PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 4x5 on ebay !?!?!

davidb
27-Feb-2008, 12:04
So who is selling their camera already?

here is the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Chamonix-4x5-Field-Camera_W0QQitemZ200203609537QQihZ010QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Obviously it is not me.

BarryS
27-Feb-2008, 12:14
It had to happen sooner or later. I wonder what it'll go for? $1000?

Aender Brepsom
27-Feb-2008, 12:24
I hope (and believe) that he will get more than what he paid for it, sort of consolation for parting with such a beautiful camera.

Michael Graves
27-Feb-2008, 12:32
Don't know. But it makes me wonder where my tax return is.

davidb
27-Feb-2008, 14:19
well.....two bids and the reserve has been met at $650

Ron Bose
27-Feb-2008, 16:01
Not mine !
Although I did end up giving it to my girlfriend for Christmas ...

Aahx
27-Feb-2008, 17:14
Not I .. I just ordered mine through Hugo two weeks ago. But i am fine with the wait.

Turner Reich
27-Feb-2008, 18:23
Is there a quick release for the lead screw focus?

BarryS
27-Feb-2008, 18:44
Is there a quick release for the lead screw focus?

If you're asking about a quick release that enables you to slide the extension over the base without using the worm drive--the answer is no. In practice the gear ratio makes adjustment fairly quick, but with more than enough fine control for focus--12mm per 360 degrees of rotation.

Turner Reich
27-Feb-2008, 21:20
Yes that's what I was asking, the lead screw looks like it would be fairly quick, I know that a lead screw block is available that would unlock the screw for a quick release. It looks like a very nice camera. The micro slides provide a very accurate movement with extremely close tolerances. I was thinking of using them long before I saw the Chamonix, it's good to see someone use them.

I'm not sure how the back works, it appears to rotate around one the legs, does everything come loose or is it easy to keep movements?

One of the problems with the Shen Hao is that it takes time to rack it out and the rack and pinion is stiff and hard on the fingers and wrist.

eddie
28-Feb-2008, 05:30
It had to happen sooner or later. I wonder what it'll go for? $1000?

if it does mine may be for sale shortly after that! :)

eddie

BarryS
28-Feb-2008, 05:41
I'm not sure how the back works, it appears to rotate around one the legs, does everything come loose or is it easy to keep movements?

One of the problems with the Shen Hao is that it takes time to rack it out and the rack and pinion is stiff and hard on the fingers and wrist.

The back folds and tilts at the base. There are some inset metal detents that slide out that allow the back to be zeroed for tilt very quickly and easily. Racking the focus is not an issue with the Chamonix. The screw drive is precise enough to offer the perfect amount of resistance. When you initially attach the front standard to the extension base, the screw hole you choose gets you pretty close to the optimal focus range, so although it takes a second to screw the standard in--you don't spend much time racking in or out.

@Eddie-- It would take more than a couple of hundred bucks profit to get me to miss this Spring with my Chamonix. :)

gilevans
1-Mar-2008, 09:33
Excuse my ignorance, but I just discovered this camera today...and it looks gorgeous. What does it sell for new?

Rafael Garcia
1-Mar-2008, 15:28
Excuse my ignorance, but I just discovered this camera today...and it looks gorgeous. What does it sell for new?Around $600.00 with a six month wait... I'm waiting for mine in June.

Ted Harris
1-Mar-2008, 16:02
$730 is the current US price ... plus shipping.

walter23
1-Mar-2008, 18:16

You just have to grease it up. Mine's got some kind of waxy lubricant on it (came that way from Badger Graphic) and it's not at all stiff, fine control is very easy and it's not hard on the hands, even in extreme cold (my first ever outing with it was in -30C!). Maybe ask Jeff at badger what he would recommend to lube it.

Rafael Garcia
2-Mar-2008, 20:32
$730 is the current US price ... plus shipping.

Was $600.00 in December... oh how the dollar has fallen!

BarryS
2-Mar-2008, 20:54
Was $600.00 in December... oh how the dollar has fallen!

