2008, 18:42
Hugo lost..it wasn't pretty..
No photos no truth...:D :D :D

Gustavo
4-May-2008, 18:46
Guys you need to post your web sites or a link to your work

domenico Foschi
4-May-2008, 21:25
It was a great day.
First things first.
COngratulations and a big thank you to everybody involved in the organization of the day: Tri, Hugo and Matthew.
Tri's uncle was incredibly generous by offering his house as space.
The models were truly great.
After a while the creative juices started to flow from everybody, and the models reacted to it beautifully by opening up and forgetting the semi-rigid temperature.
In time the weather bettered somewhat due to frequent breaks in the clouds, contributing to some frustration from our side for light condition.
Yeah, we were bitching about, just like regular prima donna photographers, at least, I was...
Suddenly, Hugo, caught in the creative frenzy, without thinking and inspired by the Gods of self sacrifice offered to undress and pose for us.
We politely ignored the input as if we were in tune with each other's thoughts about it.
Hugo had already reached for a feathered boa, it was hard to put a stop to such enthusiasm and potentially stifle the new found modeling instincts of this selfless friend.

As you will see from the pictures, the all area was filled by backdrops and reflectors and tripods holding cameras of any size from my tiny speed graphic to Tri's wonderful Chamonix of roughly the size of the village bearing the same name.

We topped the day by eating chinese food at a local restaurant.
Here Asher Kelman, raptured by probably the same Gods which inhabited Hugo's very soul, produced provocative red stiletto shoes, which he wore. Our british friend started a frantic dance halfway between Flamenco and Cajun hypnotic Voodooish rithms on top of the adjacent table, astounding the crowd and making the life of the bored waiters a little more bearable.
This cheer provoking performance resulted on Soy sauce splattering all over the restaurant wall, but the little damage was well worth the classy entertainment .
We understand that the restaurant manager has hired Husher for a weekly performance at the eatery, stay tuned for dates.
As I said, a great day.
I am looking forward for the images produced by everybody.

David Karp
4-May-2008, 21:32
Happy birthday Domenico.

domenico Foschi
4-May-2008, 21:36
Happy birthday Domenico.

David, thank you.
I hope that the next time you will join us.
A great experience it was. :)

David Karp
4-May-2008, 21:41
Yes. I hope to join up next time. Photographing people is not my thing.

Today we took the kids to the Jet Propulsion Laboratory for their annual open house. I saw some photos there, but no time to make any (even with the digital p&s). The kids were on the move, so we were too!

Glad all had a good time.

Hugo Zhang
4-May-2008, 21:54
Bold smiling eyes followed the curves on the ground glasses. Curve is beauty.

Some models walked directly into Tri's 20x24" camera to make a contact prints after we explained to them why bigger was better.

I used two cameras and exposed 34 sheets of film of 7x17, 8x10 and 5x7 sizes, of course including two wasted sheets. In the throes of my excitement, I forget to close my Packard shutter before I pulled the dark slides.

Enchanted by enchanting beauties, everybody asked me: "Hugo, when are we going to do this again?"

Men, this is just like a drug. :)

I have just done two loads of Jobo. I have at least two keepers drying themselves up on my clothesline.

Tri Tran
4-May-2008, 22:09
Friends,
Thank you all for coming today and hope you got home safe and sound. It was a pleasure to meet everyone here from the LF forum .Again thanks to Hugo, Matt to coordinate all this to make it happened. Wish everyone will have a perfect negs as your wish and looking to our next shooting again. Cheers.

matthew blais
4-May-2008, 22:29
And my thanks to Tri, Uncle Phil and Hugo..Great meeting some new to me folks.

Domenico, you're recap was wonderfully put.. :)

Asher Kelman
5-May-2008, 01:25

Some models walked directly into Tri's 20x24" camera to make a contact prints after we explained to them why bigger was better.

I used two cameras and exposed 34 sheets of film of 7x17, 8x10 and 5x7 sizes, of course including two wasted sheets. In the throes of my excitement, I forget to close my Packard shutter before I pulled the dark slides.

So that's where my 8x10 film went! :) That is an amazing accomplishment! I shot much less film but did well with my Digital LF camera, disguised as a 5D.

Enchanted by enchanting beauties, everybody asked me: "Hugo, when are we going to do this again?"

What an understatement! These were the best set of 3 models I have ever seen selected for a shoot. Wow, I was so totally surprised that each one was pleasant, cooperative and were having fun yet worked hard to help us get the pictures we needed. It is so easy to be mistaken in casting and this was perfect!

Kudos Matthew Blais!

