PDA

View Full Version : A Gathering in New Hampshire

Ted Harris
28-Feb-2008, 20:38
Gary Samson and I are organizing a gathering for large format photographers at my place on Saturday, April 19th. Fleshing out the plans now but figure on early afternoon 'till you want to leave. We'll have chow, plenty of opportunities to shoot, both in the woods and the studio. We'll also be able to do some scanning and printing.

Richard Ritter will have some of his cameras here, I'll have my usual collection and I hope Gary will bring his 12x20.

Let me hear from everyone who's interested. I'll be sending out an email next week.

Looking forward to a great gathering.

Michael Graves
29-Feb-2008, 06:53
A bit in advance for me, but I'm pretty sure I can make it. Put me down. The wife will probably want to come too. She shoots with a Speed Graphic.

tim810
29-Feb-2008, 07:08
I would love to come and bring my 12x20. But the 19th of Apr I have a wedding in Baltimore to attend (lots of trouble if I don't show up). Any other weekend would work. Do you arrange these outtings often? I am very interested! Oh,
and what area of NH do you normaly meet?

Tim Trombley

bsimison
29-Feb-2008, 07:08
I would, but unfortunately I'm going to be shooting in southern Utah then. Have a good time.

Ken Lee
29-Feb-2008, 08:35
Count me in !

Ted Harris
29-Feb-2008, 08:46
Ken, great!!!

eddie
1-Mar-2008, 04:57
ooooohhhh! i am in. sounds like a blast. i will see if i can bring others.

eddie

Ted Harris
1-Mar-2008, 07:46
I'm delighted at the response so far. Counting those that have responded here and by email and some others who aren't participants on the Forum it looks like we are already at 10+ and still counting. The more the merrier.

John Bowen
1-Mar-2008, 08:06
Ted,

I wish I could attend, but the trip is just a tad too far for one day of shooting. I hope to catch up with y'all later in the spring...

Everybody have fun!!!

wfwhitaker
1-Mar-2008, 08:11
Where in NH is this? I hope it's the warm part...

Michael Graves
1-Mar-2008, 08:14
Warm part? In New Hampshire?

Shirley....you jest! Oh wait. Your name's Will.

Toyon
1-Mar-2008, 08:14
Is this event for hypertrophic cameras only?

Ken Lee
1-Mar-2008, 09:03
Is this event for hypertrophic cameras only?

Actually, these so-called Large Format cameras are normal-sized.

The cameras so popular these days, suffer from hypotropism. ;)

Toyon
1-Mar-2008, 09:10
Hey Ken, I'm talking about the cameras that use film larger than the photographer's head.

Actually, these so-called Large Format cameras are normal-sized.

The cameras so popular these days, suffer from hypotropism. ;)

Michael Alpert
1-Mar-2008, 09:34
Ted,

Thank you for this opportunity. I am interested in attending. I live in central Maine. Where (in what town) will the gathering be held?

Ted Harris
1-Mar-2008, 10:28
Michael,

The gathering will be in Enfield, NH. About 2 hours from Freyburg (depending on traffic or snow/ice on the Kanc) or the same from Portland (different route of course :)). Our property is about 800 feet up the side of a mountain with lots of woods, a stream, and two clearings. Nothing but more woods and a couple of lakes a medium hike away. We are surrounded by State Conservation land for the most part.

eddie
1-Mar-2008, 11:50
hey ted,

can we camp on the state land? do we need permits?

thanks

eddie

Flexnib
15-Mar-2008, 21:57
Ted,
Sounds like a great day. Please count me in.
Arthur,NYC

Ted Harris
16-Mar-2008, 05:40
Thanks Arthur,

We are now at around 16.

Ted Harris
24-Mar-2008, 06:47
Hi all,

Now that we are inside of a month I'm going to start sending out some details via email. I'll till make some pots here but the good stuff (directions, who is coming, timing, etc.) will only be in the emails.

So far, we've got 19 confirmed and 4 'maybes.' At least two are coming up Friday night and we'll go to dinner. Most folks coming from NH and VT but the confirmed list also includes folks from MA, NY and ME.

So, if you are interested, please send me an email so you can keep in touch.

fuegocito
26-Mar-2008, 20:42
Hi Ted,

Just confirmed it with the Ms and I am good to show. Just a thought, will there be a little show and tell sort of thing, maybe no more than 5 prints each or something like it.

