PDA

View Full Version : Who is Dr. Darlot and is this a Darlot?

goamules
13-Feb-2008, 19:42
I'll admit it, I got trigger happy. I just won a Dr. DarlotD [sic] brass lens. That's exactly what it says, and a 3 digit number. It looks like a petzval, with a longish hood and a waterhouse stop. After winning, I had a flash of "oh no" as I'm thinking it's some knockoff from a "real Darlot". Anyone know what a "Dr. DARLOTD" (with the ending d) is?

thanks,

G

CCHarrison
14-Feb-2008, 04:08
It was fairly common for Darlot lenses to be "faked." There is a fake one on ebay now.

Benjamin French Co out of Boston imported Darlot's in the US and for almost 50 years wrote something like - "all genuine Darlot's [in the US] will be marked B.F.& Co..."

The fakes are probably as valued as the real ones for collecting interest...although I bet the quality is less in the fakes. A 3 digit Darlot would be VERY early in its manufacturing and would also not have waterhouse stops ( unless it was cut post original manufacturing).

Dan
antiquecameras.net

Toyon
14-Feb-2008, 06:38
It was fairly common for Darlot lenses to be "faked." There is a fake one on ebay now.

Benjamin French Co out of Boston imported Darlot's in the US and for almost 50 years wrote something like - "all genuine Darlot's [in the US] will be marked B.F.& Co..."

The fakes are probably as valued as the real ones for collecting interest...although I bet the quality is less in the fakes. A 3 digit Darlot would be VERY early in its manufacturing and would also not have waterhouse stops ( unless it was cut post original manufacturing).

Dan
antiquecameras.net

If you announce on a public forum that a good is being faked, you have a responsibility to alert readers how to recognize them.

CCHarrison
14-Feb-2008, 07:20
G[/QUOTE]

If you announce on a public forum that a good is being faked, you have a responsibility to alert readers how to recognize them.

interesting comment.....

There is no such thing a true Darlot ever being marked "Dr. DarlotD"

Jamin started the firm and it went through various name changes in the 1840's to 1870 period. Read more here: http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/read.php?1,1650,page=1

Thanks
Dan
antiquecameras.net

Toyon
14-Feb-2008, 07:22
Thanks for the information Dan.

goamules
14-Feb-2008, 07:35
Thanks folks. I think I bought a "knockoff" or whatever they called copies in the day. We shall see how the lens acts when it arrives. I could use another petzval, and I hope this one is. I'll take pictures of it when It comes.

Petzval Paul
14-Feb-2008, 09:13
It would be impossible for a Darlot to have a three-digit serial number since all of the earliest models would have been named "Jamin". The "Jamin-Darlot" lenses had a long run, contrary to popular belief. I've seen JD's with very low four-digit serial numbers and high five digits. Darlot - just "Darlot" - marked lenses came about well into the five-digits, probably over #20,000, so a three digit Darlot? Uh uh.

Dr.Darlot? Who knows? As a collectible it is an interesting artifact, however.

Hope that helps,

Paul

big_ben_blue
14-Feb-2008, 11:44
Let me guess - it was that Photo-arsenal "special", right? Might be a good deal if everything goes through alright; although the sellers somewhat dubious business practices aren't exactly encouraging in that aspect (have a look at the feedback, especially the ones he left...). He had two nice 14.5" Verito's too; one of them is now with a certain Mr. Galli (lucky fellow :-) ).

Petzval Paul
14-Feb-2008, 12:01
I just checked ebay and I have two observations: 1) somebody has a gorgeous J-D CC lens for sale and 2) there seems to be another knock-off Darlot up fpr grabs. I am not an expert, but the whole plate "extra rapid" lens up there seems unlike any other Darlot I have ever seen. The incription is cheaply done and looks nothing like any of the other dozens and dozens of Darlots I have laid eyes on. Moreover, it doesn't seem to have the AD logo (Alphonse Darlot), nothing about "Paris", etc. Just the word "Darlot" as if to attract a potential and uneducated buyer.

If I had a camera big enough, I'd be bidding on that J-D. It's really sweet!

- Paul

goamules
14-Feb-2008, 13:38
Yeah, that one "Extra Rapid" DaRloT is pretty wacked. But, it wasn't made by the Doctor....like mine! I hope mine comes with all the pieces and in the next few weeks. Cross your fingers. Now that REAL CC one is looking great....but will go for way too much for me.

