PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss F-line field C vs. Misura

butterflydream
22-Feb-2008, 17:25
Sorry. A question again from the newbie.

I was considering to buy Misura for compact field, but after I read postings here it looks like many here have F-line field C. I found the difference that the rear standard doesn't tilt or swing with Misura while F-line field does. Misura comes with Orbix, while F-line field doesn't as standard. Is that right and is there any other difference?

I'm getting a feeling that Misura becomes expensive for its beautiful (and a bit snorby) metal or leather carrying case, which I don't really need because anyhow I will have to put it in the backback.

TIA

Brad Rippe
22-Feb-2008, 17:56
I have the Arca F-Line Field and it is a very nice camera. I use a backpack for day hikes. Its very compact. Be sure to get an extension rail, depending on the lenses yo use. I can use a Fuji 450 C with the bellows that came with it.
It maxes it out at infinity, but its really nice needing only one bellows.
-Brad

Emmanuel BIGLER
23-Feb-2008, 04:16
Hello !

There is another difference ; the Misura has a rail which is slightly longer, 32 cm, than the standard 30 cm foldable rail of the C series in 4x5".
The misura rail folds up instead of folding down, this allows to keep the holding bracket & dovetail on the rail whereas you cannot fold the C rail completely without sliding the 8.5 cm bracket off.
You can take the misura's oval base plate off and leave the leather case at home if you wish.
This superb leather case is not (IMHO) a snobbish gadget. Just a quality leather case to protect a quality instrument built for years of intensive use.
Ever seen plumbers and other hard-workers in America with their heavy-duty leather cases to carry their tools ;)
Ever seen cow-boys with all kinds of top-quality leatherware in their environment ?
The misura's leather case is the photographic version of those cases, designed to serve the craftsman for years ! ;) with a touch of European style, I confess.

In the good old days, most German cameras had a dedicated ever-ready leather case (ERC). In the sixties, photo-journalists eventually decided that you no longer needed a leather case to protect your valuable camera ; hence the amateurs followed and anything looking like a leather case was considered obsolete, laughable, good for grandfathers who insisted to continue using a Rolleiflax TLR in his superb but old-fashioned leather ERC, mocked at as : never-ready case !
In those years, snobism was actually the driving force _not_ to use a leather case ;)

Otherwise the really main difference is : no tilts at rear with the misura. If you consider the generous amount of tilting angles allowed by the front function carrier plus the orbix, you'll probably never need any additional tilting capability at the back for landscape use.
Remember that a 150mm lens located at 1.5 metre above ground will require only 6 degrees of tilt to achieve the classical "landscape-Scheimpflug-angle".
However for table-top subjects in the studio, traditional style, redundant movements at the front and back are more convenient

As far as the orbix is concerned, you can order you compact field A/S model with either the manual orbix of the geard (micrometric) orbix. At a nominal extra cost of course.
I have a F-line with 110mm fornt standards and the manual orbix which is a joy to use but not with mittens in winter ;)
Hence orbix aficionados of winter shots prefer the geared orbix.

butterflydream
23-Feb-2008, 17:16
Thanks all, I have ordered F-Line Field.

It is the price, not the snobism of the leather case of Misura that makes me against it. I do like the nice case if I have enough money. :) And because this is my first view camera, I want every movement possible for learning purpose.

I think I use 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses, the standard rail length that comes with it would be OK.

Capocheny
23-Feb-2008, 19:28

It is the price, not the snobism of the leather case of Misura that makes me against it. I do like the nice case if I have enough money. :) And because this is my first view camera, I want every movement possible for learning purpose.

I think I use 75mm, 100mm and 150mm lenses, the standard rail length that comes with it would be OK.

Hi Ernie,

Hope Sandra was able to look after you... the F-Line is a fine camera and I think you'll enjoy using it. :)

If you're just getting into Large Format photography... I'd suggest you consider something like a 180 or 210 lens and play with it until you get use to things.

With a 75mm... you're going to find it can be a bit harder to focus because of the nature of the lens.

Lastly, pick up some books and do some reading... I'd suggest the following:

1. Using the View Camera - Steve Simmons

2. Landscape & Large Format Photography - Jack Dykinga

3. Users Guide To The View Camera - Jim Stone

These are all great books to help you get into the "swing" of things. :)

Have fun!

Cheers

butterflydream
23-Feb-2008, 21:49
Thank you for the recommendation of the books. I ordered 2 of them immediately at amazon.

I haven't used longer than normal lens before, of course with 135 and 120 formats, so I thought I would do the same for LF. Is there any particular reason that longer focal lens is better with LF? I don't take so much portraits (except of my family and friends which are not so serious), or table top objects. Most of things I take are landscapes and cityscapes. But I think I would add a longer focal lens if there is particular advantage or benefit of it with LF.

For shorter than 75mm, I think it's better to use my Silvestri if they are not so suitable for this camera - I have 47, 58, 75 and 100mm with helicoids that came with second hand Silvestries. After some experience I would sell some of them, they are certainly too many for me.

butterflydream
23-Feb-2008, 23:13
Well, I was confused. I though 180 - 210 mm as tele. They are just within normal focal length slightly longer. It's new world.

Herb Cunningham
24-Feb-2008, 10:43
I think the Misura is a mistake by Arca- I got one from B&H, tried it out and returned it.

I have the F line in three sizes, and would not use the Misura for anything. You can get the weight down to a reasonable level by using small fronts and short rails with the bag bellows, still good for 240mm maybey 300, and not have to deal with the rather odd features of the Misura.

My $.02

Capocheny
24-Feb-2008, 13:12
Well, I was confused. I though 180 - 210 mm as tele. They are just within normal focal length slightly longer. It's new world.

Hi Ernie,

At the top of this page is a link to The Large Format Home Page... click on it for some great information. Once you've clicked on the heading... there's a link that will take you to a lens page, as follows:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/

Look for the page appropriate for 4x5 lenses and take a peek. This page should give you an idea of the lenses available and their coverage capabilities.

Cheers

Frank Petronio
24-Feb-2008, 15:03
People call anything between 135 to 210 normal for 4x5 -- a 150 is probably the "most" normal to my eyes. They are the most popular and least expensive lens (also the sharpest and best imho). Any of the ones from the major brands made since the late 70s will be excellent unless somebody sandpapered the glass or tossed it against a brick wall. If you shop and are patient you can find superb normal lenses for under $300.

Rod Klukas
1-Sep-2011, 09:47

If you send me your snail mail address i will send you a packet i use to teach LF at Scottsdale Community College. It has tips on how to be quicker and more accurate with LF cameras. Also some pages on Arca-Swiss in particular. No charge.

evan clarke
1-Sep-2011, 12:21
I have a 141 f metric with orbix that I bought from Rod and it's the most compact, versatile camera you can get..Evan Clarke

Ivan J. Eberle
1-Sep-2011, 16:55
Ummm, Rod... you do realize this is a 3-1/2 year old thread to which you're responding?

Rod Klukas
3-Sep-2011, 08:25
Ummm, Rod... you do realize this is a 3-1/2 year old thread to which you're responding?
He responded and I sent off the literature.

Maybe it is a never ending tale... This large Format Photography....