PDA

View Full Version : Very New To This

seabee1999
22-Feb-2008, 18:38
Good day, I am very new to this type of photography. I got into photography severl years ago when hurricane passed through the area I was living at that time. Before the storm hit, I purchased an N65 and a few lenses and have been learning ever since. Right now I am attending photography school through the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. Since 2003, when I picked up the N65, I have been learning so much in both the 35mm and digital realm. Now I am looking to challenge myself again and desire to get a LF camera.

I shoot mostly landscapes, general nature, some wildlife, sports and whatever else tickles my fancy. I'd like to get a camera that is 4x5 and has a rail system. I was looking today through this site and some others on what to get to start out with. At KEH, I saw a few Cambos and Calumets at prices that I could afford as well as a Nikkor lens (135 f/5.6). I know you all are the experts so I'd like to ask if this is a good kit to start off with or should I find somethig different?

The following like is what I have shot over the past 2 years:
http://seabee1999.smugmug.com/

God Bless,
David

lenser
22-Feb-2008, 20:50
Welcome, David.

You're not going to go wrong with either camera. I've got a Cambo SCX and also have an older model Calumet WA and each is a fantastic rig. The Nikkor lens should yield great images. You'll find that the lens is in the short normal range.

Wider angles will be in the 90mm and shorter lengths and you won't get into tele lengths until you are well above 210mm. You won't be doing much wildlife or any actions sports with a view camera, but nothing beats it for landscape and architecture and it does quite well for portraits and product work. Have fun.

Tim

Nick_3536
22-Feb-2008, 22:53
I shoot mostly landscapes, general nature, some wildlife, sports and whatever else tickles my fancy. I'd like to get a camera that is 4x5 and has a rail system. I was looking today through this site and some others on what to get to start out with. At KEH, I saw a few Cambos and Calumets at prices that I could afford as well as a Nikkor lens (135 f/5.6). I know you all are the experts so I'd like to ask if this is a good kit to start off with or should I find somethig different?

KEH is great for lenses but their LF cameras are often on the high side. OTOH the quality should be fine. The lens is fine.

Why do you want a monorail over a field camera?

seabee1999
22-Feb-2008, 23:06
Thanks for your input so far guys. It really helps. I'll be looking at the Cambo SCX as well. As for why the monorail, I am looking for the flexablity it has to offer.

God Bless,
David

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2008, 23:22
Don't overlook older monorails, in particularly the Calumet 400 series and the Graphic View 1 & 2. It's very inexpensive to get into one of these---a few years ago I picked up a 400 for $100 and I just won a GV2 for $125. Both cameras were almost like new and rugged---milspec rugged!
Nikkor LF lenses are very fine but Nikon IIRC is no longer producing them. Jim Galli in Tonopah is the man to see about lenses in your neck of the woods...uhhh...desert.
Have fun!

Jim Galli
23-Feb-2008, 00:11
Jim Galli in Tonopah is the man to see about lenses in your neck of the woods...uhhh...desert.
Have fun!

Thanks John. The Cambo is an excellent place to start. A 135 Nikkor is a fine lens but if I could only afford one lens to start with I'd choose a Caltar_SII 210mm or Symmar-S 210. Looking through your web pages I think you'd be well served with that lens. The other thing is it's modern and in reliable shutter and it has tons of movements. Very forgiving for a beginner. No, I don't have one to sell you. My stuff has gravitated towards the exotic and downright weird these past years. Good luck!

seabee1999
23-Feb-2008, 07:08
Thanks again for your help. I will look into the other cameras and lenses.

God Bless,
David

SamReeves
23-Feb-2008, 10:45
I can't see anything wrong with KEH kit. Usually everything they sell is if of great quality. However if you're doing a bit of walking, dragging the rail can be…well a drag. :D Therefore you might want to look into a folding field camera for the future if you want to hike around.

steve simmons
23-Feb-2008, 12:28
Before buying any equipment may I suggest some reading

Getting Started in Large Format

this is an article in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

there may be several other articles there as well.

also, one of these books

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera
Kack Dykinga's Large Format Nature Photography
my book Using the View Camera

try your local library

steve simmons