PDA

View Full Version : My first 5x4 camera

Dave Saunders
16-Feb-2008, 12:55
It arrived today!!! Great! A linhof Color circa 1962
Forgot to buy some film though Boo Hoo!!!
I can't wait to get started

Scott Kathe
16-Feb-2008, 13:43
You don't really need film to get started you can practice making compositions and play around with movements to see what you can do with depth of field and perspective. I know that sounds boring but it can actually be pretty fun. I hope you ordered some film holders too;)

Scott

neil poulsen
16-Feb-2008, 14:05
Nice! This is an interesting camera, a Linhof Technika on a rail. It looks like you got the 6" extension that goes on the front.

I had one of these one time. With the short rail, it backpacks well. (Slide both standards onto the short rail and separate the rails.) I know that I would prefer one of these to the flatbed Technika version. I think the movements are more flexible.

If you want to use it with a 90mm or smaller lens, you can put both standards on the same side of the tripod mount.

Luca Merlo
16-Feb-2008, 14:50
Dave, it's a very nice camera ! Congratulations !

Ciao from Italy

Renato Tonelli
16-Feb-2008, 15:07
Congratulations Dave. Perhaps you should get some 4x5 Polaroid film, while you still can, for instant feedback while you practice.

Capocheny
16-Feb-2008, 19:32
Dave,

Classic Linhof!

Welcome to the club from Vancouver, BC, Canada. :)

I agree with Scott... play with the camera and get to know which knob controls which movements. Look at the results of making each movement on the ground-glass.

Also, pick up some reading materials:

1. Using the View Camera - Steve Simmons

2. The View Camera & Landscape Photography - Jack Dykinga

3. A User's Guide To The View Camera - Jim Stone

Cheers

Vaughn
16-Feb-2008, 23:18
Nice knobs, Dave!

Congrats and have fun!

Vaughn

Ole Tjugen
17-Feb-2008, 05:00
It's a very nice camera, and extremely easy to use in the field, too!

Leave the rail clamp on the tripod, and you can pack the camera with rail in a small backpack. It sets up in seconds! Set down the tripod, open clamp, place rail in clamp and close it. That's it!

Michael Heald
17-Feb-2008, 08:25
Congrats! Post some pictures when you have a chance.

Michael A. Heald

rwyoung
18-Feb-2008, 07:57
If you have some B&W photo paper, cut that to fit the holders and go play. Depending on the paper, anything from ISO 2 to ISO 10 is common. ISO 8 is a reasonable first guess.

Matte surface is "better" but glossy will work. RC is the easiest but fiber works just fine too.

Process like a print, then scan or contact print again to invert.