Robert in MA

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2008, 07:11
Thanks to all who came yesterday. A grand time was had by all. We had over thirty folks. Gary Samson took a 12x20 group shot late in the day. Richard Ritter had his 7x17 and 8x10 on display. John Layton had his latest prototype to look at ... and his great pizzas. Of course, there were also all manner of other cameras around from a Chamonix 4x5 to Hany's Phillips Compact I. Lots of shooting, some scanning, good food and good company. Some beautiful prints on display (thanks Paul Wainwright, Ken Lee, Michael Graves and others ... and thanks to Bruce Barlow for the print racks). Special thanks to Michael Alpert for copies of his beautiful book.

Gary and I really enjoyed ourselves and know ya'll did too. It was a wonderful gathering. Final and special thanks to Amy who kept the food and drink flowing, made the yummy pasta and Brownies. We'll do it again.

Bruce Barlow
20-Apr-2008, 08:48
I was s'posed to bring Brownies, but my dog ate them while I was in the shower. A whole new meaning to "Chocolate Lab," which he happens to be without snacking on forbidden items. Fortunately, he seems none the worse for wear except for a bulge in his belly and a sugar buzz.

So, yeah, Jorge, I was a little grumpy, because I wasn't sure if I was going to come home to a dead dog poisoned by chocolate. Good news so far, though.

His nickname used to be "Bonehead," but I think that's changed to "Ironbelly."

A fun gathering, and great to link faces to names I see here. Special thanks to Ted's wife Amy for all her hard work, tasty chow, and good cheer.

Ken Lee
20-Apr-2008, 08:49
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/TedHarris.jpg

Great location, great weather, great hosts !

Bruce Barlow
20-Apr-2008, 12:26
Hey, Ken, that sorta looks like Ted...

Ted Harris
20-Apr-2008, 12:40
And, gulp, focusing a Rollei.

Ken Lee
20-Apr-2008, 15:02
You mean that's not a View Camera ?

Oh... I thought Rollei managed to squeeze a complete 20x24 rig inside that thing !

wfwhitaker
23-Apr-2008, 09:30
...Gary Samson took a 12x20 group shot late in the day...

Gary,

Hope you'll post a scan of that image when you get it done. Sure would like to see it. Bet some other folks would, too.

ASRafferty
26-Apr-2008, 06:23
Attached is FYI... please feel free to share as appropriate.

Thanks,
Amy

Ted Harris (1942-2008)

(Attached photos by Ken Lee – April 19, 2008)

A time for family and friends
to remember and celebrate Ted
will be held at our home,
920 NH Route 4A, Enfield, NH,
on Saturday, May 17, 2008, at noon.

Please send RSVP’s, questions, calls for help on logistics, etc., to Amy at tedharris@mac.com, or call 603-632-9193.

Directions: Take I89 to Exit 17, and follow 4 East toward Enfield to the junction of Routes 4 and 4A. Take the right fork onto 4A South and drive along Lake Mascoma for about 4.5 miles. At about 2 miles, you will see the LaSalette Shrine on your right and the Shaker Village on your left. Next major milestone is a big red barn on your right (sometimes sheep grazing out back). 50 yards past the barn is dirt road/driveway. “920” is nailed to a tree and there is a road sign for the next intersection and a boat put-in sign (if you hit Shaker Hill Road on your left, back up 100 feet). Turn right into the driveway and take the immediate left fork winding up the hill. You'll see the house and barn as you get around the last turn.

Donations in Ted’s memory would be appreciated in lieu of flowers.

ASRafferty
25-Jul-2008, 08:03
I had the opportunity to post this on APUG this morning in connection with a "New England" post over there, and thought I'd do the same here:

I'm posting to ask the folks here in New England if they would come visit our place in Enfield again to see and inspect the equipment for sale from his collection, and buy what they can use. It has to be sold, and I'm thinking of doing a weekend "open house" for the purpose, sometime in late August or early September, after I put the list "out there" in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

I know Ted would be happy knowing that his New England colleagues had the chance to see and consider buying it and putting it back into use... and he was always happy having people here talking about photography, so somehow this feels fitting and useful all the way around.

Any thoughts among our New England friends?

Thanks,
Amy

bsimison
25-Jul-2008, 08:08
Hi Amy,

I'm over in Middlebury, VT and would be happy to attend an open house.

-Brett