PDA

View Full Version : 90mm lens.. flat or recessed board????

MCR Photography
24-Feb-2008, 17:45
I recently purchased a toyo 45cx(first 4x5, yet to use) and super angulon 90mm 5.6. I mainly, at least in the beginning plan to shoot landscapes, with something close in the foreground and mountains, etc. in the background. Should I be purchasing a flat or recessed lensboard? Please help.:)

Maretzo
24-Feb-2008, 18:24
I have a Nikon 90mm on a Tachihara, it needs some movements that only the recessed board permits.

Glenn Thoreson
24-Feb-2008, 18:53
Try a flat board first to see if you can get everything you need out of it. If it will focus at infinity and give a little movement, you should be okay. Personally, I don't like to use recessed boards if I can help it. They make the shutter controls just too hard for me to use. I gots big mitts, you see.

John Bowen
24-Feb-2008, 18:57
I agree with Glenn. Same problem with big mitts!!!

Maretzo
24-Feb-2008, 19:46
I have huge mitts, and sometimes even gloves, and I have to use a pen to push the dial..

Ted Harris
24-Feb-2008, 20:04
I have had cameras that required a recessed board for a 90mm lens, I got rid of them. I know that sounds flip and I don't mean it to do so but there are few cameras that can't handle a 90 and give you the modicum of movement you need for most landscape work. The cameras I currently use work fine with a 75 on a flat board.

The Toyo cx should be fine with the 90 and a standard bellows. If it seems to compressed for your shooting style you will be better off switching to a bag bellows rather than a recessed board.

lenser
24-Feb-2008, 20:07
I agree with everything said about the difficulty of big fingers and recessed boards. If your camrera can take a bag bellows and it's in your budget, I recommend going that way if you find you need the extra movements. That makes it possible to use the flat boards and gives you total access to all the controls. Definitely start with the flat board and then you can decide.