PDA

View Full Version : 550 Holder or other options?

Ash
26-Feb-2008, 11:38
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to get a better grasp on instant film, in light of the discontinuing of polaroid.

I notice that Fujifilm is at a very fair price in comparison, especially for colour (which I'm considering trying).

So anyway. I've researched and noted that the 'cheap' Fuji 100c ?? film is a 'pack film' so it's 10 sheets in one yes? That needs a Pola 550 holder, which will be thick, yes?

Okay so I REALLY want to be shooting instant's with the Razzle-900 (heavy option!). I remember Bartf saying he couldn't fit the 550 holder immediately so I might have a bit of trouble there. Did these holders really only fit Graflok backs of a specific type?

Are there any catches to the 550 I should know? does it have a special darkslide or anything?

Do I have any alternatives?

I don't really mind pack film so long as it's instant. I'd just weight train a little to cope with the added strain to my arms so long as I could shoot instant 5x4 with the Razzle, as a side-project to traditional 5x4 film of course.

So, 550 holder? Any alternative holder I can get?

Any alternative film type?

Thanks!

Gordon Moat
26-Feb-2008, 13:30
The Fujifilm version of the Polaroid 550 pack film holder is called the PA-45. However, it is about the same physical size externally, so not much more help going under a ground glass. Both these have slots in the sides, which will work with tabs, if you have a camera with those.

Fuji Instant is also available in a smaller pack size to fit the Polaroid 405 holder, and they make their version of that called the PA-145. These will fit under a ground glass on many cameras, though might be a tight fit. The downside is that these pack films are cropped from full 4x5 size, so you don't get the full view.

Fujifilm sell Instant films FP100C, FP100B, and FP3000B that fits the Polaroid 405 holder. They also sell a Silk version of the FP100C, but I think only in Japan.

The larger Fuji Instant to fit the Polaroid 550 holder (or PA-45) is FP100C45 or FP3000B45. Note the 45 in the name designation, which indicates the larger pack size. I use this size more often than the smaller pack, though the cost is higher per shot.

I have used FP100C and FP100C45 (Colour) quite often, and find it sort of between Polaroid 669 and 690, though the quality control is much better. I have only used FP100B (B/W) with one pack, which I generally liked in results. I have yet to use FP3000B (B/W), though I might when I get my Polaroid 900 conversion done (that will have a cam lock arrangement to make it easier to use slotted backs (Graflock slots)).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ash
26-Feb-2008, 14:41
That's perfect Gordon, thankyou :)

I think I'll be looking for a PA-45 or Pola 550 after all... I get paid at the end of the week I think?

Dirk Rösler
26-Feb-2008, 18:06
Generally I recommend the PA-45 holder over the 550. My impression was also that the Fuji holder is a little thinner and easier to fit (although I have not measured to verify).

Ash
27-Feb-2008, 05:09
I can't seem to find a single PA-45 for sale.... I might have to get the Pola back if I can find one.

This is going to be expensive...

Gordon Moat
27-Feb-2008, 12:00
I think I paid near $US 60 for my Polaroid 550 holder. That was a little over a year ago, and before this Polaroid announcement. They are definitely on the used market, but you have to be somewhat patient and persistent to find good deals. My feeling is that these are better made than the 405 holders. Good luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Dirk Rösler
27-Feb-2008, 18:18
I can't seem to find a single PA-45 for sale.... I might have to get the Pola back if I can find one.

This is going to be expensive...

Contact me privately if you want one. Just organised a good condition used PA-45 for somebody else, but cost is around $120 or so plus shipping.

Ash
28-Feb-2008, 11:29
Dirk many thanks for your offer, however I've just ordered one. :)

It should arrive tomorrow with a few boxes of fuji - a dozen plus the holder for £100 :D

Dirk Rösler
28-Feb-2008, 18:57
Good on you and welcome to the Fuji family :)

Ash
29-Feb-2008, 03:19
Thanks Dirk - after all, it's a Fuji lens on the Razzle :D

bartf
1-Mar-2008, 15:46
I sort of managed to make my 550 back fit on my Razzle.

You have to remove the springs and reverse the nuts.

Ash
1-Mar-2008, 16:02
Bart, that's what I did :)

drh151
7-Apr-2008, 08:21
I almost paid $360 for a Fuji PA-45 back ($117 new). :eek: Thankfully someone saved me from myself by placing a higher bid at the last minute.

Does anyone know if the major camera retailers will be getting more of these anytime soon?

captainslack
7-Apr-2008, 11:35
These backs have going for INSANE prices since they Polaroid discontinuation announcement. Used 550 back regularly got for upwards of $200US on ePrey. If you find one cheaper than that, consider yourself lucky and snap it up!

venchka
7-Apr-2008, 12:51
That would make my 550 back one of the very few "deals" I have gotten in the last 2 1/2 years.

Dirk Rösler
7-Apr-2008, 19:19
I almost paid $360 for a Fuji PA-45 back ($117 new). :eek: Thankfully someone saved me from myself by placing a higher bid at the last minute.

Does anyone know if the major camera retailers will be getting more of these anytime soon?

I have seen one selling for $412 last week. :eek:

Ash
8-Apr-2008, 00:45
I'm so glad I paid what I did for mine :D