PDA

View Full Version : Irving Penn Exhibit at the Morgan

Dave_B
17-Feb-2008, 15:09
If you find yourself in NYC, there is a terrific exhibit of Irving Penn's portraits of writers and aritists at the Morgan. They are quite wonderful. In particular, Penn used a trick of creating an acute corner with two large wall boards and asking the subject to stand there in a way of their own choosing. The results were quite interesting. As an example, Georgia O'Keefe and Truman Capote each found their own way of standing there in a way that seemed perfect for each of them. I recommend the exhibit and the Morgan is a little jewel of a museum. The library there is probably the most awe inspiring room in NYC.
Cheers,
Dave B.

Martin L.
24-Feb-2008, 17:34
I got to see it last month and it was pretty awesome. There were so many great photos I wouldn't be able to pick a favorite. I just returned from a cross country trip by auto. When I passed through Denver earlier this month I stopped and saw the Vilem Kriz exhibit at the unique Camera Obscura gallery which inspired me and left quite an impression. I think the highlight of my trip was Santa Fe. So many good galleries there.