PDA

View Full Version : Total Lunar Eclipse Feb 20th 2008

Eric James
19-Feb-2008, 02:42
Many of you may know of this rapidly approaching landscape opportunity. This Wednesday night many of us in North America will have a rare opportunity to view and photograph a total lunar eclipse. I live in Seattle where the Mid-Eclipse (PST) will arrive at ~7:30 PM. The moon will be due east in the sky at that time and approximately 18 degrees above the horizon.

Here are a couple of links to help you make plans to photograph the event:

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2008Feb21/TLE2008Feb21.html

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/sunmooncalc/

Let's hope for clear skies!

Diane Maher
19-Feb-2008, 05:52
It figures, it's supposed to be cloudy with a chance of snow here tomorrow night. :(

Kevin M Bourque
19-Feb-2008, 06:44
Bear in mind that the Moon is much smaller than we perceive it...only 0.5 degree, less than the width of your little finger at arm's length. This is true even when it looks as big as a dinner plate!

If a "normal" lens (regardless of format) covers fifty degrees, then the moon will only subtend 1/100th of the frame. Some planning and good luck is required to incorporate foreground objects.

Lunar eclipses are quite cool. I'll be watching. If you know any werewolves, it really throws them a curve.

Eric James
26-Feb-2008, 18:47
Nice crisp shot! Where were you shooting from Dakotah? Did you capture Saturn in any of your photos? It was at 8 o'clock and maybe 5 degrees from the moon. I've never shot at minus 22 F and I can't imagine that it would be very fun. I had planned to be to Anchorage for a mushing event but the weather had been so warm I was afraid that it would be cancelled - the timing and position of the eclipse would have been ideal in Anchorage. Its position was darn good in Seattle but as the eclipse progressed the moon climbed too high in the sky. I also resorted to a dSLR but I wish that I had brought my 4X5 and 300mm lens to location - that focal length would have been ideal for shooting the mid-full eclipse from my location on the eastern shore of Bainbridge Island. As it turned out the shortest lens I had brought along was a tad too long after 7:30PM PST. Still, it was fun to shoot and I captured some keepers.

Rory_5244
27-Feb-2008, 15:01
Nice photos, guys.

Keith S. Walklet
27-Feb-2008, 19:31
That's sweet Eric. I don't mind the elevation of the moon either. Makes it seem even more otherworldly.

Brian Sims
27-Feb-2008, 20:56

8 inch celestron with a Nikon

Rory_5244
28-Feb-2008, 10:08
Wow