PDA

View Full Version : Noob; film exposed, now what?

Tim k
12-Feb-2008, 19:29
Ok, I'm such a noob, I'm more like a nob.

I've been trying to mentally sort out the lf process. I'm going to be using the double sided film holders in 4x5 and have somebody else do the processing. I've got it straight in my mind how to load the lil buggers, but what the heck do I do with em after I've taken the shot (assuming I get that figured out). More specifically how do I get the exposed film to the lab? Do I take the whole darned thing in, or put the exposed film in something else?

Hope somebody gets a chuckle out of this, but its driving me nuts trying to find something on the web. God forbid, I go buy a book and read instructions.

Thanks guys
Tim K

Scott Kathe
12-Feb-2008, 19:52
I have brought film to the lab still in film holders but what you usually do is pull it out of the film holder and put it back in a spare light tight sleeve and back in a spare set of the three boxes. Now the question becomes where do I get an empty box? Try your lab and if they don't have any someone here may take pity on you and just give you a box. If you want I can send you a box.

Scott

John Kasaian
12-Feb-2008, 19:54
Color film, I presume? If you're shooting B&W, why not process it yourself? Come to think of it, why not process color film??

Tim k
12-Feb-2008, 19:58
Well, thanks Scott, that makes perfect sense. I'll try the pity thing on the local lab first.
Thanks again.
Tim K

Tim k
12-Feb-2008, 20:01
John, Good lord man. Do you want my head to explode? First I have to figure out how to expose the lil sheets. :)

Mark Woods
12-Feb-2008, 20:03
Put your name on the film holders. Hopefully you noticed that the dark slides have a silver and a black side. The silver (or white) is for unexposed film, and the black side if for exposed. Turn in the film holders to the lab. They'll do the rest. I have to admit that I don't do this method since I only shoot B&W LF and process it myself. My day job is color and that goes to the lab.

Tim k
12-Feb-2008, 20:08
Mark, I got that silver/white dark side deal from a link to a video that was posted here on the site. The video was a HUGE help.
Thanks

Colin Corneau
12-Feb-2008, 20:17
Keep em in a spare box and sleeve - load 'em in either back in the darkroom or in a changing bag/tent.
You'll get the box after you expose enough film, but you can lay your hands on one either through a lab or the helpful folks here.

Glenn Thoreson
13-Feb-2008, 09:51
If you put your film in a used box of different brand, type, whatever, be sure you clearly label it with what's in it, how it was exposed or what processing you want, i.e. normal or push/pull. You could be very unhappy if you don't give the lab this information.

Skorzen
13-Feb-2008, 10:16
Just to clarify is this B&W or color film? I know you said you don't want to process it yourself, but it is so cheep and easy to process B&W that, especially for someone just getting the hang of LF, it would make a lot of sense to do that. You save time by not having to wait for the lab (do you have a lab that does 4X5?) plus you get to control development which in the long run you will probably want to do anyway. I don't know what B&W lab costs are (never used em and there aren't really any around here that I know of) but you could pick up an 8X10 print drum, base and the chemicals you need to develop for less than your first 50 (or less?) sheets will cost you.

grizzz
13-Feb-2008, 11:03
Mark, I got that silver/white dark side deal from a link to a video that was posted here on the site. The video was a HUGE help.
Thanks

Hey Tim, can you post a link to that video? I am as green as you are and could use the help. Thanks, griz.

Tim k
13-Feb-2008, 11:29
Skorzen,
I haven't got to the "what kind of film" decision yet. I may look into the b&w developing, but to eliminate a variable up front, I thought I'd take it to someone who knows what they are doing. Most likely it will be color. My primary interest is landscape, and color is just about all I've ever done.
Thanks
Tim K

Tim k
13-Feb-2008, 11:34
Hey Tim, can you post a link to that video? I am as green as you are and could use the help. Thanks, griz.

Here you go

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30027&highlight=transport+film

grizzz
13-Feb-2008, 12:37
Thanks.....

Clay Turtle
13-Feb-2008, 17:19
If you put your film in a used box of different brand, type, whatever, be sure you clearly label it with what's in it, how it was exposed or what processing you want, i.e. normal or push/pull. You could be very unhappy if you don't give the lab this information.
An added reason for keeping those empty boxes is they have the notch code of the film you are using. I once bought some film (Kodak) loaded it but didn't shoot it for awhile so when I did go to use it, I wasn't sure what film was in the holder? The film wasn't being produced & I couldn't find a notch code to identify it. I too did scenics in isolated places so I carried b&w as well as color neg & chrome so I learned to check the the notch code as I unloaded the holders, when you are using a lot of different films (speeds, types & manufacturers) having the old box with the codes can save you making a costlyy mistake.
I use little stickers (about the size of return address labels) identifing the film across the slides sealing them then when I shoot I wrap them around the outside edge. A double check system but when you are backing a lot of film around in the field, it is easy to get holders intermixed. I also use resealable plastic bags for individual holders as well as larger freezer bags for film types. Dust & moisture can become a major headache when you are out in the field. Oh, I use those big (clothes) storage bags for the film bag, assorted items like meters & camera as well.
About color processing, I worked at labs processing film but I still send out color to labs. Unless you are doing a large volume (either a lot of 4x5 or ulf) maintaining chemistry becomes a factor (shelf life) besides maintaining temperature is critical with color. But it is good to know so when you decide to do your own, slide film & cibrachrome are actually easier to use & therefore perhaps a better starting point.