PDA

View Full Version : Using Canham 6x17 back on Toyo G

David Bradley
18-Feb-2008, 18:10
Has anyone had any success using a Canham 6x17 back on a Toyo G (or GII or GX)? In liu of any success, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to how this might be done?

While my main rig is all Canham, I also have a Toyo G system that I use for "large format telephoto" work with 750mm and 1200mm lenses. I recently (naively) ordered a Toyo 5x7 back so that I could use the Canham 6x17 back on the Toyo rig, only to discover that the Toyo back isn't a Graflock and isn't even close to being compatable with the Canham back. (Truly a "smack the forehead" moment, and not a cheap one either.)

One possibility is a custom piece by SK Grimes, but that seems like a bit of a project. I might do it if necessary but would prefer something simpler.

Another option is to mount the Canham on the Toyo rail then attach the front of the Canham bellows to the rear of the Toyo bellows via a lensboard adapter. Mechanically that might work, but optically I'm pretty sure the front end of the Canham bellows is too narrow and will cause serious vignetting with those long lenses.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

David

bglick
4-Mar-2008, 00:45
David.... what a pickle.... best bet.... buy the MCQ back only and rig it to the toyo rail, that is what I did.... Of course, if you have the 5x7 canham already, than not sure the reason?

cotdt
4-Mar-2008, 01:12
is 6x17 considered large format?