PDA

View Full Version : SCHNEIDER GOTTINGEN 125mm f2 XENON

Miguel Coquis
28-Feb-2008, 12:27
I've been trying to find data for this lenses and have not find much. Vintage Schneider site only mentions the existence of the 40 mm and 50 mm f:1,9. Do anybody have some detailed information for the SCHNEIDER GOTTINGEN 125mm f2 XENON BARREL LENS AERIAL ?
Thanks for your help,
Miguel

Peter K
28-Feb-2008, 13:45
Lenses made in the branch of Schneider in Goettingen where normaly marked with "ISCO" (I osef SC hneider O ptik).

The Xenon 1:2 was made for use with TV-cameras and copiers in different focal lengths.

Dan Fromm
28-Feb-2008, 14:35
Guys, the 125/2 Schneider Goettingen (I've held one in my hands, that was what it was engraved) is an aerial camera lens made for the Volk Handkammer. It shot nominal 6x6 on, IIRC, 70 mm film.

Serial numbers seem to be in the ISCO sequence, not the Schneider Kreuznach sequence. The one I held was 616xxx (not being cute, can't remember the last three digits) and was coated. All of the ones I've seen on eBay have had s/n = 60,000 or so and were uncoated.

Miguel, if the price is right just buy the damned thing and ask it how good it is.

Peter K
28-Feb-2008, 17:18
Coated lenses not made by Zeiss are made after 1945 because coating was a Zeiss patent. At http://www.novacon.com.br /odditycameras/GXN.htm (http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/GXN.htm) one can see a Xenon mounted in an arial camera and the connection between this lens, Hasselblad and the Kiev cameras.

Ole Tjugen
29-Feb-2008, 00:40
Coated lenses not made by Zeiss are made after 1945 because coating was a Zeiss patent. ...

That's odd - I've got a Schneider Göttingen Aero-Xenar 50cm f:5.5, with a serial number dating it to 1943. It is coated.

Incidentally neither Schneider Kreuznach nor ISCO have any information about my Aero-Xenar at all, except that the serial number fits with 1943 in the ISCO sequence, and that ISCO made it.

Peter K
29-Feb-2008, 02:20
Lens coating was a secret war patent so it's possible lenses made for aerial cameras and other military stuff where coated also when not made by Zeiss.

Peter K
29-Feb-2008, 10:42
Lens coating was a secret war patent so it's possible lenses made for aerial cameras and other military stuff where coated also when not made by Zeiss.
That's possibly the reason this lens was made in Goettingen and not as other Xenons in Bad Kreuznach, so the lenses could be coated at the Winkel factory, a branch of Zeiss in Goettingen.

Dan Fromm
29-Feb-2008, 13:32
Fellows, Ole's Aero Xenar notwithstanding, I've seen perhaps half a dozen WWII vintage 125/2 Xenons on eBay. Each of the sellers claimed his lens was uncoated. The VM reports severeal more, all uncoated.

There's maybe and perhaps, there's wishful thinking, and then there's data. The data should win. If you think 125/2 Xenons were coated during WWII, bring forward a coated 125/2 Xenon of that vintage.

Hollis
29-Feb-2008, 20:28
Damn Miguel, you must have been the one outbidding me on this lens. Let me know how it shoots, especially wide open.

Miguel Coquis
26-Mar-2008, 09:01
Damn Miguel, you must have been the one outbidding me on this lens. Let me know how it shoots, especially wide open.

Hi Hollis, it was pretty long to recover the lens from duties here in France.
I will post pics very soon !!!:-)
... wide open, for sure !

Misha
15-Oct-2008, 14:17
Dear friends who know something about SCHNEIDER GOTTINGEN 125mm f2 XENON! I have by chance one with serial number 8981, which, according to the reference table on SHNEIDER OPTICS site, dates it back somewhere before 1918. Could someone give me any idea how much such lense may cost? I am considering selling it but have no clue about the magnitude of the price. Thank you for you hints!

Dan Fromm
15-Oct-2008, 15:31
Misha, the lens serial number is in the ISCO s/n sequence, not the Schneider Kreuznach s/n sequence. The two are very different. ISCO is another way of saying Schneider Goettingen.

They seem to bring at most a couple of hundred $US on eBay.com. Uncoated, so possibly flary, and really for 6x6. I don't know what yours is like, many of the ones offered seem in poor condition.

Sevo
15-Oct-2008, 15:35
ISCO/Schneider Göttingen used a entirely separate serials sequence, starting with their split-off around 1936, so you can as well forget about Schneider Kreuznach serials.

Misha
18-Oct-2008, 10:51
Thank you very much, Dan and Sevo. That clarifies my confusion, as the looks of the lense that I have would hardly suggest that it dates back to early XX century... :)

Miguel Coquis
22-Oct-2008, 06:07
Dear friends who know something about SCHNEIDER GOTTINGEN 125mm f2 XENON! I have by chance one with serial number 8981, which, according to the reference table on SHNEIDER OPTICS site, dates it back somewhere before 1918. Could someone give me any idea how much such lense may cost? I am considering selling it but have no clue about the magnitude of the price. Thank you for you hints!

Hello Misha, I just read your message inquiring about SCHNEIDER GOTTINGEN 125mm f2 XENON
The one I have is n°54712 and is coated. It covers 6x6 cm although I mount it on a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 speed graphic. It is heavy for hand held, but one gets use to it. It is very pleasant for night exposures and incredible sharp for portraits (a little bit to much sharp says my spouse !). I have also mount it on a field camera and is great to work with camera movs keeping lens wide open.
Have you found any buyers ?
Best regards,
Miguel

renes
16-Jun-2010, 04:12
I have one with serial no. 41719 and it's in great shape. I hoped to use it but my Bergheil 6x9 is too small for it. Soon it will come into LFP sale offer.

lummer
10-Aug-2010, 16:55
regarding the Schneider Gottingen 125mm f/2.0 xenon. does anyone have some images showing the close up character of the lens ?

particularly interested in portraits and the background or lack thereof of background / DOF character.

thank you !

do all the lenses cover 4x5 ? ample w/ movements ?

Dan Fromm
11-Aug-2010, 02:54
lummer, these lenses were made for an aerial camera that shot nominal 6x6 on 70 mm film. This should be a strong hint about coverage.

renes
18-Aug-2010, 13:07
http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/GXN.htm

bwrightphoto
24-Jun-2011, 01:32
I am interested to find out what camera(s) anyone has shot the xenon on? I am planning on purchasing one and adapting it onto a rollei sl66 which has a lens mount opening of 76mm and a distance from the mount to the film plane of 103mm and am trying to figure out if it is possible to fit it on/in it. Any input/experience would be much appreciated.