PDA

View Full Version : Using Velvia 100 in city at night - filter needed?

newmoon2night
13-Feb-2008, 22:58
I normally stick to rural landscapes, but am thinking of doing some cityscapes, and particularly shots including brighly lit shop windows etc.
My film use is all Velvia 100 - would I need to use a particular colour correction filter for shots including bright lights etc?
Apologies if this is a pretty basic question, but it's not an area I've needed to consider before.
Thanks.

anchored
14-Feb-2008, 00:31
No filter should be needed for night scenes using Velvia 100... or for that matter Velvia 50 or 100F. Main concern for Velvia at night will be reciprocity failure for very long exposures... Velvia's not the best choice if running multi-minute exposures... you may get color shifts (runs towards green.). I have used Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 for night shoots up to 4-5 minutes without objectionable color shifts.

If you're not totally sold on using Velvia, and you're planning on doing multi-minute exposures, you might consider other films better suited for long exposures, such as Fuji Provia, or for blue tones tungsten film (such as Fuji 64T or Kodak 64T).

Joanna Carter
14-Feb-2008, 00:48
There are suggestions for street lighting and reciprocity, which can be found on the Fuji site. http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/professional/films.html; either click on the single film or the link for the Data Guide.

newmoon2night
15-Feb-2008, 23:20
No filter should be needed for night scenes using Velvia 100... or for that matter Velvia 50 or 100F. Main concern for Velvia at night will be reciprocity failure for very long exposures... Velvia's not the best choice if running multi-minute exposures... you may get color shifts (runs towards green.). I have used Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 for night shoots up to 4-5 minutes without objectionable color shifts.

If you're not totally sold on using Velvia, and you're planning on doing multi-minute exposures, you might consider other films better suited for long exposures, such as Fuji Provia, or for blue tones tungsten film (such as Fuji 64T or Kodak 64T).

Glen - thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I was aware that Velvia wasn't that good with multi-minute exposures, though have never seen the effect personally. I'll do a test run with my light meter and see what sort of exposures I'll be looking at.