PDA

View Full Version : My Son is Going to Japan and a T-shirt

Richard K.
20-Feb-2008, 07:39
is not all I want him to bring me back! I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a Fuji 600 CS lens there than here (what cost approx. in $US?) and what stores could I contact. I would pay for it from here (West of the Humber, Etobicoke) and my son would either pick it up (if his school trip itinerary allows) or I'd have it sent to the hotel he'll be staying at (if they agree). Any advice appreciated!

-Richard K.

butterflydream
20-Feb-2008, 07:56
I can't find 600mm fujinon, but this shop has some fujinon lenses. You could figure out the price level from other lenses.

http://www.mapcamera.com/sho/search.php?MODE=M_VIEW&ACT=A_LIST&keyword=fujifilm&sort=date&order=down&limit=25&Image501111.x=46&Image501111.y=11

Sal Santamaura
20-Feb-2008, 08:18
...a Fuji 600 CS lens there than here (what cost approx. in $US?)...http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=176

and

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,1375.htm

but currently out-of-stock at both.

*Upon re-reading the original post, I suspect Richard is looking for the cost in a Japanese shop converted to $US, not prices local to him in North America. I can't help with that, but will leave this post in place for reference anyway.

BradS
20-Feb-2008, 10:25
Considering the dismal state of the US Currency things are probably different today (worse) than they were last time I was in Japan but, it used to be the case that the domestic sales of Japanese consumer electronics (and the like) subsidized export sales. That is, things always cost more there than they did here in the US.

mrladewig
20-Feb-2008, 13:07
I will second Brad's comment. When I was traveling for work a few years back, electronic goods were never cheaper in Asia than the US. I was visiting Singapore and flying through Tokyo. Usually Asian prices are more than US prices though I have heard occasionally of cheap electronics in Hong Kong.

Buy your lens from a US or Canadian dealer and I think you'll be better off.

Capocheny
20-Feb-2008, 13:07
Richard,

Since you're located in Toronto... why don't you check with Rob Skeoch - located in Burlington, Ontario.

He's a member of this forum and can be reached through his website:

http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp

I'm sure he'd be happy to help out if he can... he's a Fuji dealer as well.

Cheers

Gary Smith
20-Feb-2008, 15:40
I just bought one in Tokyo at the Shinjuku Yodobashi less than two months ago for a ULF camera I am about to order. The price at the time was 145,000 yen. Which at today's exchange rate is about $1355.00. Its not that much cheaper than Badger Graphic or MPX is selling them for, especially now the the dollar as dropped by 20 percent over the last several months.

Fuji has just finished a production run on all there current lenses, and it was in stock as of several weeks ago, along with all there other lenses.

Hope it helps.

Gary

butterflydream
20-Feb-2008, 16:52
It looks like so. Some shops in Japan re-import Japanese cameras back to Japan and sell.

Dirk Rösler
20-Feb-2008, 18:03
The dollar rate is unfavourable for you right now. Generally the selection and availability is much richer in Japan and that for me is the primary argument to buy in Japan i.e. you cannot get it elsewhere. Also it is a hassle factor of sending someone round to shops he a) has no subject matter knowledge b) cannot communicate with shop staff. And if something should go wrong - there is always the possibility - what are you going to do, fly back to Japan for a warranty issue?

LH1H17
22-Feb-2008, 18:57
Yodobashi camera in Shinjuku, Tokyo has the best LF selection anywhere.
www.yodobashi.com

Bring your passport to get 5% off, or even better make a point card and you can get 10% of your purchase as store credit that you can use immediately on other purchases (a 2nd lens, accessories, whatever).
They always have english-speaking staff as well!

Happy travelling! :)

Richard K.
23-Feb-2008, 07:37
Yodobashi camera in Shinjuku, Tokyo has the best LF selection anywhere.
www.yodobashi.com

They always have english-speaking staff as well!

