PDA

View Full Version : West Coast LF Gathering?

jetcode
14-Feb-2008, 11:37
I have noticed that there is a quite a community of Large Format photographers in Northern California, specifically the Bay Area. I am wondering if we could get together for a shoot or social event sometime? I'd like to open the invitation to all West Coast LF folks.

Anyone out there interested?
Joe Thibodeau - West Marin County

Vaughn
14-Feb-2008, 12:42
I'd love to, but while I am in Northern CA, I am 275 miles north of the SF Bay Area. But if anyone is heading up to Humboldt County, let me know.

Vaughn

vijaylff
14-Feb-2008, 12:57
Good idea.

I'd be interested in a half-day, shoot-oriented gathering somewhere in the Bay Area. I live on the Peninsula.

-Vijay

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Feb-2008, 13:07
I'm involved with a group of about 8 other LF photographers in the Bay Area. We regularly get together for day and weekend shoots at local sites, including Point Reyes, Big Sur, the San Mateo county coast, state parks, etc. Drop me an e-mail if you want me to put you on the list for our next get-together, which should be sometime early next month.

jetcode
14-Feb-2008, 15:26
I'm involved with a group of about 8 other LF photographers in the Bay Area. We regularly get together for day and weekend shoots at local sites, including Point Reyes, Big Sur, the San Mateo county coast, state parks, etc. Drop me an e-mail if you want me to put you on the list for our next get-together, which should be sometime early next month.

sounds good brian - joe

jss
14-Feb-2008, 16:12
I'd love to be involved with any bay area LF happenings.

Asher Kelman
14-Feb-2008, 16:15
sounds good brian - joe
Add my name too!

Asher

vijayn
14-Feb-2008, 18:03
I'd love to be involved too - but I travel frequently and may not be always available. Please add me to the list too.

Brian Vuillemenot
14-Feb-2008, 23:28
Thanks all for your interest. If you want to be added to the e-mail list, e-mail me off the forum, since I won't be sending the group e-mail through the forum. We are planning on getting together along the coast next month. We are also having a get together in Yosemite Valley from May 9-13 if you're interested.

Jim Noel
15-Feb-2008, 10:57
I see more and more groups getting together for photographic outings.(I refuse to use the word "shoots" as that should be reserved for guns.) On the other hand I know that camera clubs are either dead or on their death beds. Originally the clubs were formed to provide opportunities for groups to get together to make and discuss photographs. Then they evolved into monthly and yearly competitions.
Perhaps the evolvement into highly organized groups with all kinds of rules is the major reason for their demise.

About 2 years ago I started a group consisting primarily of my former students. We meet on an irregular basis to make photographic expeditions, or discuss current work and other photographic topics. Occasionally we wil view the latest potography oriented DVD. There are no dues, no rules other than courtesy, no officers - just a group of people with a common interest. It works for us, perhaps it will work for others.

jss
15-Feb-2008, 11:21
Jim,

I've been part of small groups that formed, met once, then never materialized. But more recently I am finding other groups to join. A friend of mine works at Genentech and they have enough avid photographers that they organize outings. I've been with some of them on night shots.

I think the style of group you describe (small, informal, irregular) is probably the best formula for success. I've wanted to form a group, but the act of formation seems to kill things off rather quickly. :)

jason

Sideshow Bob
15-Feb-2008, 17:26
Sure, I'm interested.

Gale

Brian Vuillemenot
15-Feb-2008, 18:05
Our group is pretty informal- it's nothing like a club or any regular meetings. It's just a bunch of guys (ladies welcome, too!) who get together once in a while to expose film and talk about photography.

Ted Stoddard
16-Feb-2008, 17:59
Yeah I agree we all definitely need to get together also besides the yosemite thing coming in May I am also trying to plan an outing in the Florida Everglades sometime this or next year... Yousemite email coming soon if people are still interested email me or Brian.... Hope all is well in Cali... Keep seeing with your minds eye.... Ted

jetcode
17-Feb-2008, 07:45
please direct your email address submissions to Brian - thanks, joe

while I think photography outings can be fun in a social setting I was thinking of an afternoon or evening of examining prints or visiting a gallery, likely more social then work oriented

dsphotog
28-Feb-2008, 19:47
Hello all,
I'm in Modesto, but would enjoy attending any mountain, bay or coastal outings, or gatherings.
Thanks
David Silva
www.davidsilvaphoto.com
Real cameras are measured in inches...
...Not pixels.

Peter Langham
28-Feb-2008, 21:38
A social gathering like Joe is suggestinig soulds good. Sharing prints would be nice. I am in the North Bay.

Peter

seabee1999
28-Feb-2008, 22:09
I'd be game depending on when and where.

God Bless,
David

Tony Karnezis
29-Feb-2008, 01:35
Great idea, Joe. Count me in.

jetcode
29-Feb-2008, 09:46
I live in Marin County - do weekends work for everybody?

Peter Langham
29-Feb-2008, 15:47
I'm in Napa. I work some weekends, so they don't always work for me. They are as good as any other day, though. Keep me posted.

Peter

Brian Vuillemenot
1-Mar-2008, 01:15
O.K. guys, I'm putting together a couple Bay Area get-togethers for March:

Saturday, March 8: San Mateo county coast. Let's meet up at Pescadero Beach and explore a 10-mile stretch of the coast along Highway 1. I've shot in this area numerous times before, but always find something new every time I return. Some of us will be there for first light; many can only make it for the afternoon photography session. In addition to Pescadero Beach, there's San Gregorio Beach, Pomponio Beach, Pigeon Point Lighthouse, and Bean Hollow Beach. We can have lunch after the morning session and share/critique prints. I plan to end the day at Bean Hollow photographing all of the beautiful and surreal tafoni sandstone formations.

Saturday to Sunday, March 29 to 30: Big Sur. We will meet near Highway 1 just south of Carmel. The morning shoot will be at Carmel Beach, Garrapata State Beach, and/or Point Lobos State Reserve. The afternoon can be to remain in the same area, or move south to Pfieiffer Big Sur State Park/ Julia Pfieffer Burns State Park. There are several campsites in the area, including at Pfieffer Big Sur SP. This area has a multitude of shooting opportunities, and yet another scenic coastal vista lies around every corner!

If you e-mailed me to get on the list, you should have received an e-mail announcement. I will e-mail out more specific information as the dates approach. If you want to get on the list, send me an e-mail off of the forum. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Ted Stoddard
10-Mar-2008, 20:29
So how did it go everyone? Details and images would be nice...

Andy K.
6-Aug-2008, 14:12
Can you please put me on the list? I am located in the East Bay and it would be great to get together with other large format photographers! email: gaintsequoia at gmail dot com.

Thx
Andy

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Aug-2008, 19:15
I would like to give everyone a heads up. Per Volquartz is going to be giving a workshop/gathering in Northern California from October 20th to the 24th and the weekends before and after. We will base ourselves in Arcata. More details to follow. Oh, by the way Vaughn has offered to give a carbon demo and we will have the use of the University darkroom evenings and weekends. There is a post on APUG for more details.

Jim