When I make a movie, you would be the one I'd choose to select and cast the fine women in the apartment building I have to fill. Now I have to write the plot!

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in such a well organized event!

Asher :)

Asher Kelman
5-May-2008, 01:25

So that's where my 8x10 film went! :) That is an amazing accomplishment! I shot much less film but did well with my Digital LF camera, disguised as a 5D.

What an understatement! These were the best set of 3 models I have ever seen selected for a shoot. Wow, I was so totally surprised that each one was pleasant, cooperative and were having fun yet worked hard to help us get the pictures we needed. It is so easy to be mistaken in casting and this was perfect!

Kudos Matthew Blais!

When I make a movie, you would be the one I'd choose to select and cast the fine women in the apartment building I have to fill. Now I have to write the plot!

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in such a well organized event!

Asher :)

Gustavo
5-May-2008, 08:08
A couple of digi pics of the event
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2468169918_3601ec63fe.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2098/2468169742_604bfbcc1a.jpg

Songyun
5-May-2008, 08:58
More photos please... I want to see Tri's Majiong table in action.

Tri Tran
5-May-2008, 16:24
More photos please... I want to see Tri's Majiong table in action.

I think you need to wait for Asher to post .He's the only one who has the DSLR beside our spare 2 megapixel soccer mom's camera. Stay tuned.

Asher, Where are you?

Asher Kelman
5-May-2008, 20:25
Sure sounds like a good time was had by all. Now about those pictures.....

There were 8 photographers and 3 models.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/2007_OPF_AK/CHAMONIX/_MG_0923_2008_05_04_Chamonix.jpg

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/2007_OPF_AK/CHAMONIX/_MG_0924_2008_05_04_Chamonix.jpg

For sure there's more to come! :)

Caesar! Beware the Ides of May!

Alex Wei
6-May-2008, 09:04
Looks like you guys had too much fun!

Hugo Zhang
8-May-2008, 15:05
It seems everybody is busy developing their negs. Domenico is the first to submit a beautiful work of the shoot. Here it is...

Hugo Zhang
9-May-2008, 22:18
OK, I have a few...

Songyun
9-May-2008, 23:27
OK, I have a few...
Hugo, good job. I like the first one best.

Hugo Zhang
9-May-2008, 23:34
Two more Nicole...

Hugo Zhang
9-May-2008, 23:37
And 7x17...

eddie
10-May-2008, 05:13
great stuff hugo! i like the 717 the best.

eddie

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 07:25
Thanks, Songyun and Eddie!

Jan Pedersen
10-May-2008, 08:41
Very nice work Hugo and Domenico. Keep them coming.

xmishx
10-May-2008, 11:22
Yes, keep them coming, Pleeze!

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 12:16
Another two of Nicole...

RDB Korn
10-May-2008, 16:26
The images of Nicole are particularly engaging - obviously the two of you worked well together.

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 16:33
RDB,

Wait till you see her pictures by other people. She is an incredible model. Thanks for the kind word.:)

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 19:16
OK - here are my first three photos of the girls (Heather, Nichole, and Violet). I'm working on one vertical 8 x 20 - will be posting soon if I can get my scanner to work with the big image.

Songyun
10-May-2008, 19:16
California is too far away, otherwise, I wish I can join you guys.

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 19:46
Here is the 8 x 20 of Violet. My scanner didn't do the greatest job on the scan - the image is much better.

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 19:50
Dan,

Very elegant! Your 8x20 is the right format for this one! The other three are quite nice too.

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 19:56
Dan this a great one!!
I think it be a good Idea to organize a workshop to do more of this kind of work !
I am thinking a maximum of 8 people and 2 or 3 models this time using hot lights in a more organize way not that this session was bad just a more systematic way .
like the ones Ruthie used to have , I may have one or 2 locations .
What do you guys think?
I will post some more info and possibilities if you are interested

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 19:59
Gustavo,

Good idea! But we want to see your pictures now. I know you have some good ones.:)

domenico Foschi
10-May-2008, 19:59
Just hot lights is a no no for me.
If we can have the option is great.

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:04
Guys I am of the believe that we should show the work to the models .They are not used to this school and I am sure they will find it rather Interesting.
here are the links to Nicole (http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=367192) andViolet (http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=279927)

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:06
I am working on it Hugo !
What is wrong with using light Domenico?

matthew blais
10-May-2008, 20:06
here are the links to Nicole (http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=367192) andViolet (http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=279927)

They won't be able to message them there ( I think) unless they member up.
We all got their contact info anyway.

Guess I better develop my negs..keep up wid' ya'll

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:08
Num nuts you can email Violet from here site :)
http://10734.imodel.com/
any how my intentions where good ...