Happy travelling! :)

Nice site, thanks for the link...but...it's Greek to me! Is there an e-mail link anywhere on that site? I would appreciate someone pointing it out to me! :o

-Richard

Dirk Rösler
25-Feb-2008, 06:19
Nice site, thanks for the link...but...it's Greek to me! Is there an e-mail link anywhere on that site? I would appreciate someone pointing it out to me! :o

-Richard

Dunno if they have email but I doubt anyone will answer you in English.

What do you want to know?

Richard K.
25-Feb-2008, 08:34
Dunno if they have email but I doubt anyone will answer you in English.

What do you want to know?

Whether they have a Fujinon 600mm CS in stock and what price...

Oren Grad
25-Feb-2008, 10:41
Whether they have a Fujinon 600mm CS in stock and what price...

Richard, the Yodobashi website is showing only the Fujinon CM-W lenses:

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/productslist/cat_13_23/52381067.html

Dirk Rösler
25-Feb-2008, 17:52
Richard, the Yodobashi website is showing only the Fujinon CM-W lenses:

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/productslist/cat_13_23/52381067.html

And note the symbol on the right (the bowing guy) - not available...

As I said, sending someone who is visiting round the houses is often not worth the hassle. Your son should look at people and culture, not shopping centres.

Just my opinion. If I get to Yodobashi in the next few days I can ask for you on status, let's see.

LH1H17
26-Feb-2008, 03:22
And note the symbol on the right (the bowing guy) - not available...

As I said, sending someone who is visiting round the houses is often not worth the hassle. Your son should look at people and culture, not shopping centres.

Just my opinion. If I get to Yodobashi in the next few days I can ask for you on status, let's see.

funny, I just visited Yodobashi in Shinjuku and they had all three "C" lenses for sale.
the prices are *roughly* about 65000, 85000 and 130000 yen including tax, but before the 10% point rebate.

and having travelled around Tokyo (and now living and working there), imho Yodobashi Camera IS a place to experience REAL japanese people and culture, and should be a mandatory stop between visiting all the tourist traps around.

Richard K.
26-Feb-2008, 07:32
funny, I just visited Yodobashi in Shinjuku and they had all three "C" lenses for sale.
the prices are *roughly* about 65000, 85000 and 130000 yen including tax, but before the 10% point rebate.

Thank you LH1H17 (is that your real name :) ?) Can you tell me if showing a passport exempts one from tax (what is the tax rate?) and also how do you get the 10% rebate?
Thanks to all others who replied! I have no intention of sending my son on a wild goose chase at the expense of cultural edification (although I imagine he would feel some sense of accomplishment by a successful business navigation in a fairly foreign country!) but I thought ONE stop where it was certain to be fruitful and IF he was in the area would be good for the cause....my cause...:)

-Richard

LH1H17
27-Feb-2008, 01:59
Hi Richard,

The sales tax in Japan is 5%. If you present a foreign passport with tourist visa (e.g. i can't use my passport with work visa), then you won't pay the 5%.

Otherwise, you can register for a Yodobashi "Gold Point Card" (just use your hotel address and telephone when they ask for it). Present it whenever you buy something and you will get (usually) 10% of the item value as points if you pay by cash (you get 8% for credit cards). Points are useable as yen for all items in their store. Effectively it is roughly a 9-10% discount, which beats the 5% tax rebate.

I know at least two stores that carry all of the Fujinon lenses: Yodobashi Shinjuku (west exit of the huge Shinjuku station) or the Yobodashi Akihabara (Akihabara station, conveniently located in the electronics mecca of Tokyo).

Hope that helps!

LH
(I prefer to go by my initials :cool: )

Thank you LH1H17 (is that your real name :) ?) Can you tell me if showing a passport exempts one from tax (what is the tax rate?) and also how do you get the 10% rebate?
Thanks to all others who replied! I have no intention of sending my son on a wild goose chase at the expense of cultural edification (although I imagine he would feel some sense of accomplishment by a successful business navigation in a fairly foreign country!) but I thought ONE stop where it was certain to be fruitful and IF he was in the area would be good for the cause....my cause...:)

-Richard