PDA

View Full Version : Using 53mm Biogon on Linhof Technika 70

Bert Hillebrand
18-Feb-2008, 16:08
I'm wondering if using this lens on a 2x3 Technika 70 can create problems. Does the camera bed have to be dropped when making a vertical picture to avoid it showing up in the photo, and won't the extension be too long this way to be able to focus at infinity? I have a 1966 catalog which lists this lens as being part of a tree lens set for the camera, yet the illustrations show a recessed lens board, but only flat boards are now available I hope someone can clarify this for me.
Regards,
Bert

David Millard
19-Feb-2008, 04:10
Greetings Bert -

I have a 53mm Biogon that I use with an Expert 70 (the Technika 70 sans rangefinder/meter assembly) with no problem. The bed is dropped, and the rail slid back (there is a release tab and a detent for the new position). I'll look through my old Linhof literature this coming weekend, and see if I can find any information or images to send you.

Regards,
David

Bert Hillebrand
20-Feb-2008, 02:44
Hello David and thanks for your prompt reply. I'm still wondering about the current unavailability of recessed lensboards; if this drastically limits any lens movements because of the extra bellows compression with a flat board. Is your 53mm on a recessed board? Do you have any experience with the Technikon lenses, specifically produced for the Technica 70?
Regards
Bert

David Millard
20-Feb-2008, 03:44
My Biogon is on a flat board. I have modified the front top of my Expert 70 so that it has a removeable section when using wideangle lenses, analogous to the hinged top on the 23 Technika 5 bodies. Prior to this, the Biogon was blocked by the lid of the camera when rise was attempted, despite its long flange focal distance (approx. 72mm) relative to the lens's focal length. I now get rise to the edge of the image circle. The bellows compression is not a constraint. Such a modification of the camera top would not be possible with a Technika 70 (unless you removed the entire metering/rangefinder assembly!).
The wideangle Technikon was essentially a 58mm Rodenstock Grandagon in a small Compur 00 shutter, which allows it to be placed in a recessed board.

Bert Hillebrand
20-Feb-2008, 13:45
Do I understand that before your top modification absolutely no lens rise was posssible whatsoever? Actually my question about the Technikon was in reference to a 100mm F2.8 which is the lens on the camera which I am contemplating to trade my Technikardan 23 in for. Amother question: Is there any difference, apart from looks, between a beige (older) Rollex and the black SuperRollex

David A. Goldfarb
20-Feb-2008, 14:19
Rollex and Super-Rollex holders both came in tan and black versions.

A Rollex holder has a knob wind, and is prone to overlapping frames with some modern films, because of the way it is designed, and the fact that modern films are often on a thinner base and/or have a thinner backing than older films had.

A Super-Rollex has a lever wind and does not have this framing problem, because it meters the actual film distance traveled without regard to film thickness.

Peter K
20-Feb-2008, 16:27
With the Technika 70 also a 45mm lens, Biogon 1:4,5/45mm and Super-Angulon 1:8/45mm, can be used. This lenses where mounted on a recessed lensboard. The Biogon 53mm was mounted on a flat lensbord and could be used with the rangefinder together with the correct curve. With vertical pictures the bed has to be dropped. And it can be focussed at infinity.

Bert Hillebrand
26-Feb-2008, 11:09
Hello Peter. I assume that you have used a 53mm Biogon on a Technica 70, so can you affirm that when focussed on infinity, the lens can still be shifted up a bit or does the camera housing top get in the way?
Do you have any knowledge or experience with the Technikon 100mm F2.8; how big is the image circle, and quality compared to a 100mm Symmar or Sironar ? Also. can the 180mm Technikon permit a substantial lens shift, or is its image circle too small?
Regards, Bert

Peter K
27-Feb-2008, 15:19
Bert, I've used the Technika 70 as a handhold camera, also with the Planar 100mm, the Symmar 135mm and the Tele-Arton 180mm. For other work I'm using larger LF cameras, also with 2x3" rollfilm backs as Super- and Cine-Rollex.

As I know the Technikon 180mm is a tele lens with 130mm image circle, so there is about 17mm shift possible. The Technikon 100mm has an image circle from 135mm, so it can be shifted 20mm.

Regards, Peter K

David Millard
2-Mar-2008, 10:08
Bert, I've used the Technika 70 as a handhold camera, also with the Planar 100mm, the Symmar 135mm and the Tele-Arton 180mm. For other work I'm using larger LF cameras, also with 2x3" rollfilm backs as Super- and Cine-Rollex.

The Technikon 100mm has an image circle from 135mm, so it can be shifted 20mm.

Regards, Peter K

"With the Technika 70 also a 45mm lens, Biogon 1:4,5/45mm and Super-Angulon 1:8/45mm, can be used. This lenses where mounted on a recessed lensboard."

A little late, but I wanted to point out a few errors in the above postings: The Biogon 1:4,5/45mm comes in a Compur 0 shutter, and uses a flat lensboard (FWIW, one is now being offered on eBay). The f/8 version Super Angulon is in a Compur 00 shutter, and uses a recessed board, but it is 47mm, not 45mm in focal length.

Finally, I find it difficult to believe that the 100mm f/2.8 Technikon has an image circle of 135mm, since the f/2.8 Planar and Xenotar in this focal length have their image circles described in Linhof literature as 120mm and 115mm, respectively. I have used both of these lenses, and for practical purposes, their image circles are identical.

Peter K
2-Mar-2008, 11:17
Of course the SA has a focal lenght from 47mm, but the Biogon was also mounted in a recessed lensboard, mentioned so in list No 45 from 1968.

I've never use a Technikon, but the image circle of 135mm is mentioned in the Linhof folder "All about covering power". In this the image circle of the Planar 100mm is 120mm and the Xenotar 100mm has 115mm

David Millard
2-Mar-2008, 12:48
Of course the SA has a focal lenght from 47mm, but the Biogon was also mounted in a recessed lensboard, mentioned so in list No 45 from 1968.

I've never use a Technikon, but the image circle of 135mm is mentioned in the Linhof folder "All about covering power". In this the image circle of the Planar 100mm is 120mm and the Xenotar 100mm has 115mm

Hello Peter -

You are probably right about the image circle. I just looked at my copy of "All about covering power" (probably an older version than yours), and it lists a 95mm Heligon
as having a 130mm image circle. On the other hand, was the recessed lensboard for the Biogon intended to be used with a 23 Technika, or on the 45 format with a 6x7 rollfilm back?

Best regards,
David Millard

Peter K
3-Mar-2008, 01:05
On the other hand, was the recessed lensboard for the Biogon intended to be used with a 23 Technika, or on the 45 format with a 6x7 rollfilm back?
Hello David,
the Biogon 45mm could be used with the Technika 70 but not with the range-finder. Also mouted on a recessed lensboard on a Super Technika V with a 6x7 rollfilm back. The depth of field is so large so there is no need for the range-finder.

Regards,
Peter K