PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying camera size

Craig Griffiths
24-Feb-2008, 23:20
I have come across a camera marked with the following plate on the front.

R B ENLARGING CAMERA
made by
FOLMER GRAFLEX CORPORATION
ROCHESTER N.Y. U.S.A.

The camera is about 1000 km away from me so I can't get there to check myself, but does anyone have any idea what format it is (ie 4x5, 8x10, or 11x14) and the approximate age.

I will add an image as soon as one comes through.

Many thanks

Craig Griffiths
24-Feb-2008, 23:31
this is the image of the camera. Any thoughts?

Kirk Fry
25-Feb-2008, 00:17
Not 4X5, I am going to guess 10X10 with a 8 X 10 back. I don't think it is 14 inches square, but maybe. Could be some odd plate size too. K

Nick_3536
25-Feb-2008, 00:19
I have come across a camera marked with the following plate on the front.

R B ENLARGING CAMERA

It's not a camera is it? It's one of those home enlargers. No?

cotdt
25-Feb-2008, 00:24
all i see is a bunch of 35mm cameras =)

Andrey Donchev
25-Feb-2008, 00:44
Depending on the size of the 35mm cameras I'd guess that this is 11x14.

big_ben_blue
25-Feb-2008, 10:41
The 1927 Eastman catalog only shows an 8x10 Enlarging camera being offered (looks just like in your photo).
HOWEVER, this camera isn't intended for use as regular camera; but more as a horizontal enlarger. The back is similar to a negative holder of an enlarger; you would have to find a suitable filmback for it.

Craig Griffiths
25-Feb-2008, 14:41
Thanks for the responses.

Fortunately it has a film back for it as well, but it might be a project for an 8x10 enlarger. It appears that the previous owner used it for portraits so had the back made to fit the camera.

The lens on it is interesting. It has the markings

NICOLA PERSCHEID - OBJEKTIV
F:4,5 F=30cm D.R.P.372059
EMILBUSCH A. - G. RATHNOW

It would be worth it just for the lens regardless of whether or not I built the enlarger.

Peter K
25-Feb-2008, 15:27
The Nicola Perscheid lens is a soft-focus lens made in different focal lengts from 210mm up to 600mm by Emil Busch in Rathenow near Berlin. It has an image-angle of 45°, so it is a nice portrait lens for 5x7". This lens was made up to the midle of the last century.

ic-racer
25-Feb-2008, 16:03
Looks like a good project. That back does look larger than the 8x10 back of a Century, though the front standard and rail look very similar.

Might be a little flimsy for an enlarger (ie attaching a light source to the back standard) but with some clever engineering I bet it could be done.

big_ben_blue
25-Feb-2008, 20:37
Might be a little flimsy for an enlarger (ie attaching a light source to the back standard) but with some clever engineering I bet it could be done.

Actually, the Eastman catalog speaks of knocking a hole into the darkroom wall and having the light source OUTSIDE the darkroom with the camera pushed against said wall opening on the inside :D; a simple horizontal enlarger if you wish.

Will Thompson
25-Feb-2008, 20:45
Craig, What you need to know is the size of the inside of the rear of the bellows. This will be close to the max format size back you can use. I.E. 14" sq= 11x14

ic-racer
25-Feb-2008, 21:06
Actually, the Eastman catalog speaks of knocking a hole into the darkroom wall and having the light source OUTSIDE the darkroom with the camera pushed against said wall opening on the inside :D; a simple horizontal enlarger if you wish.

Seems Ansel Adams had a similar setup. Now you just need to combine that idea with Edison's revolving studio and you will have a good constant light source...http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_Edison_Motion_Pictures.htm

Embdude
27-Jun-2018, 14:13
8x10 is largest opening on rotating back... rear standard has holder slightly larger than 11x11