PDA

View Full Version : inexpensive contact printing

Daniel_Buck
18-Feb-2008, 12:30
I've looked around a bit for info on contact printing, and most sites suggest using 'holders' for contact printing.

Would an inexpensive way of doing this just be to place a sheet of glass (larger than the negative) on top of the negative and paper? I'd like to get the full negative printed (including the border of the film), I'm assuming that most holders would probably crop out the edge of the film, is this correct?

For 8x10 contact printing, what is a good place to start for printing if I want to get the entire negative (borders and all) onto an 8x10 paper? Just line them up by hand, place a sheet of glass over them, then expose? Or would it be easier to just get a proper holder?

Thanks for any advice and guidance!

Nick_3536
18-Feb-2008, 12:36
Older 8x10 contact frames often show up on Ebay. Usually called picture frames. Look at the photos of the back.

For 8x10 you might get away with just a thick piece of glass.

N Dhananjay
18-Feb-2008, 12:37
Yes, place neg and paper together by hand and place the glass over them, expose to a light from a bulb. I would suggest you pick up some soft material like cork or foam, and a fairly heavy piece of glass, which can be picked up cheap at most glass houses (ask them to chamfer the edges so you do not cut yourself on them). Cheers, DJ

Daniel_Buck
18-Feb-2008, 12:46
Older 8x10 contact frames often show up on Ebay. Usually called picture frames. Look at the photos of the back.

For 8x10 you might get away with just a thick piece of glass.
will most of these holders retain the borders of the film? or will they crop that out?

Yes, place neg and paper together by hand and place the glass over them, expose to a light from a bulb. I would suggest you pick up some soft material like cork or foam, and a fairly heavy piece of glass, which can be picked up cheap at most glass houses (ask them to chamfer the edges so you do not cut yourself on them). Cheers, DJ
What would the cork/foam be used for? to place under the paper?

John Bowen
18-Feb-2008, 12:55
Daniel,

There are 8x10 contact frames that will crop the borders. I have a frame that is larger than 8x10 (more like 10x12) that doesn't crop the borders.

Yes, the cork/foam is placed under the paper. This helps insure proper contact with the film/paper/glass sandwich.

CG
19-Feb-2008, 15:54
If you do it yourself... Foam is much better than cork which is harder and won't give enough.

Make sure you get glass in 100% perfect condition - no scratches at all.

C

cotdt
24-Feb-2008, 01:07
The cheapest contact printing does not require any equipment other than the paper and your developed negative. Simply expose your negative on top of your paper under the sun and you get your contact print. It's cheap because you can use the same paper over and over again.

Daniel_Buck
24-Feb-2008, 01:10
The cheapest contact printing does not require any equipment other than the paper and your developed negative. Simply expose your negative on top of your paper under the sun and you get your contact print. It's cheap because you can use the same paper over and over again.
I don't quite understand this. What do you mean by "the same paper over and over again"?

cotdt
24-Feb-2008, 01:23
I don't quite understand this. What do you mean by "the same paper over and over again"?

The print fades after a while, so you get to use the paper again!

Bobby Ironsights
24-Feb-2008, 02:26
The print fades after a while, so you get to use the paper again!

???
Come again?

P.S. Original poster, yes, you can use just a peice of glass on top of your negs and the paper.

I wish I had a nice printing frame, or even a crap printing frame, but I've never gotten around to it and I do alright.

Of course, I just use it for contact sheets, not for display prints.

cotdt
24-Feb-2008, 02:36
???
Come again?

the print from the UV sunlight fades over time, so you can reuse the paper over and over again! very cheap indeed.