PDA

View Full Version : Difference APO-Symmar / Symmar-S

blevblev
21-Feb-2008, 07:49
What's the difference between a Schneider f5.6 210 Symmar-S and a Schneider f5.6 210mm Apo Symmar ?

Mark Sampson
21-Feb-2008, 08:56
The Symmar-S lens series was introduced around 1972. After about 1976 they were multicoated, and so labelled on the lens barrel. The Apo-Symmar series replaced the Symmar-S around 1991. Presumably the "Apo" refers to apochromatic color correction; IIRC Schneider advertised another 2 degrees of coverage for the Apo version, 72 vs.70degrees. I've used an early (single-coated) 300mm Symmar-S; it's a superb lens on 8x10. I've also used a 135mm Apo-Symmar on 4x5; also superb; it produces a very high-contrast image. Those two lenses don't compare directly so I can't say one is "better" than the other; I'm sure someone will have more direct experience and post their answer.

Kevin Crisp
21-Feb-2008, 09:31
Thanks to a burglar I got to compare the multi-coated "S" to the APO version. There was a "big" difference, that was that the shutter speed ring on the APO version was black instead of silver. Other than that, I'd be hard pressed to come up with any practical difference. Both are highly flare resistant, contrasty and sharp. I understand the APO version has a smidgen more coverage, but in shooting this lens on 4X5, I'm not sure that would ever come into play since the older version will cover even 5X7 with quite a lot of movement.

mrladewig
21-Feb-2008, 13:42
On that note, I've got a single coated 150/5.6 Symmar-S made right around that 1972 date. The contrast might not be as high as my EBC Fuji lenses (of different focal lengths), but I couldn't say that for certain as I've never shot the same subject with both lenses. It doesn't seem drastically different to me and I've been very happy with the images I've shot with it.

I think either lens would be a good performer and from what I've seen they'd be reasonably good bargains.

Mel-