PDA

View Full Version : Dektol and D-72

blevblev
28-Feb-2008, 14:13
Do Dektol and D-72 have the same formulation? I see many references to D-72 but it seems like you have to mix it up from the raw chemicals. Then I see references to how Dektol is essentially D-72. Is that correct?

BradS
28-Feb-2008, 14:48
Yes, it is true. D-72 is no longer availble in pre-packaged form (at least not from EK).

Since the actual chemical makeup of packaged Dektol is proprietary and confidential we can really only speculate whether or not the published D-72 formula is in fact what is in the Dektol package. The available literature does indicate that Dektol is the packaged form of D-72. That may mean that the two are essentially the same except for 'secret stuff' kodak adds to Dektol package to make sure it works with tap water for example.

It may be the case that the two are identical.

I do know that D-72 works like and produces results that are indistinguishable from packaged Dektol.

Alan Rabe
28-Feb-2008, 16:05
Calumet sells Zone VI print developer which is in fact Dektol. It is actaully better in that it has the metol in a seperate little bag that is mixed in at the time you mix the bag up. This makes it's shelf life in the bag pretty much forever.

Gene McCluney
28-Feb-2008, 18:34
DEKTOL has some proprietary ingrediences, buffers-if you will, that help extend its mixed life, and also guard against imperfect water supplies (tap water) you would use to mix up the solution. Almost all prepared chemicals, either dry powder or liquid concentrate will differ slightly in the buffering compounds as compared to home-prepared versions.

blevblev
28-Feb-2008, 21:22
Calumet sells Zone VI print developer which is in fact Dektol.

I already had some Zone VI, and I went and bought Dektol. Oh well, live and learn.

Maybe I'm being silly, but I was interested in the D-72 because some of the documentation in the DarkroomAutomation enlarging meter had exposure times already worked out at different contrasts for Ilford MGIV and D-72. I figured I could get ahead by using what they used. It turns out I had to start with a step wedge again anyway.

My results with that combination seem to be very contrasty. At 2 minutes @ 68 degrees, my grade 2 looks like 3 and my 1 looks like 2. What am I doing wrong?

BradS
28-Feb-2008, 21:45
Calumet sells Zone VI print developer which is in fact Dektol. It is actaully better in that it has the metol in a seperate little bag that is mixed in at the time you mix the bag up. This makes it's shelf life in the bag pretty much forever.

Well, maybe...It might also be that some of the secret stuff in Kodak's Dektol eliminates the need for such packaging. Dektol in the unopened package lasts quite indefinitely too.

cotdt
28-Feb-2008, 23:55
Bah... even diluted Dektol 1:2 solution seems to last months.