PDA

View Full Version : Below the Lens Filter Holder for 8x10 Enlarging

ic-racer
29-Feb-2008, 14:07
So, I have realized Durst did not make a below the lens filter holder (and I don't want to destroy my VALPA's red filter) so I am checking out other options.

I noticed some nice OMEGA below the lens filter holders from KHB. I checked the Omega "F" part list and it seems indicate #429-029 (below the lens filter holder) is an accessory for the "F" enlarger (8x10) but KHB indicated to me in an e-mail that this #429-029 is TOO SMALL to use with 8x10.

So, I was wondering if any of the "F" users out there have this filter holder.

Also, if anyone could post a picture of thier custom under the lens holder, that would be great. I have seen a nice custom one on John Powers Durst.

I certainly enjoy making stuff, but I like buying stuff already made even more (assumimng its perfect for the task) :)

Sandeha
29-Feb-2008, 14:16
Don't know if this helps ...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/Sandeha/lighting/IMGP4205_copy.jpg

Just a tray on a swivel rod that clips on the lens holder.

lenser
29-Feb-2008, 15:07
Kodak used to make a complete set of polycontrast filters (about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) that included a a three point screw down tray that attached around the barrel of the enlarging lens. It could hold at least two and I think three of their filters if you needed to combine them for strength.

Depending on the diameter of your lens, this might work for you. ebay would be the only source I would know to find one of these oldies, but they worked darned well on my old 4x5 Omega with a pretty large lens.

Good luck in your search.

Tim

ic-racer
29-Feb-2008, 17:23
Kodak used to make a complete set of polycontrast filters (about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2) that included a a three point screw down tray that attached around the barrel of the enlarging lens. It could hold at least two and I think three of their filters if you needed to combine them for strength.

Depending on the diameter of your lens, this might work for you. ebay would be the only source I would know to find one of these oldies, but they worked darned well on my old 4x5 Omega with a pretty large lens.

Good luck in your search.

Tim

I have seen those, but I think (without trying them) that they will be too small. The "light circle" under my 300mm lens is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

ic-racer
29-Feb-2008, 17:24
Don't know if this helps ...

Just a tray on a swivel rod that clips on the lens holder.

That's excellent. Thanks for posting.

Clueless Winddancing
29-Feb-2008, 20:01
Isn't there a knerled screw at the bottom of the "red" (no exposure) filter's shaft? That would allow it to be removed and the "Latrid" filter wheel to be mounted in its place.

Maretzo
29-Feb-2008, 20:28
It should not be allowed.
The LF will be flooded by any kind of vendors for any kind of items. Very difficult to find real LF items, which is the purpose of this LFF, right?

ic-racer
1-Mar-2008, 08:42
Isn't there a knerled screw at the bottom of the "red" (no exposure) filter's shaft? That would allow it to be removed and the "Latrid" filter wheel to be mounted in its place.

Ok, the Latrid is new to me. I will have to look into it. This could be the answer!

Hmm, a google search of 'Latrid' AND 'Durst' only gets me back to this page :(

I did find this Latrid, the Latris lineata, but nothing for an enlarger

ic-racer
1-Mar-2008, 09:17
Here is an interesting wheel I found. Size is not given, but I suspect it is too small for 8x10.

Herb Cunningham
4-Mar-2008, 11:44
I had a Lee filter hood I was not using, and cut down some Kodak filters to fit lee frames, the whole thing is very expensive, and I would not do it if I had not already had the parts, but you can get the rubber band thingy from Lee and then mount the filters in 4x4 frames, B&H sells a pack of those for about $20, and the Lee lens mounting thingy is also fairly cheap, and there you are. The filter drawer idea mentioned above is also good, if you have a place to screw in the rod that holds it.

ic-racer
4-Mar-2008, 12:23
I had a Lee filter hood I was not using, and cut down some Kodak filters to fit lee frames, the whole thing is very expensive, and I would not do it if I had not already had the parts, but you can get the rubber band thingy from Lee and then mount the filters in 4x4 frames, B&H sells a pack of those for about $20, and the Lee lens mounting thingy is also fairly cheap, and there you are. The filter drawer idea mentioned above is also good, if you have a place to screw in the rod that holds it.

I'll check these thing out on B&H.