It sounds like a song

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:09
I know we should have a BBQ at Matty;s and share the work ...
and leave a mess behind
or something like that

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:10
I know we should have a BBQ at Matties and show the work ....

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 20:12
Gustavo,

I'm all for another session and I'm sure that eveyone else will agree as well. I think that the ratio we had of 8 photograpers and 3 models worked extremely well. However, I'm not sure about using lights (I assume you mean indoors). Most of us probably don't have much if any experience in that. Unless you and Matt want to be the "teachers". William seemed to be the expert in lighting - may be he wants to lead it.

I have the lighting equipment, but I haven't used it very much so far. From what I know, photographic lighting is an art in itself - an art that I haven't learned yet.

I'm with Domenico - if we had a chance to be able to have both options, that would be great.

Dan

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:18
Thanks for the vote of confidence Dan I will love to if you guys are up to it .
You can create another world with the use of lights i said hot lights as I am not sure of what everybody's knowledge is with strobes , so I figure hot lights was best to start .
there is nothing like a dark room and you ( the photographer) playing Go... and let there be light ....

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 20:19
Gustavo - I agree completely that if we can get both Heather and Violet together for another session, it would be terrific. Giving them a chance to see what we have done and a chance to re-do some of our mistakes will be benificial to both them and us (if they can tollerate us for another session). I for one would really like to work with both of them again. I'm sure that Matt can round up another beautiful model to make three.

Looks like you're doing all the thinking and we're doing all the printing. That's fine with me - I'ld rather print than think anyway.

Thanks for the nice compliment by the way.

Dan

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:27
Dan I am working on it I should have something to show by Monday
here is another great model that Mat and I have worked with.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=326805
http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=47b071689f54e&date=2008-02-11%2011:01:46&id=2328&pid=5597989
or
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=571786

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 20:28
Dan as you know Heather lives near your office that may make it difficult for her . travel wise

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 21:10
What about Nicole? She is not around anymore?

Gustavo
10-May-2008, 21:12
Nicole = Nitch

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 21:22
Hi Hugo,

Nichole lives in Honolulu and was just visiting here. It's not likely that she would be available for another session.

Dan

domenico Foschi
10-May-2008, 21:22
I really like the other ones you have shown, Gustavo, they are terrific.
I am in, I definetly am.
From what I understand, Nitch will be back in Haway soon.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-May-2008, 21:35
Dan, nice job! I especially like the two of Violet. Great job with the 8x20. Stunning! What lens did you use for that one? The 8x10 shots are all nice and I'm assuming you used the Heilar on them?

Jim

Dan Dozer
10-May-2008, 21:43
Hi Jim,

The 8 x 10's were shot with a 360 mm Heliar and the 8 x 20 was with a 14" Dallmeyer Serac (@F5.6).

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 21:51
Guys,

Admit it, this thing is an addiction like a drug. You get high on this. Now I see why some famed older photographers mostly do nudes in pt/pd. Landscape only is not enough. Dynamic landscapes within landscapes are more challenging.:)

Jim Fitzgerald
10-May-2008, 21:51
Dan, you nailed it! Very nice look to the prints.I especially like the 8x20. Man am I pissed that I could not be there.

Jim

Hugo Zhang
10-May-2008, 21:57
"California is too far away, otherwise, I wish I can join you guys."

Hi Dude,

What's in OH? Move down here.:)

Tri Tran
10-May-2008, 22:06
Here is the 8 x 20 of Violet. My scanner didn't do the greatest job on the scan - the image is much better.

Dan, Congrat on the 8x20 shot. It's very classy. Hope we can see the print next time. Great job everyone ! Don't forget to put camera away tomorrow. Cheers.

Songyun
10-May-2008, 22:15
"California is too far away, otherwise, I wish I can join you guys."

Hi Dude,

What's in OH? Move down here.:)
Actually, I am moving to NJ. I have started packing, my thesis defense is next month.

eddie
11-May-2008, 04:34
great stuff guys!

i think you should take a trip tp NY and do it again!

how id you find the models? did you work with them before? if not what is your technique using model mayhem? what do you look for in the profile.

eddie

matthew blais
11-May-2008, 08:23
great stuff guys!

how id you find the models? did you work with them before? if not what is your technique using model mayhem? what do you look for in the profile.

eddie

I put a casting call on Model Mayhem and craigslist as well. I looked for natural models (no surgery, tattoos, piercings) , and difference between the three. In their ports I looked for comfort level and expressions. In their profile on MM it usually states if they do nudes or not. Sometimes not stated so just have to look at pics.