It was $699 in December. The price has only increased by a small amount.

Songyun
2-Mar-2008, 21:46

1:7.11 now

audioexcels
3-Mar-2008, 00:02

What did the camera cost when it first came out and everyone placed their orders?

Incredible that these people want a used camera and pay more for it.

davidb
3-Mar-2008, 00:09
as far as I know, everyone paid $699 plus $75 for shipping.

oh yeah...the paypal fee too.

Aahx
3-Mar-2008, 15:54
When I ordered mine and payed on the 20th Feb it was $821.00 total.. but that includes shipping and paypal. The dollar still dropping in value is making an impact. Though the bids for the ebayed one are allready above what I payed. The seller may just make a nifty proffit off someone too impatient to wait for a factory one. With 2 more days, I expect the bidding will climb further.. especialy in the last minute of bidding. Heh.. my Nikor 90 F4.5 I picked up in January went up $400.00 in the last minute of bidding. I can just imagine how this camera will climb. I may just watch the last minute bidding for entertainment value.

eddie
3-Mar-2008, 16:19
What did the camera cost when it first came out and everyone placed their orders?

Incredible that these people want a used camera and pay more for it.

man! i my have to sell mine! seems they are like a fine wine....it gets better and more expensive!

i knew i should have bought two of these last dec.! damn! damn! damn!

Jim Galli
3-Mar-2008, 16:47
Anyone that has had the pleasure of seeing one up close will immediately see that the intrinsic value is far above the factory asking price. Chamonix wanted to create some excitement for their products by making the price point on the 4X5 much lower in comparison to the larger cameras they sell. Everyone sort of knows it can't last. They're getting their name firmly in the marketplace and then my guess is these will go up closer in ratio to the large cameras. Just a guess. I look at mine and $1300 seems perhaps more like it. It was nice to get in on the ground floor for once. Mine won't be sold anytime while I'm breathing. :cool:

roteague
3-Mar-2008, 19:34
Mine won't be sold anytime while I'm breathing. :cool:

Amen...... Mine is a lovely camera; I was just shooting with it yesterday. It isn't as fast to setup as my old Toyo, but is a joy to use just about every other way - and a joy to carry, it is so light.

Don Hutton
3-Mar-2008, 19:47
I'll second what Jim said. It really is all the 4x5 I need. I don't see anything else on the market for under $2000 which I'd rather own.

davidb
3-Mar-2008, 19:49
I've sold the canham and I've sold the Toyo.

The Chamonix is that good.

More importantly, it fits my needs.

PBrooks
3-Mar-2008, 20:55
Boy ain't this a turn around from a year ago!!!!!
Personally I'm glad I made the choice.

Alan Rabe
4-Mar-2008, 05:45
It's up to $829 now.

davidb
5-Mar-2008, 11:14
The auction just ended...

$1325

WOW !!

I suspect we might see one or two more pop up now

fuegocito
5-Mar-2008, 11:17
Does this tempt and prompt a few to sell their beloved:-)

This just show how business minded I am not, as I could have easily pick up a few of this last year while traveling in China:-)

Jim Galli
5-Mar-2008, 11:34
The buyer must have read my post. Mine still aint for sale. :D:D

John Bowen
5-Mar-2008, 11:44
there is currently no record of this auction on Ebay.....???

caughtthought
5-Mar-2008, 11:53
I am the seller. I just got this from ebay. How frustrating.

The results of the following listing(s) have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization:

200203609537 Chamonix 4x5 Field Camera

We have cancelled the listing(s) to maintain the integrity of the eBay site, your account, and the bidder?s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, all fees resulting from the listings in question will be credited to your account within 7 days. If you do not see the credits posted to your account after 7 days, please feel free to contact us through ?Contact Us? in our Help section.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to automatically relist these items for you. Instead, to relist these items you will need to start from the beginning of the listing process, either through the "Sell Your Item" process or through your third party listing service. We know that this is an inconvenience and we apologize for the negative impact it may cause you. We are working on tools to allow you to relist your items without starting from the beginning, but they are not available at this time.