Did you see the two wollensaks, one mislabled as a "number 5" that was really a giant Verito? Sold a couple days ago. A little iffy for me, but then I got trigger happy on this recent Darlot medical lens.

Toyon
14-Feb-2008, 18:07
That #5 had bad separation. Of more interest was the rare Beach Series A, the softer-focus of the two versions Beach made. They were modified Tessars the front element of which was hand polished to be aspherical. He held several patents for increasing the depth-of-field of lenses by inducing axial abberation - an effect that Rudolf Kingslake explains in "Lenses in Photography."

Petzval Paul
15-Feb-2008, 04:58
The Wollensak Beach is an interesting lens. I can't recall seeing any images made with one but the very concept of how it is hand polished with the circles and all is intriging. Not a lot of hand-polished, 20th century lenses, that's for sure. Pinkham and Smith were supposed to have done that (minus the circles, of course) and look at the prices on those nowadays! I do have to say that they money spent on mine was entirely worth it, however, as it fully lives up to its reputation - just a fantastic peice of glass. Magical, really. I also saw that Verito; it definately had lost too much of its mojo to bother hasseling with unless it was dirt cheap. How much did they go for?

CC Harrison: "There is a fake one on ebay now." I guess that was the extra rapid I mentioned before? What a lame rip-off. That thing is so bogus... God, I feel like buying it just to have it just to have a text-book example of a fugazi Darlot! It's laughable.

Even more funny: it says "rapid", not "rapide" as all Dalot rapid lenses do. Hell, they were French! Oh, and '6 1/2 x 8 1/2'? I think not! I have see Darlots marked with their FL's, only in the metric system!!!!!! Duh.....

- Paul

goamules
15-Feb-2008, 08:10
I didn't know about the Beech lens connection. That's very interesting. Do you have a picture you've taken that you can post?

You should get the fake Darlot, we'll start a collecting frenzy!

Garrett

Petzval Paul
15-Feb-2008, 08:54
Hey Garrett,

Good to see you "over here". Sorry if I wasn't clear - I have the P&S, not the Beach. It was expensive, but one of those "bury me with it" items that you can never sell. I have just a few of those - a factory nickel-plated Darlot with a copper (not brass) barrell and my circa 1860 11 and 1/2" mint Holmes, Booth & Haydens is the other. Thinking of selling my Dallmeyer 3B - MINT, complete with a waterhouse stop, flange, original lacquer, etc. It's perfect - best you're going to find. I'll probably ebay it and let the bidding go wild as it seems apt to do these days!

It may be a while before I learn how to get the most out of my P&S; yet, that's part of the fun, isn't it? I shot a few half-plate negs in my backyard the other day and made salt prints from them yesterday just to see what it would do in a scenic/landscape situation and it's incredible. The one I had always hoped to find. Don't think a SF lens can't be used in landscapes - it can, but getting it to work the best for us is a bit of a task.

I think the beach is a very interesting design, certainly unique. I'd love to see a "Jim Galli" test on one!

Passing on the Darlot but have my sites set on the P&L. CCHarrison outbid me yesterday but he better get his wallet out 'cause I'm bidding large!

- Paul

goamules
7-Apr-2008, 13:12
I finally got this monster mounted on my 8x10 Century studio camera. It looked really sharp, so I shot a portrait (I do wetplate collodion by the way). My model and I were very happy with the way it turned out. It's the only shot I've taken with it, and turns out to be my favorite collodion portrait so far. Half plate.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2388220955_7305b69cd5.jpg

A comparison shot with a later SeRoCo f5 petzval is here:
www.flickr.com/photos/garrettsphotos/sets/72157601802735284/detail/

So this lens will be called "The Doctor" from now on. We'll never know who made this petzval, but I like it.

And the lens.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/2388343099_5c4dac6ab8.jpg

Murray
7-Apr-2008, 13:46
One side-step off topic, please. Any guess at the age of the following (Petzval Projection) lens?

I acquired a short (4-1/4") Ilex Adjustable projection lens f/2.5 Jim Galli confirmed is a Petzval.

If I'm lucky at close-up distance it might be usable on 4x5, even if a circular image. Having a tube-plate lens board made as it has no flange.

Nickel-plated brass. I haven't found any info on them. Probably 20th c. Has engraving (more modern than brass lenses) with Name, f.l, f/2.5 and IIRC No. 3967. Don't know if that's s/n or model number.

I'll use it whether I id it or not - doesn't matter ...just curious.

Thank you

Murray
Holland MI