Gustavo
12-May-2008, 17:29
If any body is interested I will like to do a workshop on studio ,
with one camera and going over light set up and model ,composition and pose.
with round table discussion after the shooting is done .
To keep things simple and moving along only one camera will be used and all you have to bring will be film on holders and may be a lens if it can be used on the camera to be used wink wink Dan and his 360 mm Heliar and his ,with a maximum of 8 participants ( admission is first come first served reserved the right of refusal )and one really great model with tons of experience ,
before I go into too much work here I need to know who may be seriously interested !!
Location is likely to be in West San Fernando Valley.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2488252962_9aeb658cc1_m.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2487436195_02134c7d44_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/2487435857_f9f06dc1d2_m.jpg
Model may change do to schedule conflicts making a living come first

domenico Foschi
12-May-2008, 18:39
Gustavo, congratulations for the idea.
What is the fee?
And let me tell you that that model is astounding.
Just the face....
I definetly want to work with her.

Dan Dozer
12-May-2008, 19:32
Hi Gustavo,

If the time schedule works with my travels for work, I'll most likely want to participate. Let me know what day you are looking at.

Dan

Gustavo
12-May-2008, 20:03
O.K. Guys and thank you Dan and Domenico
it looks like we are looking at $150.00 per person
That includes lunch, location rent and model .
and remember that this will be by invitation only!!!!

Gustavo
12-May-2008, 20:05
Do you guys think we should start a new thread for this purpose?

Alex Wei
12-May-2008, 21:03
great stuff guys!

eddie

Eddie, I think there should be enough interests here to get things going. The model is not that hard to find in NYC and you can find plenty of studios for rent. The only issue is when do we want to do this :)

You guys on the west coast did a wonderful job. Is there any more pictures?

Gustavo
12-May-2008, 21:08
I will post the 7 X 17 as soon as they are dry

Tri Tran
12-May-2008, 22:40
Hi All,
Sorry it's been a busy week for me. How you all doing so far? Here's mine.

Hugo Zhang
13-May-2008, 06:16
Tri,

That's a 20x24". Wow! I need to see the contact print. Did she walk into your camera?

Tri Tran
13-May-2008, 08:14
Tri,

That's a 20x24". Wow! I need to see the contact print. Did she walk into your camera?

Yes !Theoretically or Virtuality.

Songyun,
This taken with the Enryscope 22 in No 6 Not the 550 XXL. Thanks to Violet for 16 sec exposure. My others 2 shots was ruined due to the motion.

Gustavo
13-May-2008, 16:08
Dan it looks like weekend leaning tours Sunday after noon !
any questions email me castilg@yahoo.com
or 818 632 2035 before 8:00 pm

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 13:40
O.K. here are the two I made on the 7 X17

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2164/2493273502_63fa87f39b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3072/2493273546_82976143fc.jpg
I shoot the prints with the digi cam for now

domenico Foschi
14-May-2008, 14:38
Gustavo, what can I say?
Beautiful, your hard work really paid off.

matthew blais
14-May-2008, 16:00
Not bad for a one eyed fat man Gus... Kidding, he has two eyes.

Hugo Zhang
14-May-2008, 16:00
Very nice, indeed, Gustavo!

Here are my last three in color. They are not good, but they were my first try with color sheet films.

Dan Dozer
14-May-2008, 16:10
Good stuff Gustavo - what process are these?

Tri Tran
14-May-2008, 16:32
Gus ,
Bravo! Very nice indeed.

Hugo,
The scan looks pixelated on my screen. Few more keepers for you :)

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 16:42
they are AU and PL as in
gold and palladium
:)
Matty kiss kiss

domenico Foschi
14-May-2008, 16:44
Gus ,
Bravo! Very nice indeed.

Hugo,
The scan looks pixelated on my screen. Few more keepers for you :)

Hugo, how many times I told you to dust off the pixels from the negatives before you insert them in the holders!:)

That Nicole sure his a star gazer.
You captured her in the shot in the middle.

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 19:00
O.K. Guys I need to know who is interested in the workshop so I can make the necessary arrangements

Hugo Zhang
14-May-2008, 19:52
Gus,

What about your original idea that we invite the two models back and get another one and show them our work and have BBQ at Matt's house?

My problem is that after learning how to use artificial lights, I won't have studios to practice what I learn and will forget everything you teach me. I learned studio lighting a few years ago with my MF camera and I forgot all I learned.

