PDA

View Full Version : Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer

blevblev
14-Feb-2008, 10:53
Someone gave me a gallon of Silvergrain Clearfix Alkaline Fixer so it would be thrown out. Is this stuff any good? I looked it up and read that if you use it, you should wash the print - after the stop bath and before putting it into the fixer - so that the acid in the stop bath won't ruin the alkaline fixer. Is it worth using this stuff?

Digitaltruth
16-Feb-2008, 13:19
Hi,

We are the manufacturer of Clearfix Alkaline Fixer and you can read full information about this product on the Silvergrain Clearfix and Clearwash Information Sheet (http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/silvergrain-fixandwash.html)

The information that you have read elsewhere is incorrect as it does not apply to Clearfix Alkaline. I think you must have been reading about another alkaline fixer, as Clearfix is the only alkaline fixer currently available which is specifically designed to work with a stop bath WITHOUT requiring an intermediate rinse.

--Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
www.digitaltruth.com (http://www.digitaltruth.com)

blevblev
16-Feb-2008, 15:05
I meant so it "wouldn't" be thrown out. Anyone? I have tried it, and it seems ok. It smells pretty bad though...

Michael Graves
16-Feb-2008, 16:04
I use the Photo Formulary TF4 alkaline fixer. It's smell is somewhat reminiscent of cat piss on a rotten egg, but it works well. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that prints tone better in selenium after using that then they do after a bath in Kodafix. The print color is much more appealing.

Jim Ewins
16-Feb-2008, 16:21
I use the TF-4 and stop bath is not necessary.

domenico Foschi
16-Feb-2008, 16:22
I use the Photo Formulary TF4 alkaline fixer. It's smell is somewhat reminiscent of cat piss on a rotten egg, but it works well. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems that prints tone better in selenium after using that then they do after a bath in Kodafix. The print color is much more appealing.

Michael,
what color?
Thank you,
DOmenico

Gary L. Quay
16-Feb-2008, 16:29
Look on digitaltruth.com. The makers claim that they have made some breakthroughs in environmentally sound photocemistry. I have some, but I haven't used it yet. Alkaline fixers are supposed to be easier to wash out of the print.

When I use alkaline fixers, I use a fresh water stop instead of a stop bath.

Digitaltruth
16-Feb-2008, 16:33
I tried to post earlier, but for some reason it hasn't shown up. My company manufactures this product and it is the only alkaline fixer currently on the market that does NOT require an intermediate water rinse in between the stop bath and fixer. Of course, if you are trying to maintain an alkaline environment throughout your processing sequence you should avoid using a stop bath altogether and just use plain water, but if you want to use Clearfix Alkaline as a regular fixer, then it will work just fine with your stop bath due to its advanced buffering system.

blevblev
16-Feb-2008, 17:26
Excuse my ignorance-I'm new at this- why is it an advantage to keep the ph on the alkaline side?

Toyon
16-Feb-2008, 18:25
I would like to know if anyone else has tried Silvergrain Liquidol. I found the results disappointing with very low contrast, muddy results.

CG
17-Feb-2008, 02:16
...why is it an advantage to keep the ph on the alkaline side?

If processing prints, the benefits are:
Overfixing is less likely to cause damage to the print.
Washing of the print is faster.

C

Digitaltruth
18-Feb-2008, 04:53
Toyon, there is NO SUCH THING as "Silvergrain Liquidol". Liquidol is a developer made by another manufacturer and has NO RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER to Silvergrain products.

Digitaltruth
18-Feb-2008, 04:56
The other reason to use an alkaline or neutral fixer applies if you are working with a pyro or staining-type film developer. Acid may remove part of the stain, so it is highly recommended to avoid any acid stop bath or fixer with these materials.

Toyon
18-Feb-2008, 06:43
My apologies to Silvergrain. It is Photographers Formulary that manufactures Liquidol.

argentique
24-Jun-2008, 12:48
I meant so it "wouldn't" be thrown out. Anyone? I have tried it, and it seems ok. It smells pretty bad though...

I'd love to buy some Silvergrain fix but hard to find in France… I think all the chem manufacturers should do like Silvergrain and try to find more eco friendly products.

I live in the middle of nowhere and don't want to pollute my environment. When you look at ID-11 dev for instance, it doesn't sound too good for your garden…

Don Dudenbostel
24-Jun-2008, 13:00
Hi,

We are the manufacturer of Clearfix Alkaline Fixer and you can read full information about this product on the Silvergrain Clearfix and Clearwash Information Sheet (http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/silvergrain-fixandwash.html)

The information that you have read elsewhere is incorrect as it does not apply to Clearfix Alkaline. I think you must have been reading about another alkaline fixer, as Clearfix is the only alkaline fixer currently available which is specifically designed to work with a stop bath WITHOUT requiring an intermediate rinse.

--Jon Mided

Digitaltruth Photo
www.digitaltruth.com (http://www.digitaltruth.com)

Is the 5 gallon size clear fix a 5 gallon jug or does it dilute to make 5 gallons? I've been using the Formulary equivalent for a couple of years but the odor is very strong. Your product looks interesting.

Digitaltruth
24-Jun-2008, 13:35
We have recently reformulated Clearfix, and it is now available in a Neutral rather than Alkaline version. Clearfix Neutral has all the advantages of a non-acid fixer - fast washing times, compatibility with pyro/staining-type developers - and by using a neutral pH we have eliminated virtually all odor that is inherent in alkaline fixers.

All of the sizes quoted on our web site are the actual volumes of liquid concentrate. Each size can be diluted at either 1+4 or 1+7, so here are the volumes of working solution that each bottle of concentrate will make:

32oz Clearfix Neutral = 1.25 gallons (1+4) or 2 gallons (1+7)
1 gallon Clearfix Neutral = 5 gallons (1+4) or 8 gallons (1+7)
5 gallons Clearfix Neutral = 25 gallons (1+4) or 40 gallons (1+7)

The 5 gallon size is primarily used in educational and industrial darkrooms.

Don Dudenbostel
24-Jun-2008, 19:17
Thanks for the information. I'll have to give it a try. At the moment I'm printing two museum exhibitions so 5 gallons would be a good size.

How do you recommend testing for residual silver? Will the standard stain test work with this fixer?

Thanks!

Digitaltruth
25-Jun-2008, 01:59
Yes, all standard tests that you would perform on any fixer will work with Clearfix Neutral.