PDA

View Full Version : Where to get lens mounted in New York City

Renato Tonelli
15-Feb-2008, 20:02
I need to have a lens mounted on a wood lens board. Any suggestions for this type of service in New York City? Thanks in advance.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Feb-2008, 20:20
I usually send them to SK Grimes, but I've had it done occasionally at Photo Gizzmo, and I'd assume Lens and Repro and probably other shops can drill lensboards for you.

Vick Vickery
15-Feb-2008, 21:20
Anybody with an electric drill and an adjustable hole cutter can mount a lens on a wood board! Drill the hole from the back after finding the center with a line from each corner to the opposite corner...when the center guide drill bit penetrates the front, turn the board over and finish the hole from the front (no splintering that way). Its really no big deal...its about a 5-minute job if you take your time! Measure twice, drill once!!!

Renato Tonelli
16-Feb-2008, 15:34
Aha! I might consider doing it myself after all.

David A. Goldfarb
16-Feb-2008, 15:41
I've done it myself as well. It's not rocket science. If you get a set of keyhole saws, one of them is usually close enough to the size of the shutter. I clamp the board face up to a piece of scrap wood and a table using two or three clamps and drill with a hand drill.

lenser
16-Feb-2008, 16:03
Hi, Renato.

I ran into a problem with one shutter and a wooden board for my Zone VI.

I had the hole bored including an inset area for the retaining ring, but did not take into account the extra needed inset diameter for the rear cell set to screw into the shutter. I thought it was all the way in and was dumbfounded by the fact that absolutely nothing would focus. A quick visit to a machinist friend solved that problem (after it took about three days to finally figure out what was wrong.)

Turns out that the slope of the cell section was not able to clear the edge of the bored hole and so it was not near it's needed "seat" in the shutter.

Any decent machinist or woodworking shop should be able to help if you need more than just the normal hole.

Good luck.

Tim