Do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If there are issues that have not been addressed by this message, you can contact us by clicking the "Help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and selecting "Contact Us" from the menu on the left hand side of the page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

davidb
5-Mar-2008, 13:23
What!!!!

That sucks.

caughtthought
5-Mar-2008, 13:37
I've ended up accepting a private party offer on the camera, which has saved me from a fit of rage.

The auction was targeted by some fraudsters. I don't know if they were intentionally trying to get the auction canceled or not, but just after it was canceled they sent me a well-disguised phishing email ("confirm that this is the auction blahblahblah") that contained a link that redirected through a real ebay redirection page, that sent me to a fake ebay login page. It almost worked, in the heat of the moment I was starved for information about what went wrong with the auction and I almost put my credentials in the form. I work with the internet for a living, I'm sure many slightly less 'net savvy folks would have fallen into the scheme, it was one of the better ones that I have seen.

davidb
5-Mar-2008, 13:40
Can you tell us how much you sold it for?

Also, are you shipping it out of the USA?

fuegocito
5-Mar-2008, 13:45
I've ended up accepting a private party offer on the camera, which has saved me from a fit of rage.

The auction was targeted by some fraudsters. I don't know if they were intentionally trying to get the auction canceled or not, but just after it was canceled they sent me a well-disguised phishing email ("confirm that this is the auction blahblahblah") that contained a link that redirected through a real ebay redirection page, that sent me to a fake ebay login page. It almost worked, in the heat of the moment I was starved for information about what went wrong with the auction and I almost put my credentials in the form. I work with the internet for a living, I'm sure many slightly less 'net savvy folks would have fallen into the scheme, it was one of the better ones that I have seen.

Wow, that is scary. At which point and how did you figure out it, it may be useful to those who are very amateur net user like me.

Robert

Michael Graves
5-Mar-2008, 13:57
Wow, that is scary. At which point and how did you figure out it, it may be useful to those who are very amateur net user like me.

Robert

The key to responding to ANYTHING reputed to come from Ebay is to go to My Ebay and see if the message is there as well. If it ain't.....it ain't legitimate. Respond from within ebay.

caughtthought
5-Mar-2008, 14:09
Michael's advice is very good. Any communication through ebay either from ebay themselves or from another user will show up in the My Messages section. If you only respond to ebay-related items and make sure not to uncheck the "hide my email address" field, you should be safe as far as messages go.

In this case it was a little tricky, because the link that I clicked on that took me to the phishing site was a real ebay link- I checked before I clicked on it. They were using an ebay page to redirect to a different website that was a mock-up of the ebay login page. Of course, I had just been refreshing my auction page repeatedly to watch the last minutes of the auction, so it was a big red flag to get the login page. I am in the habit of always looking at the URL of the page that I am logging into for any site in the case that I am presented with a login page after clicking a link. It's only because of my heightened emotions at the time - I was mad! - that I almost logged into this one.

In the end I am making the sale to someone local, which I am happy about. It will be much nicer to hand the camera to someone instead of packing it up and sending it back halfway around the world.

gilevans
7-Mar-2008, 23:48

Same exact thing happen to me selling a Nikon D2H and D2X.

erie patsellis
8-Mar-2008, 18:39
I"v had it happen twice, and both times when relisted the items sold for far less than the previous time. You almost have to print out a copy of the bidders list, just in case it happens, you can at least contact the previous bidders to let them know you're relisting.

erie

SAShruby
8-Mar-2008, 19:46
The key to responding to ANYTHING reputed to come from Ebay is to go to My Ebay and see if the message is there as well. If it ain't.....it ain't legitimate. Respond from within ebay.

Even that is no guarantee. Last phishing I had was a second chance offer and was completely legit. My messages and my ebay showed secon chance offer listed. They are more clever. Thank god I was third from the top in bidding so I didn't went for it.

Phisher had full access to seller account!