Or your idea of the other day about that 5 acres of private lands with 1/2 dozen of models.:)

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 20:06
the lights I am planing to use are not strobes it is my hope that doing it in a classroom set up will be beneficial as the idea here is to make 2 or 4 negs that are well tough out hence one camera only

Jim Fitzgerald
14-May-2008, 20:14
Gustavo, it looks like there was no need to start a separate thread after all!! I would like to be part of this. Need to know dates and times to be sure.

Jim

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 20:22
Thank you Jim !! so that is one down and seven to go !
Vinny said he may sign on

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 20:39
Dan are you Inn?

Dan Dozer
14-May-2008, 21:03
I'm in San Francisco right now and will be back home on Friday.

matthew blais
14-May-2008, 21:06
I'm in San Francisco right now and will be back home on Friday.

Party at Dan's house this Thursday...!
:p

Gustavo
14-May-2008, 21:13
yes Matt call dominos!!

Gustavo
15-May-2008, 07:57
O.K. It looks like Patty Lemke and Vinny are Inn that makes it 3 and waiting on Dan so
lets call it 4 /8 so make up your mind and let me know

Gustavo
15-May-2008, 16:36
O.K. June 29th at ViVa gallery (http://www.vivagallery.org/)
In Sherman Oaks from noon to 5:00

13261 Moorpark Street
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
(818) 385-0080

Asher Kelman
15-May-2008, 17:21
O.K. June 29th at ViVa gallery (http://www.vivagallery.org/)
In Sherman Oaks from noon to 5:00

13261 Moorpark Street
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
(818) 385-0080

Hi Gustavo,

What are the details? Which models, how much do they cost? What other expenses do you see. I'd like you to include me.

What camera? Does it take a Sinar lensboard as I want to see the effect of the Cooke PS945.

Asher

Asher Kelman
15-May-2008, 21:01
So who is definitely in?

How many max?

When you say 3-4 pics, is that per person?

Thanks,

Asher

Dan Dozer
15-May-2008, 21:31
Gustavo,

Just got home from SF. Count me in for the workshop.

By the way, does anyone know why I came home to find all the empty bottles by the curb and dorito crumbs behind the couch cushions? My wife says she has no idea how they got there.

Dan

matthew blais
15-May-2008, 21:33
Gustavo,

Just got home from SF. Count me in for the workshop.

By the way, does anyone know why I came home to find all the empty bottles by the curb and dorito crumbs behind the couch cushions? My wife says she has no idea how they got there.

Dan

(burp..) No idea Dan...no idea

Dan Dozer
16-May-2008, 08:45
O.K. - I got my wife to confess. She wouldn't tell me much - said her recollection was kind of foggy. She did say she vaguely remembers something about a big guy wearing a coconut bra and grass skirt yelling something like Ole! Ole! - - - - - - That image is kind of scary.

Then she asked me when my next business trip was.

domenico Foschi
16-May-2008, 09:35
O.K. - I got my wife to confess. She wouldn't tell me much - said her recollection was kind of foggy. She did say she vaguely remembers something about a big guy wearing a coconut bra and grass skirt yelling something like Ole! Ole! - - - - - - That image is kind of scary.

Then she asked me when my next business trip was.

Hugo or Asher...

Dan Dozer
16-May-2008, 15:33
I know that she said something about a foreigner. However, I do know that it wasn't Italian so you're in the clear - I think it was a tall Spaniard.

matthew blais
21-May-2008, 21:31
I finally started messing with my few negs..untoned as yet
http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/nicole.jpg

Hugo Zhang
22-May-2008, 05:49
That's a very nice one with an interesting expression on her face! I even like where you put her hands, quite unusual.:)

matthew blais
25-May-2008, 10:15
Violet 8x10 contact proof. Verito F11

http://www.matthewblaisphotography.com/violet.jpg

Asher Kelman
25-May-2008, 11:24
Matthew,

I like that picture of Violet. In these shoots we need to have someone at a desk doing the time allocation! Still we all had great fun.

Asher

Gustavo
16-Jul-2008, 14:00
I am planing another workshop !
Figure workshop Description:
“We will be working with one camera, 8 x 10 film and one .
All materials provided for your convenience thanks to the support of
Freesyle photo supplies.
The focus of the workshop is working with models and figure design for
those with minimum figure experience .
Hot lights will be used so that we can work with shadows and highlight and
enhancing form.”
5 people maximum !!! $150.00 per person
To sign up or if you want more information please go here

Images from last workshop:

http://gcastilla.com/Gustavo_Castilla_Images/workshop_images/2659412862_a69bac5a23_m.jpg
http://gcastilla.com/Gustavo_Castilla_Images/workshop_images/Jim.jpg

Gustavo
17-Jul-2008, 16:10
Hugo are you all better?